Doing it alone and saftey concerns.

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
TURTLE

Doing it alone and saftey concerns.

Post by TURTLE »

I try to end up windsuring with others, however, I sometimes end up windsurfing alone.

An older guy who lives out at Gordon's beach said to me after I came off the water (he was casually walking over to get his mail) that he always wondered what he would do if he saw someone in distress out there. Hmm...made me think. I suggested that to help he could phone 911. I told him that I know I am taking the risk and if something happened it would be my fault.

Until then I didn't think of the poor guy on the beach especially if they had a heart condition...(not that he did)

Turtle
Joe

Post by Joe »

I have a small pouch that I've sewn onto the back of my harness. In it I carry a couple hand-held flares and one of those big, orange, plastic garbage bags. The bag can be blown up and tied off. It provides much better visibility if someone is trying to spot you in rough water. It provides some floatation, and can be tied to your rig if you need to ditch it and paddle to shore.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

Similiar to Joe. I have a Dakine pouch that attaches to the back of my harness (integrated system). I carry some tow rope, whistle, waterproof strobe and dye markers. I've towed in numerous people for numerous reasons over the years. The dye markers are the same idea as Joe for visibility, but I like his idea of a garbage bag better! I thought long and hard about the strobe versus flares and concluded that flares are a real pain to use sometimes, they fail or misfire, not great visibility in daytime. The strobe should keep you highly visible for long periods at night if it ever comes to that.
It's also very good to familiarize yourself with the various breakdown situations (broken boom, mast, u-joint, fin, etc) and think about what you would do to self rescue... and then actually practice/try it on a relatively easy day. You'll be amazed at just how difficult some self rescue scenarios are especially if you've no idea what to do or ever tried it before.. and then add in the typical raging conditions that breakdowns more frequently occur in!
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
asscrack

self rescue

Post by asscrack »

For those who like to travel. :shock: There is always a time when equipment fails. :cry: I have had this experience more than once.Flares did save me,on one incident.They are hard to carry safely.Extra line is a good idea,the orange garbage bag is a really good one,small to pack up,easily seen from a distance.And easily packed away in your suit or harness,most harness's have a pouch big enough.Pass the word"The travel bag"! Happy sailing! 8)
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach