Port Alberni Launch area

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
warmwindynights

Port Alberni Launch area

Post by warmwindynights »

Is the new Port Alberni launch area down plywood road, beginner friendly?
I can water start no problem just wondering how it is for current and boat traffic? Is a farmer john wetsuit ok or is it freezin out there? Decent parking and rigging areas?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Rob's installed a floating boom on both sides across the inlet to delineate the sailing area which is off limits to boats.

Some Yoga shorts like Udder has should do it, PA inlet is not even really connected to the ocean except for the inlet part
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Bobson was out at Nitinat all day Saturday in board shorts and a rashy (or maybe it was a muscle shirt :wink: ) so I guess the water is starting to warm. Seemed pretty chilly to me when I forgot to do up the flush-guard on my suit. Nitinat is probably similar in PA right now, but I'd think a spell of hot weather would be needed to go bare-topped for us mere mortals!
eastside

Post by eastside »

4/3. That's what I usually wear. Could get away with a shorty in July August. Water is way warmer than Nitinat. Almost fresh in the river mouth. Nice thing about Port is that it is hot in the summer. Breeze just cools things down a bit.
windsurf247

wetsuit

Post by windsurf247 »

I've been wearing a 3/2 but it's a bit chilly if you're in the water much....say like bodydragging across the inlet :roll:

Feel free to come down and check out the launch at Wild West. We've still got a ways to go before it's running at full steam but we do have a temporary windsurfing launch in place. LOts of room to park and rig and we have a porta potti now too :lol:

If you're a beginner, I'd recommend coming earlier in the day before the wind gets too crazy.The boat traffic has actually been very light so not really an issue at all.
jim mckenzie

port

Post by jim mckenzie »

Maybe there are some photos of this venue or perhaps someone could post some. Oh, and is there somewhere "nice" for a non-sailor to sit (preferably out of the wind) and maybe read a book or something? Or maybe go shopping?
Sandy Beach

Port Alberni, Wild West Watersports day use park

Post by Sandy Beach »

Thanks for your inquiries. Yes, the PA inlet is a beautiful, scenic spot, which will likely attract high caliber photographers to catch the action of the hot shot sailors this summer.
Since Port Alberni is an urban centre with a variety of amenities and spots to watch the water action, it is great for the non-sailor too. Lots to do, or just hang out and watch too.
It's too early for a shorty wetsuit, but the water isn't icy either. 4/3 (as Eastside said) would be adequate.
At Wild West Watersports, there's loads of room for parking and rigging. There hasn't been any problems with current and boat traffic, other than piqued interest in fishermen and freighter captains that tend to slow down, circle and start shooting with their camera's. Be sure to smile!
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

Could someone who knows edit & update as necessary the Wiki description for Harbor Quay (eg. the driving directions, and should the site be renamed Port Alberni?). Thanks to all involved for the hard work.
otisdadog

Post by otisdadog »

I got a question about the sailing in PA, how long a run can you go for compared to Nitnat?
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Port A vs Nitinat

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

here is a quick graphic of the 2 sailing spots from Google Maps (both outdated since the log booms on the west side of Port Alberni Inlet are mostly not there). The scale is the same and they are roughly 900m each - the same distance really without splitting hairs, assuming the wind is filled in mostly on both sites, with a little less wind on the west shore of the Port Alberni sailing site.
Attachments
natvsport.JPG
natvsport.JPG (155.43 KiB) Viewed 3270 times
Last edited by thankgodiatepastafobreaky on Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
curses - foiled again!
Sandy Beach

Port Alberni wiki and run

Post by Sandy Beach »

Pasta, thanks for adding that visual. Wonderful!

FOLO: thanks for the wiki suggestion! After some more time on the water from the Wild West Watersports launch access, the handy dandy BWD sailing guide will be updated with more specific information to help navigate this Port Alberni spot. Excellent idea, much appreciated.

OTD: The windy tack is about the same run as Nitinat taking into consideration the far side that seems to be slightly windshadowed (from what we've experienced from the WWW launch at the old plywood mill site thus far).
There is so much potential with the wide open spaces for long downwinders on the expansive inlet.
Still trialling the conditions with varied windy days, since each session is slightly different and it's still early in the season.
I have to say that many people compare it to Nitinat, but it really is very different in so many ways. Water seems to be warmer. Wind, so far, is relatively stronger and later in the day. Hanging out on the shore/rigging/parking area gives you a sense that it's less windy than it really is in the inlet. So, the WWW site is much more sheltered, and thus warmer for spectators than the beach at Nitinat, or the exposed Harbour Quay downwind from the Wild West site in Port Alberni.
To get the adrenaline pumping, you actually have to stand out on the pier to feel the strength of the wind, rather than standing on shore. Great for non-sailors. There seems to be less panic to get rigged quickly because you don't have that sense of windy urgency, other than seeing the beautiful whitecaps.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

I think they are both getting compared all the time b/c they are both the only two south island destination summer thermal wind spots. [smilie=knockknock.gif] (brother hitting sister)
curses - foiled again!
GregK

Post by GregK »

I'd say Port A is more the mid-island thermal spot, and after a long afternoon/evening maxed out on a 5.5 and 100 liter freeride ( 75 kg rider ) last Saturday, I'm coming back soon for more ! Will vouch for all that's been said above.

Thanks to Rob, Sandra, & Matt for a great day and all your hard work making this awesome spot user-friendly !
Last edited by GregK on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy Beach

mid-island thermal spot

Post by Sandy Beach »

Hi GregK, Thanks for your stoke! It was amazing to me that we were the only two windsurfers ripping it up on that beautiful inlet on a hot, sunny Saturday afternoon. The wind was even stronger on Sunday and Monday. I was way OP most of the weekend. Maybe, next time we could have some speed trials if the conditions are similar :D
windsurf247

This is Skeltic writing

Post by windsurf247 »

Matt's wind report 11 am on Wed
Tuesday was 22 knots smooth most of the time with the odd hole
Waves mostly flat with sets of steeper ramps
Monday was 30 knots of the smoothest high wind I have ever seen
Waves smooth rollers with flat tops
Sunday was 25 knots and smooth
Waves smooth rollers with flat tops
Saturday was 25 knots and smooth