time to put my purse down and try a forward loop, advice?

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

time to put my purse down and try a forward loop, advice?

Post by Joostio »

Been out of sailing for a while, just picking it up again this summer (and loving it, poor wife) I am sailing comfortably in rough ocean, can plain through some jibes, jump, can do laydowns and ducks sometimes too. This is where my sailing skills have gotten too but I have yet to be able to convince my self to attempt a loop. Before I try one I would like to get a floatation device and a safety hat.

I suspect the forward is the way to start. seems to me like you just try to poke your head over and around the mast. any pointers would be great.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

read thru this thread started 5 years ago but bumped up recently, lots of good discussion, links and tips. note most of the posters are regular loopers and nobody has gotten hurt (too bad!)
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=721
:twisted: :twisted:
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Joostio,

I'd recommend not poking the head around the mast. Bad times will ensue. Learn to chop hop with the sail a little more open and try to tuck your back foot up under your butt while extending the front leg down wind. The key to the loop is staying in a compact position and throwing the rig properly. In the throw, you have to be aggressive. As soon as you've cleared the fin and are in the body position described above, punch the rig forward and slightly upwind with a straight front arm. Your back hand should be close to your face as you look back. From there you'll whip around. NEVER "toss" your body around. It's all about the rig giving you your power and rotation. The pop and throw all happen as one movement.

Forwards are easy to initiate, but require lots of technique to do cleanly or with style. For the most part they are a safe move; especially when you are trying at low altitude. Good luck!
Poultry in motion
Russian Dood

Re: time to put my purse down and try a forward loop, advice

Post by Russian Dood »

Joostio wrote:.... you just try to poke your head over and around the mast....
very good way to get ..... what is the scientific term?.... oh yeah MUNCHED. Listen to Doc - he is a loop Jedi master, as about me I am just an apprentice trying to learn the force, but I am an expert in the munching part.
Cancer must die!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

and if you have any ailments already or are over 45 say I would recommend to just skip that whole deal :lol: based on my limited but hard knocks experience, haha. It's like swerving and driving into a tree on purpose as an old driver if you have windsurfed for years and have spent the better part of it avoiding getting catapulted :wink:
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

35 with a bit left in me still. I'm starting to push the envelope on my trials bike too, so much fun learining stuff but theres always more risk. what do people where for life jackets if at all? I figure with a lid and flotation I should feel pretty safe.

I've been watching some youtube vids and noticed people turn off the wind a bit while jumpimg for a loop. Been reading the link there too to the old thread. CB vids by BWD look nlike a killer spot to try too. winters comming.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

if you want to want a life jacket you should wear one, that's still a personal choice for now. lots of guys do wear them. you will want a small one that doesnt get in the way of your hook. Impact vests are out there too as another option.
most windsurfing guys find that a nice thick winter wetsuit gives you all the flotation and padding/armor you need. I cant speak for the drysuit crowd though. A helmet is a fine idea!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

So did you try one Joost?

I am thinking about giving it a go... It would be cool to nail one before my one year anniversary of this sport. Four months left to try, I just wonder if my shoulder will stay together through it.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Had to drag this in from the other thread...
downwind dave wrote:nov 8 1995 was the first time i spun one round and sailed on. It was on starboard tack at kook st, i was on a 4.5 zeta and my tiga 254. I might forget my wifes birthday from time to time but i have committed that loop to memory!
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

not yet. only had 6.2 days on my 103 l. rather wait for 5.0 and the light board. i am packing a helmet just incase though.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

wow 14 years since.. you would thing i would have the loops all dialed in by now, plus a couple other tricks. a bit sad really. :cry: :roll: :lol:
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Everyone gets old eventually Dave... :( :x
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Hey Joost, lets make a pledge to at least attempt to loop before I get my surgery November 4th... nothing like peer pressure right? Just need the right weather!
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

loop

Post by Joostio »

I'm off too Maui on the 22nd (hope I have more wind than you did) for 2 weeks. I will probably try one there if not sooner. Maybe tommorow at CB if it happens. My last trip to Maui the sailing ended on the 3rd day with a broken rib or close to it. I crashed big time on Kehei side showing off to a tour boat. So I may wait until the second half of the trip. The helmet is packed now on each trip incase I find my balls.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I just keep telling myself that it has to be way less risky than learning most of the tricks I do bmx-ing. 10 feet up over concrete has got to have way more consequences. Then again, the whole wind factor that is out of your control, that might be what makes it scary.

Good luck in Maui.