Kiting The Gorge: Advice?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Ryball

Kiting The Gorge: Advice?

Post by Ryball »

I haven't been able to find much info online or on this forum so I thought I'd ask here...

I have a week off in a couple of weeks. Am thinking about heading down to The Gorge to do some kiting. I have never been, but have heard a lot of good things.

A couple of questions:

1) The person coming with me can ride safely, has excellent control of the kite, however cannot yet stay upwind. How is the Hood River Sandbar for beginners. Are there areas to come in downwind of the sandbar? If this is not the best area for beginners, perhaps someone else can recommend a different spot in the gorge?

2) Can anyone recommend any good camping spots close by?
pow+pow

Post by pow+pow »

go to roosevelt, have friend clip sandals, gorge is gnarly for beginners...but free showers and camping at the site...sandbar way to crazy for beginners in my opinion...but the launch is tricky too...gorge is gnarly...bring a crappy board for him..the river eats boards-fast..the coast is almost easier...manzanita? yo good luck ry
GregK

Post by GregK »

IMO the sandbar in HR is crazy-busy on weekends and most afternoons. If the wind's up early you may luck out and have some space before the hordes arrive.

I've windsurfed and kited some at the Klickitat River just west of Lyle, WA, probably not crowded, wind can be gusty, barge lane is close to the tip of the Klickitat sandbar, and there are usually submerged logs and other snags in the shallow water west of the Klick. So not ideal, but a maybe.

Roosevelt, while an awesome spot, would be a challenge for a non-upwinding beginner, as there a few places downwind that would be easy to get out with a kite. I'd say a maybe if your friend is already proficient at body-dragging upwind with board.

Big attraction aside from the potential for nukin' wind is warm air and water. Lots of spots around to camp, Tucker State park south of HR is always popular with wind junkies.
CTK

Post by CTK »

Heading down to Portland next weekend for a wedding. Was thinking of fitting in a little kiting. Heard talk about the Gorge but have no info on it.
Was thinking Hood river was a little far and crowded.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

For beginner kiters and flat-water trickery, Floras Lake Or is fantastic. A few hours more driving than the Gorge though. About half as wide as Nitinat, and shallow enough to walk to the shore and upwind if you can't be sure of getting back to your start or badly tangle your lines. All sand bottom, no snags or pilings. Slightly gusty, but usually about 15-20 knots. Loads of room for launching; nice, safe, open, shallow water backed by dunes, no trees at the head and down one side of the lake. And the ocean waves are just a short walk over the dunes if the experts get bored, though I hear the shorebreak can be gnarly.

Very warm water, camp was pretty nice, not a big party place though I suspect. Lots of families and older couples windsurfing/kiting.