Port Alberni-as a Windsurfing Destination

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
flash

Post by flash »

If you feel Port Alberni could provide a great windsurfing locale with some improvements in the way of beach access and amenities please send your suggestions to me,John Douglas,City Councillor,at our City Hall.You can do this via our city website (google the City of Port Alberni), or phone 250-720-2822, or drop your suggestions off at the front desk at 4th and Argylle.I need your input to make this happen.Thanks---John
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

How formal should we make our responses? Should we just voice our support, or would more detailed suggestions be helpful?

Suggestions from a representative group (the Windsport Community) may carry more weight. I'd be happy to join a loose knit planning committee if one were formed.

That said, if quick and targeted advice is needed I'm sure those that windsurf/kiteboard PA frequently would be able to provide the most information with the least effort. Eastside, Uddereef, IndianDog, Paul L, KSD....

Location is very important, since exposure to steady wind and a decent area of open water are essential for these sports. I'm assuming that we are talking about the area near the Harbour Quay primarily, although there are other locations that could be developed to encourage windsurfing and kiteboarding in and around PA.

The main issue is of course the poor access to the water. I think it is essential that for any waterfront redevelopment (e.g. parks and other public access) the needs of windsurfers and kiteboarders should be incorporated, since these sports could be greatly encouraged by the proper design of parking lots, grassy "rigging areas", and the beach. Proper design would also enhance the safety for those windsurfing and kiteboarding as well as specators and others using these areas.

Some windsurf and kiteboarding specific needs are:
1) an open area near parking for safe rigging of relatively fragile equipment (grassy is great). This rigging area would ideally be somewhat sheltered from the wind;
2) a large open area near the water for launching kites that is free of overhead and downwind obstacles and exposed to steady wind (kiteboarders please add suggestions);
3) beach access with a shallow slope to the water, preferably constructed of some foot/equipment friendly material like pea gravel, sand or small cobble. Ideally this area would be exposed to steady wind for a good launch off the beach.

--- this is just off the top of my head; please add more ideas
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

In addition to what has been offered, the cost of installing a webcam showing the sailing area with whitecaps day after day would pay for itself in a short period of time as sailors/kiters drop by to check out the wind, and refuel their bodies locally. Ask BWD if the webcam image downloads can be linked onto his site.
I don't know what is possible in terms of launch sites and water access, but the Squamish Spit is pretty user unfriendly, but the many volunteers of the Squamish Wind society have made it work for all levels of sailors and kiters for many years now.
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

A few questions which may affect my decision about windsurfing in Port Alberni.

1. What is the China Creek Campground/Marina like to stay at? I assume there are lots more amenities than Nitinat lake.

2. What is the wind like at China Creek? How does it compare to the Harbour Quay?

3. How does the wind compare to Nitinat lake?

Thanks

PS Back in the early 1980's wasn't China Creek The Place to go?
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

china creek is a private rv park and marina. i stopped in there last summer and they wanted me to pay to park and launch my board. fair enough, but conditions were marginal so i left. if you like rv parks, its a fine place to stay im sure. There are some nice campsites in the woods. Ive heard conditions at the Quay are usually just as good.

btw there is a cam at the alberni quay, maybe not enough folks know about it. its in the webcam pull-down menu.
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

A key thing to remember is for attracting people it's the landing that counts, not necessarily the launch. Meaning - a wide and accessible area downwind of the launch/camping/parking site will make a huge difference in attracting people, and many more families, beginners, and your average windsurfers will appreciate the place even more. Makes for safety, comfort in taking kids and friends, and allows us to spread out. Experienced windsurfers will go to the best wind spots and crawl over rocks ... (you get the picture). Next - a great parking area with grassy rigging is a huge benefit, and having toilets and outdoor shower in that area will vastly increase your pull (do the solar hot water thing and make us love you!) Finally, make a city campground or regional park, or hotel with added RV/Camping as we go for the socializing and want to stay outside and with friends, preferably at the sailing site, and we'll stay longer, spend a ton in your community, as well as spread the word about the fantastic facilities and great sailing and ease of access, etc. Oh and one last thing, allow open beers in the area, or at least have a very tolerant policing policy.
We windsurf - life must be good!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Geoffy wrote:Oh and one last thing, allow open beers in the area, or at least have a very tolerant policing policy.
Seconds the motion.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
flash

Post by flash »

Thanks for the input to date ---please keep it coming.
One person asked how formal a response to make----the best route would be a letter (outlining your goals as well as the benefits a windsurfing community could bring) to City Council via our City Clerk -- Mr. Russell Dyson.
A similar letter to the Port Alberni Port Authority ( Mr. Brad Madelung ) requesting a response would be a step in the right direction as PAPA has a more direct involvement on the foreshore.
You can find the details for contacts on the respective websites but if you have difficulty contact me at johndouglasportalberni.ca.
One other person to touch base with is our economic development manager Mr. Pat Deakin -- 250-720-2527.

ps . As someone mentioned there is a Port Alberni Web cam ,but it is titled Harbour Quay.

Cheers!---John Douglas --- P.A. City Councillor
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Hello Flash,

My name is dale moffatt, I am a resident of Port Alberni and a kiteboarder of a few years. I have alot of suggestions and ideas, and will be contacting you early next week by phone if possible. At the moment I am on Cortez Island working with very limited cell coverage.

I have kiteboarded the key on a number of occations, one which resulted in the local newspaper seeing fit to do an article on the possibility of access and development to encourage more use.

My questions is how serious is the city on wanting to look into making the city more viable to non industry, recreational users. At the moment the entire waterfront is locked up with industrial wharves and commercial/private areas that make safe access to the water very difficult. This is particularly true for kiters. I would be very willing to spend time and effort working with whom ever to "promote" these ideas to council to make Port Alberni a viable destination.

Winds are reasonable consistant, sometimes thermal as well. They typicallly do not rival the predictability of Nitinaht nor the stability of the air. However the strength of the wind typically is quite strong. Also the booms in the harbour give excellent flat water conditions

Anyways will give you a call early next week.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
duckbill

port

Post by duckbill »

eastside and I sailed the quay 4 times in the last week, 2 were 25+ knot wind days. Every time we sailed wed spent money on gas and food. I think the local merchants should be made aware of potential increased traffic, so they can get behind a push for changes in the waterfront.
like a duck to water
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

with the poor road to the nat for my RV wagon which I cherish I was tempted to drop by with family yesterday as well.....if there were minimal service "RV sailor parking" sites designated on the Quay or even if it was indicated that overnight parking on certain spots was permitted for waterfront users, that might indicate and promote higher level of usage too. A trip to PA would involve an overnighter with spending on fuel, food, movie, surf shop etc. 8)
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

I think you could get a lot of day visitors too from comox valley and nanaimo area. over night and longer stays are most definently a possibility. for starters you would need good parking, grassy rigging area, washrooms, showers to name a few.

How does wind direction here affect kite launching? they may need more space to launch.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Joostio wrote:for starters you would need good parking, grassy rigging area, washrooms, showers to name a few
well, a simple cold water shower, one porta potti, spray painted overnight parking lines and some astro turf would be easy, people need to understand we don't need much usually... 8)
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Would relish a good and safe kite launching spot.

KSD do you have any tips on nearby and decent launches? I tried the RV park way across on the north side (a good 40 min drive from Port) of the inlet but it is way to wind shadowed to be safe.

Cheers
Signature Block.
eastside

Post by eastside »

Port Alberni needs to rebrand itself. The old industrial model is definitely not working. One thing it does have is wind and a beautiful waterfront. With some outlay the existing launch could be improved but it still would be a problem for beginners as the downwind drift would put people into the mill. This could be improved with some exit points built into the harbour quay rocks.
Improved water access would probably attract kayakers and sailing regattas. Kingston in Ontario does this with the Cork international regatta. I would hazard a guess that P.A. has the most consistent winds from May to September of any urban site in Canada. Sport Tournaments are a major cash draw that would fill up some of the underutilized hotel space in the town. Improved amenities may attract new residents who are into the watersport/outdoor "lifestyle".