How to predict Nimpkish Lake for wind

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

kitesurferdale

How to predict Nimpkish Lake for wind

Post by kitesurferdale »

I would like to head up Nimpkish way this weekend and would love some assistance as to what to look for weather wise to predict (as best as possible) wind. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

d
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
windsurf247

nimpkish

Post by windsurf247 »

I was talking to Randy KAshino tonight and asked him the same question. He said it's best with a fogbank on the north coast. It's a thermal as well so I would assume hot temps inland are also necessary. He'll usually mention it in his forecast if it looks good up there.
Let me know how it is up there. We're thinking of going up in a few weeks.
Rob
adam

Post by adam »

what i've heard from nimkish junkies from courtenay is whenever theres a northwest flow, its happening up there. good luck!

adam

Post by Guest »

Thanks guys!!! appreciate the info!
Martin

Nimpkish

Post by Martin »

Returned a week ago from 16 days at Nimpkish.
Sailed/kited 14 of 16 which was great!

It is a bit like Nitinat in weather set up.
If there is lots of fog at Port McNeil and clear to the south then it was always a windy day.
You can see the fog sitting at the end of the lake much like Nitinat.
We always looked for Northwest winds in Queen Charlotte strait and Johnstone strait.
If the winds there were predicted to be southeast then it would kill any chance of wind.
Basically, look for a good high pressure system. It was best when the south island was in a mini heat wave...34 in Port Albernie etc. which meant light winds down south but great winds at Nimpkish.

The wind line seemed to develop more slowly than at Nitinat which gives time to go out on larger kites/sails early and then smaller later.
We enjoyed some of the best wind conditions for kiting yet and enjoyed some 4.0 windsurfing.
I would start wiht a 12m kite then switch to my 9.0 and later wish for a 6.0?

Our first time to Nimpkish but not the last.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

N

Post by KUS »

Hey Dale- apart from the thermals it gets the same wind as Johnstone ST, Yes, obviously NW preferred. :D The Pt Hardy coast guard guys are really helpful and can fill you in, they know exactly what you are looking for, sorry you'll have to dig up the #, in my truck somewhere... :?
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

Hey martin, i was just there for 5 days, too bad i didnt meet you. or maybe you did see me and kept your distance!
Dale if you havent been there before you should know the main sailing beach sucks for kites due to the wind shadow and most kites are up by the kinman creek area or the little beach upwind of the main camp (easy hike).
finally im surprised nobody has mentioned the nimpkish age limit, im pretty sure you need to over 40 to sail at nimpkish, midweek anyway. i just squeeked in there with my grey hairs i think.
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

nimp rulz :P tastey fresh water waves mmmm ... if it wasn't for those effn' no_see_ems! ... my bug screen wasn't up to par last time i was there :( ... if you can't handle em', go to mcneill for relief

hey kitesurferdale dood? have you checked your pm's ever?
ldzielak

Post by ldzielak »

Dale,

I'll be heading up on Sunday, Saturday doesn't look too good. Nimpkish is thermal when cold in Port McNeill and hot in Woss. Problem this weekend is the low up north, if it touches too far down on the island. It may not get hot enough in Woss. Bring your small kites, when it goes, it's strong.

Lee
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Thanks for all the tips,

really, the coast guard wouldn't mind a call? too cool

umm pms???

I am bailing as I have to be in Bamfield for monday and nimpkish to far for one day, will head to nitinaht sunday instead I think, but once again thanks for all the tips, definately want to head there to sail, I hear the waves are alot bigger than nitinaht, and furthermore, less people and no politics!!
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

kitesurferdale wrote: umm pms???
sorry ... pm's = private messages ... i sent you one eons ago :? ... look at the top of any page in the forums, should say if you have any 'pm's' waiting for you
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

well looky there, a message, heh, more fun to have with this awsome sight BWD!!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

yeah but how did your trip go?!
im up there aug 23-27 so say hi to the kooky guy with the trunks over his holey wetsuit if you dare.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Ahhhh sadly I bailed. I was to head up to campbell on saturday to watch 4X4 races then head up for sunday, but I cancelled the trip to Campbell and felt the the nimpkish trip was to far for just one day (Sunday). Cool for Late August as I am also thinking of heading up for the last weekend in August weather permitting. Talking with all sorts of people I am totally stoked to head up there for some of the heavy wind!!!