How we use the University of Washington Wind Model

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.

How often do you check the wind forecast

Never
1%
Once a week
10%
Once a day
43%
At least 3 times a day
39%
Constantly hitting refresh on my browser!
7%

Total votes: 235

dudds

Post by dudds »

I use it exclusively to plan fishing trips. Very reliable. I sincerely hope they do not take this valuable tool away.
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

SAFETY - and the forecast

Post by Snarfer »

This site is used by fishermen, sailors, kayakers an many other non-windsport groups as a safety source. The data is extremely well organized and easily accessable. It is counter-intuitive to take a highly used information source of Pacific Northwest wind conditions and then deny access because it is being used too much. The message is that if we want to be safe, then pay up, and while I don't think this is intended, this is the message being received. Frankly it is a bit like extortion as the site will never be able to pay as it is a non-profit and kept barely afloat by fund-raising raffles from time to time. The alternative will be turn it off. Please keep this going for safety's sake.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

this seems like its a bigger deal than i guessed now that we have fishermen, pilots and ferry captains showing support. should we maybe let the media know about this? does UW even know about the ongoing virtual rally?
finally, if the mm5 is so great as all agree, why cant EC use my tax dollars to get a license or agreement in place for this info so its not on the shoulders of volunteers like dave to put it out there. i would still want a table showing my specific windsurfing beach of course. :lol:
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

I'd say no to the media right now. I don't think it would help us in any way and it would create more work for me. Unless you were volunteering to be the spokesperson?

It's not really UW that I am dealing with. It is a consortium of local (Pacific Northwest), state, and Federal agencies in the US. They fund the operation of the model and want to find ways to keep it going in the future. They don't want to limit public access, but they don't like the automated hits that I am doing in order to create the model tables. I can see their point and I am trying to explain our use of the model to them the best way I can. I'll let you know how it goes. I have offered to meet with them in Seattle and also to pay for the data (amounts to be discussed). You can read more about the consortium here:
http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~cliff/consortium.html
http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~cliff/RegEnvMass.pdf

and the financial needs here:
http://www.atmos.washington.edu/need.html

The feedback on here is definitely helpful so thanks everyone. I can't guarantee that they are reading it but I reference this thread in all of my emails to them.

As for EC, if you check the UW webstats page that I posted a few pages back you will see they are one of the highest users. They are just smart enough not to rely 100% on the model and they are also forecasting over a much wider area then we are sailing in.
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

bwd wrote:I'd say no to the media right now. I don't think it would help us in any way and it would create more work for me. Unless you were volunteering to be the spokesperson?
i'd volunteer for that role if needed. just let me know, plus for the next couple weeks all i have is time!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
sroberts

Post by sroberts »

I use the model to cross check the EC forecast for sailing cruising and racing. I check the model several times a day in the couple of days before I go out, especially in the winter.
joeltraas

please don't cut us off

Post by joeltraas »

I'd be lost chasing wind without the convenient forecast tables on here. It gives me much greater confidence that I won't be wasting gas driving to the beach, or worse yet, missing out on a set. Thanks for the hard work.
Rob Creese

UW-WRF-GFS model

Post by Rob Creese »

Many thanks to the University of Washington forecasters. Without their brilliant work, marine forecasting would seem to go back to the dark ages. I use it not only to plan time on the water, but to predict general weather in the entire city. I understand that it is even used by BC Ferries.
fins n skins

Post by fins n skins »

It would be a great loss to myself and many others. This is the most accurate site for myself before i head out on the water. This site is Simply the Best !!
extremekindness Erik

I use it a lot!

Post by extremekindness Erik »

I use it, I love it.

thanks

eke
BETTY BOOP

WIND REPORTS

Post by BETTY BOOP »

I RUN A CHARTER BUSINESS AND HAVE BEEN USING BIG WAVE DAVE'S REPORTS FOR SEVERAL YEARS . I USE IT CONSTANTLY TO BE ABLE TO BOOK CLIENTS AND HAVE AN IDEA OF WHAT TO EXPECT AS FAR AS WIND. I HAVE FOUND THAT DAVE'S PREDICTIONS ARE JUST ABOUT BANG ON EVERY TIME. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO WITHOUT IT. I KNOW OF A LOT OF OTHER CHARTER BOATS THAT RELY ON DAVE'S PREDICTIONS. PLE :D :D :D ASE DON'T LET IT GO BY THE WAYSIDE!!!
solarwind23t

Wind forecast

Post by solarwind23t »

I use this all the time, it's way better than anything out there!!
Fish

Post by Fish »

The value of this cannot be underestimated. It is better than just about anything else.
FISH
willyjim

Post by willyjim »

We have come to reply heavily on this site for planning fishing and boating trips. I'm always amazed at how detailed and accurate the predictions are. I haven't found any other site that provides the same information.
Sailcoach

Post by Sailcoach »

I use the site everyday for planning Race team training and regattas at the Royal Victoria Yacht Club. It is an invaluable service that allows us to train effectively and most importantly Safely.