Trekking the River Loop

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Wavos Rancheros

Trekking the River Loop

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

Last year the river loop trail behind nitinaht campground was reopened with chain and bucksaw, so it's possible again to walk through that huge "blowdown" area that once before was a quiet trail through the forest.

If anyone is interested in bringing it back to more smooth walking or bike riding conditions, please bring a shovel, pick, pitchfork or hoe up this year, and help dig in for the next generation of walkers.

The loop trail as a whole still has several logs which must be climbed over, but that is a pretty big improvement on the number (probably 30) that blocked the way a couple of years back.

Hope everyone can take a few minutes this year to help bring it back to a comfortable grade!
joeltraas

Post by joeltraas »

tried walking that trail on may long weekend. It seems the blowdown area has been added too with more recent deadfall. It was my first time at nitnat, so its hard to tell what you might have already seen. Be prepared for more chainsaw work/ trail rerouting near the river, there is lots of blowdown and the bank has been washed away taking the trail with it. It a great idea to restore it. I'll be pitching in, not sure when my next visit to nitnat will be though.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Hey, just a word of caution here for those not familar with tree falling, beware of blowdowns! It's one thing to buck off a fallen limb or smaller tree but larger ones, those under tension or twisted, rootball attached, in a hollow, even tho they look like they are just neutrally laying there: u may get badly hurt or killed in a blink of an eye :!: or donate your saw to the tree :lol: Esp. don't take the kids along for this, they always wanna help and will be in the wrong spot when crap happens... guaranteed. Any rootballs may also relocate in almost any direction and crush any bystanders.....

so.....don't F*&K with these, seriously! Let a knowledgeable woodsman deal with the bigger fellas :idea:

Love that trail for biking and walking, looking forward to pitching in, hope to see the lake at least once this year 8)
GWIND

LISTEN UP

Post by GWIND »

KUS is 100% correct, cutting timber that is under pressure is highly DANGEROUS. Do not even think of going there. Pros get hurt all the time. Perhaps U could talk to Dale before doing anything.
Wavos Rancheros

99% of the loaded/stressed or unstressed logs are already cut, as of last fall, and the trail was open with just a few walkover logs. Most of the blowdown sat for years without anyone cutting in there, so not much danger of people rushing in with a chain saw to get themselves hurt now. If you have some hand tools, some energy, and you'd like a good walking or riding path, please give it your best! :P
GWIND

DANGER

Post by GWIND »

Wavos, unless U have operated a chainsaw for a living, trust me, you could not have any idea of the stress on fallen timber. Just be careful out there, don"t want any one getting hurt. Really, talk to Dale, kitesurferdale.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

joeltraas wrote:....seems the blowdown area has been added too with more recent deadfall. Be prepared for more chainsaw work/ trail rerouting near the river, there is lots of blowdown .....
is what I was basing my caution on
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Hello all,

Haven't walked the trail this year so can't comment on trees, however I will say that even trees laying flat on the ground can have unseen tension the "average" person (untrained and inexperienced) would miss which could cause problems if not injury so wouldn't recommend cutting trees blown down. The other thing people have to remember here is that this is not their property....cutting things etc etc can land you in some poo poo so just keep that in mind.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
saulman

Post by saulman »

Ummm- to bring it back, I think he said "please bring a shovel, pick, pitchfork or hoe". So unless someone is keen to cut a tree down with a pitchfork (which I'd love to see), I'm thinkin there isn't a whole lot of danger here. Chainsaw comments duly noted. Sounds like a great idea Wavos.
AC

SOunds Great .

Post by AC »

But there really is a whole lot of Damage on the trail..
Wavos Rancheros

The trail is open again after an afternoon of work. Yes, there's new erosion on the river bank, but a new trail piece has been treaded down and now cleared to make it nice and easy. Through the big blowdown area there were a few new falls, but nothing serious. It's clear all the way through, and just needs lots of walkers to keep it from growing over! Oh, and if you want to bring it up to snuff for mountain bikes to ride through, bring your hoes and picks :)