Where to windsurf in Europe in the month of August?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Striki

Where to windsurf in Europe in the month of August?

Post by Striki »

I'm off to a wedding in Euopre in August and would like to spend some time windsurfing somewhere in Europe. Any suggestions for place to go, places to rent from, places to stay etc. would be really appreciated.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Never windsurfed there myself, but I've kept track of various internet talk over the years. France is crazy about sailing generally, probably Google windsurfing rentals, I don't know how much wind there is in the summer there in the nice warm places (like the Med); northern Poland's Hel Peninsula is a big windsurfing destination for the Baltic - endless sand beaches and thermal winds. Poland used to be a really cheap place to travel, Old World attractions with East Block prices. With their economic miracle of the last couple of years that may be changing. I think anywhere around the North Sea gets thermal summer wind. There are some Greek places that have thermal/venturi systems.

And the cost of flights to the Canaries once in Europe is unbelievably cheap if you want huge wind and tons of gear available.
JL

Post by JL »

Google: Sylt & Mimi zan ...
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Where to windsurf in Europe in the month of August?

Post by KUS »

Striki wrote:I'm off to a wedding in Euopre in August and would like to spend some time windsurfing somewhere in Europe. Any suggestions for place to go
hmmm, too funny, u talk about Europe like it's the village of Duncan or something....there's a fair bit of real estate there and, guess what, Europeans windsurf in a big way. Accordingly there's hundreds of destinations and not knowing your type of sailing or skill level and where you plan to be this is really a pretty open field, dontcha think :roll:
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

KUS wrote:, u talk about Europe like it's the village of Duncan or something....there's a fair bit of real estate there
I dunno Kus, when my daughter was going to med school in Krakow, they'd hop on a plane and go to England or Holland or northern Germany or Croatia for the weekend for about $100 or $150 round trip. The bus would cost you that much just to go to Duncan here :lol:
Striki

Post by Striki »

Good point Kus :)

I'd like to learn to Kite Surf, and I feel pretty comfortable sailing at Nitinat and am starting to make most of my jibes and am starting to play around with some jumps.

I've heard some good things about Tarifa in Spain. Sylt sounds interesting as well. I wonder which place has the most consistent wind and how they compare in price.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

more force 4 wrote:I dunno Kus, when my daughter was going to med school in Krakow, they'd hop on a plane and go to England or Holland or northern Germany or Croatia for the weekend for about $100 or $150 round trip. The bus would cost you that much just to go to Duncan here :lol:
hmm, yeah, the airlines over there appear to have a few seat sales.... Aeroflot or bust...the polish govt musta signed up for that low-rate contract too :? nah, that had to do something with our mysterious friend Putin :shock: "the most surprising aspects of Russia's response was Prime Minister Vladimir Putin's decision to personally oversee the investigation of the crash which killed all 96 people on board" hmmm

yes, some serious deals to be had, $25 to Rome and stuff but the return trip is regular price usually
dunkinguy

Where to sail in Europe

Post by dunkinguy »

I've sailed in both Tarifa and Guincho, Portugal. Tarifa in the summer is a lot like the Gorge in terms of wind consistency and strength. It is a fun place. Lots of shops lots, of different locations. Mostly bump and jump in summer on Levante wind. Lots of kiting happening there now. Check out Los Dunas for kiting. Probably kite schools there I would think. Wicked place to windsurf too. Probably pricey to stay there as anywhere in Europe. You would need a rental car too. There is good camping in Tarifa but it is not cheap. However, you can sail right in front of camping and eat tapas and sap a drink at waterside bar apres sail which is cool. Good night life and restaurants too. Definitely a cool adventure. Hop skip and a jump to Morrocco too which would be an epic side trip for sailing/surfing or just adventuring. Guincho is an advanced wave spot so wouldn't recommend going there unless you are in search of some hate. Good luck!
Love The Hate!
marakame

Post by marakame »

Hi Striki,

I thought to go to Europe for Windsurfing and I personally thought about Tarifa, but apartments cost lots of money out there.

After scratching my head I booked my trip to Morocco, for 2 month. I want to practice jumps, wave riding + some loops. Also pricing for apartments seems pretty reasonable.

" The wind blows sideshore from the right. Some days it is a bit gusty and turns slightly offshore at wind speeds of more than 7 Beaufort. Between June and August the thermal enforces the trade wind, creating more challenging conditions for kitesurfers. Downwind of the centre, the wave conditions are particularly great in spring and autumn (1-2 metres). Due to the strong wind, the waves are slightly smaller from mid June to August (0.5-1 metres). Beginners and speed surfers are in good hands further upwind of the bay. "

You also can check out Dahab, Egypt.

Good luck.

Regads,
Marakame
riverripper

Post by riverripper »

Hi !
Definitely Fuerteventura , Sotavento Beach.
Check http://www.rene-egli.com/en/
If you are looking for nuclear winds like in the Gorge, that's the place to be !

Cheers,
Frank from Germany
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
frank bingel

river-rippers.net :: rivers are our playgrounds ::