Nitinat Report July 3-5

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Nitinat Report July 3-5

Post by more force 4 »

Well, Bobson didn't make it to report, so I'll have to cover for him. FAN-FLIPPING-TASTIK WEEKEND (sorry to plagiarise, Bobson). Packed 4 kids (if 6 foot plus counts still), 2 tents, assorted camping stuff, 2 boards, about 6 sails, 3 masts, assorted windsurfing gear, two massive mountainbikes, 1 large mountain unicycle, assorted biking gear, tools and supplies for bike ramp building ... wish I had a long-box pickup. Saturday started late, but so did we, so it was OK for us. Wind pretty light, I sailed 7.5, had to go to 5.8 for a half an hour, then back to 7.5.

Sunday morning started with trip to caves, I'll get Roger to post some of his pics - white cave crickets etc. Heard air show on way back up the trail, missed that, too bad. Great sail, steadily building wind - Roger got in both footstraps and harness, and made it back where he started :D. I sailed gradually smaller sails till I was overpowered on 4.9, found I'd brought the 4.2 instead of 4.5, rigged it anyway, had a couple of just-powered runs then back to 4.9.

Monday started with an early morning trip with Fred S. fishing - really fast water through the Narrows, low tide made bar crossing iffy, luckily just a low swell. Loads of fish (mostly cohoe, some sockeye and one spring, that shook loose the hook in the air) and of course, dogfish. Seals, porpoises, birds - no whales this time (can't have EVERYthing at Nitinat, but almost!!!!), a low swell made one girl a little sick. Incoming strong tide meeting outgoing very strong race from Nitinat made the bar-Narrows white and frothy, pretty cool. Back for 11:30 AM start to windsurfing, went out 4.9 but overpowered soon. Switched to 4.2, had 3 straight glorious hours of powered up on this tiny sail (a little soft in holes, but 90% time fully powered!!!!). 4.5 to 5.0 would have been OK with a smaller board, I think. Made about 3/4 jibes, planed right through a couple :D . Found I Could make the board get in the air off a big enough ramp - scared myself :shock: and somehow got separated from the board in mid-air, landed well upwind of board, so no harm done to either. Took 3 1/2 hours to repack truck :cry: but this is the price for packing so much into 3 days!!

BTW, a new raised skinny is mostly built near 'hang time' on the bike trail. Bring body armour.

Morley
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Fan-flippin'-what..??

Post by Bobson »

Thanks for taking over the report MoFo4!! dude, that alot of gear and people to take.... :shock: DOOD!! Sounds like you got lots of TOW. I'm going to have to start practicing when I get back as it sounds like your kicking my A&& is the planing jibe dept.

Nice work DUDE! :D