Nitnaht....commercial operations takeover the beach.

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Good Morning,

Dale Moffatt here, for those of that are reading this post that do not know me. I have lived in Nitinaht for 9 years, operated a businesss (the store), and managed the campground for the last three years. I can truly say I have been here at the lake since kiteboarding came to the area and have seen alot of the "fireworks" since. I am commenting on this subject for two reasons, on a personal level, and on a factual level.

Personal level....

When you directly mention one individual or business your are directly involving them, and as such if not careful can affect them both in a positive and negative way. I strongly feel if you are going to mention someone or label them, then you need to get all the facts before you in this case attack them (especially if you involved personal comments like taxes). There is no mention of others who could be mentioned/involved also in this thread, both on a business level and personal level (but lets not go there).

Kiteboarding is growing on a exponential level, whether it is Elevation or other schools, their presence is necessary. I do feel strongly that these presences should contribute in some ways to the community as well as enhance the area. Elevation Kiteboarding has done both, voluntarily and generously. As Kevin has mentioned, they make available time and equipment to the local kids and adults when they show up and have questions. They support the local business by bringing people to the lake, which ultimately brings more money into the area for locals (the store, the motel etc etc). Of course they themselves purchase fuel, food, use the showers, all which support the local area on a consistant basis.

The safety implications are also paramount. On a personal level, knowing that boats are available in case I injure myself or break down is a huge relief that allows me to sail with confidence and comfort. I will say should I ever benifit from such a rescue, a gratuity would indeed be offered regardless if they are friends or not.

As for the debate of the motorized units on the lake. This debate is irrelevant regarless of how anyone feels. Simply put they are allowed to operate on the lake at any capacity just as windsurfers and kiteboarders are able to occupy any area of the lake. There is absolultely no jurisdiction with the execption of MOT (Ministry of Transport) rules that apply. So whether you feel they get in your way, are noisy, stinky, ugly....whatever it doen't matter, they have just as much right to be there as you or I do PERIOD.

OK on a FACTUAL level.

Boundaries of Campgound are not an issue. The tent and school area are out of the boundary. Yes the boundaries do extend up beyond the "sauna area" about 200 ft.

The campground is a Ministry campground, with the management contract held by the Ditidaht Band, who put the management of the campground out to tender each year.

Yes there is a 14 day rule in effect. It is up to the ministry and camp host to enforce this rule. Camp hosts and their desinated workers are exlcuded from the 14 day rule and evidenced by a Letter of Exemption.

Businesses are typically not allowed to operate within campgound boundaries. However, there is a process with allows one to do so..It is not my place to speak on behalf of Elevation however I will say they have been absolutly diligent and cooperative in pursuing this process in accordance to all ministry standards. THEY ARE THERE LEGITIMATELY AND IN FULL AWARENESS AND HAVE SUPPORT OF THE MINISTRY.

On a factual basis and safety basis, as a former member of the Nitinaht Emergency Services unit I have responded to many injuries within the campground and on the lake (windsurfers and kiteboarders). Nitinaht Emerg. Services do have a rescue boat, which has been used on occassion to help sailors in distress, however it takes time to mobilize, launch and locate those that are in distress. Furthermore, aside from myself others in the Emergency Services are not familiar with the procedures of approaching downed kites or windsurf rigs to properly and safely extract the person and gear from the lake. Having the schools and their Jet skies available for emergency rescue is a HUGE boon for the simple reason of timelyness and safety as the operators of these vehicles are familiar on how to deal with situations involving our gear (both windsurfers and kiters). Yes if you breakdown and are able to swim the these vehicles are not necessary. However if you have a broken arm, leg, neck injury etc etc, risk of further injury or death is a far greater possiblity should you attempt to self rescue (if you are able).

As for loss of Campsites. I have only once seen the campsite at or near capacity once. So to say that there is no space or that they are taking up to much space is inaccurate and unreasonable. I have been here for the most part of this season as well and again have not seen the campground at capacity. If the issue is that you do not have access to your favorite spot thoughout the season, sadly that is unfortunate but once again irrelevant in regards to management. Once again this is a moot point as the "big" tent is outside campground boundaries. So if I set up a village and tied up the entire beach all the way up to the river that debate has no relevance in regards to the campground or Ministry. For those of you that think your camp fees don't apply if you camp up in that area, you are more than likely wrong...If you park your vehicle the camp boundary you need to pay your dues.

Ultimately this issue, questions and concerns should be dealt with by the appropriate people. These are:

The Ministry of Tourism, Culture and the Arts (Ministry with Jurisidiction)
The Nitinaht Visitor Center (Operations)
Last edited by kitesurferdale on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
elevationkiteboarding

Elevation kiteboarding

Post by elevationkiteboarding »

Good morning,

I have to say this is the first time in 5 years that i set up a user name and post something on this forum however my name was said so many times and things said that are not true that I have to set this straight.

First of all, the reason we moved our tent and the boats to that particular place on the beach this year is mainly for safety.
Maybe you noticed how most beginners launch from that area. So now we are closer and there all the time to help not only our students but also beginners that are not necessairly taking lessons.

I feel that the beach is big enough and that there are so many other spots to camp. I don't think we take over 5 spots like it was said.
Our tent is taking what could be 1 camping area and there is still a lot around us. A lot of people have been camping around us and have no problem with that. Yes we are tenting in the school tent, in case anyone is worried about where we sleep. In the campgorund boundaries we only have our vehicule parked.

I am sorry Batman if we took over your camp spot. how were we to know?...

We moved the boats and removed the old ancorage to make more room on the water downwind and keep them out of everyone's way.

Our goal is to keep it as safe as possible on the beach and on the water.
We are all certified and insured instructors, have first aid and boat licences. And yes I do have a business number and pay my taxes if anyone is worried about that.

I do like to do everything legit !

As far as the boundaries of the campground, I thought by moving further from the campground we would make most people happy. The space where we put the tent is shared with everyone. For us , our students and everyone that wants to come and hang out.

And it is true that we are out of the park boundaries. But still we are working with the Ditidaht community and the MOTCA on this. They are fully aware of our school and approve for us to be here. They actually had so much nice things to say about our business that made me feel really good about being here.

So what I want to say is we are really nice people and if anyone have any issues about us being here, please come and talk to me personaly and I am sure we can work it out. We are pretty easy going.

Also after this topic was started I realized how much support we have from a lot of people and I wanted to say "thank you everyone" for being so nice. We could not be doing this without the support. BIG THANKS

So if you see us as an issue come and talk to us personaly. We are not going to bite but just work things out.

I believe we are doing a good thing. And doing it right.

I wish you all a good summer.

Enjoy the sunshine

Marie
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

It's always nice to see your smiling face on the water Marie. After Dwayne rescued me and my sail last year I have changed my tune about the PWC's. It's comforting to know that help is available. Witness Saturday July 11th - the "Day of the Stupid Winds." There must have been a dozen rescues.
I wish my TOW was longer!
Sandy Beach

Post by Sandy Beach »

Well said, Marie.

In my opinion, as a new kiteboarder (and mid level windsurfer), I strongly think that IKO-certifed instruction is important for the safety of this growing sport. Nitinat is a very good place on Vancouver Island to learn with the consistent, predicable thermal winds.

Elevation and the instructors affliated with the business have an excellent reputation as a highly respected and world renowned company. They are a great resource for those people interested in learning more about getting into kiteboarding, and their 'structure' on the beach is a place to point those folks that have questions. I can't see that they take up 'prime' camping space at all.

Personally, when I'm on the water at Nitinat, I always look out for newbies and am relieved to see the jetski-assisted kiteboarders, since I know that that beginner will not be an issue (kitemare in front of me).

Along with many friends/family over the years, I have benefitted from the rescue (of various motorized boats) at Nitinat and am quite relieved that they are out there. Also, I notice that the operators of the PWC's seem to always keep their eyes peeled for stranded sailors, board fetches, etc. in need of assistance. Lucky to have that with this booming sport.

This forum thread has probably done more to highlight Elevation's success and the continued support that they have at Nitinat.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

mortontoemike wrote:It's always nice to see your smiling face on the water Marie.
I would certainly concur....Dwayne's smile is pretty cute too :wink: Mark on the other hand is just a scary dood :shock: :lol:

Still hate jet skis, swim ya rookies, swim :!:
Ed

Nitinaht..........commercial operations take over beach

Post by Ed »

Dear Batkook,you sure opened a can of worms!Once you get your foot out your mouth,you can then have a second course of crow.Followed off maybe with,say,a can of worms?
duckbill

rookies

Post by duckbill »

I agree with Markus, its fun watching rookies swim :P
like a duck to water
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Yeah, like last week I was watching that Rookie, Bobson, swim his rig in because his boom broke! :twisted: :twisted:
I wish my TOW was longer!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

mortontoemike wrote:Yeah, like last week I was watching that Rookie, Bobson, swim his rig in because his boom broke! :twisted: :twisted:
Chinook es crappp :!: :twisted: ah, so it was a Severene Knock-off, ah well :lol:
Last edited by KUS on Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

I think Elevation is pretty clever to have found such a lifestyle and job niche. They are providing a service that is likely saving lives!! So is Dwayne Strong, and any other instructors up there. The fact that they are up the beach in a summer permanent 'camp' is very cool and all the complainers are just envious! Marie and Mark and their crew are actually freeing up space in the camp ground for all the RVs and other campers. And they are not only teaching life saving kite boarding skills, but they are rescuing everybody! (Thanks Robin!) Jude seems to have no problem with it either and that should say something significant since she represents the Dididaht. Complainers should be putting energy toward stopping the *&%*$%& multinational logging corporations or something useful!
Elevation's camp is not a problem.

http://www.wcwcvictoria.org/old-news.ph ... s=1&id=931
curses - foiled again!
pow+pow

Post by pow+pow »

batman????wtf....
sounds like batgirl 2 me w.t.f.
cant jibe...no freaking doubt you can't
kus right on cept for the swim part
the stump ....5 sites???...former years use....????

listen this is CANADA...home of the free and brave...

WTF...OVER

no more posts on this subject....
doing a great job...and moved up the beach...out of the main area, duuh???
live and let live...BE HAPPY.......ONLY! :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
johnny...
pow+pow

Post by pow+pow »

oh yea ....sip guuzzzzlllleeeeee

:shock:
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

I concur. Nuf o this f*%#&ng s*@T. time to get on with kiting. I was down at the beach on my 9m in nukin winds yesterday, i was videoing Mark doing sick moves, the sun was shining, groovey tunes were playing, Dale was asleep on the log and EVERYTHING WAS EXACTLY AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN!!!!!!!! Kite on.
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

pow+pow wrote:listen this is CANADA...home of the free and brave...
johnny...
WTF :?: :lol: too funny, I suppose standing on guard implies bravery :twisted:
Let them swim like the fish, free like the wind :arrow:
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

pow+pow wrote: WTF...OVER
no more posts on this subject.....
:lol: