Winter gloves

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

Winter gloves

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

Hope it hasn't been done before, but can anyone recommend some good gloves for the winter? THanks.
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
morewind

Post by morewind »

After many winter seasons I've settled on open palm mitts in the LARGEST size you can find. I just bought Mystic brand open palm mitts, available from Windance in the Gorge. Pre-curved mitt which appears to be decent quality. about $35. I bought the XL size. Less forearm fatigue with the bigger sizes and open palm, although no gloves is by far the best.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

morewind wrote:Mystic brand open palm mitts, available from Windance in the Gorge. Pre-curved mitt which appears to be decent quality. about $35.
yes, carried those last year, not many takers which was strange. I really like mine, XL yep, usually don't even put the fingers in, thumb and back of hand is sufficiently warm except in mid Jan........and $35 not including shipping, tax, duty, exchange...or u got one wicked 10% below wholesale deal. 8)
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

I just returned from a session with the Mystic open-palmed gloves. Compared to the DaKine cold water mitts (closed palm), the Mystics look better reinforced and are comfy. They felt too thick with the tips on while gripping the boom though, and I would have cramped quickly had I left them on. I ended up sailing with my fingers out and stayed relatively warm. For kiting they'd be just fine since you don't grip such a large diameter.

The DaKine mitts are thinner but are warmer due to the closed palm. They don't seem to give me the sensation of cramping like the Mystics though. Unfortunately I tend to blow through them very quickly (the seams are done cheaply and tear open). Even with the largest size, my hands feel too big in them, so my fingertips eventually poke through the seam. This may not be an issue for other sailors with smaller hands. They'd also work well for kiting, unless you needed the finger dexterity to adjust something quickly. If you can make them stay in one piece, they are excellent for keeping you warm and cramp free.

O'neill makes a 1.5mm glove that could be ok for kiting as your hands stay warmer and don't need as thick a glove except for very cold days.
Poultry in motion
Johnnyman

Post by Johnnyman »

Kev
Are you recommending these gloves or looking for a recommendation?
Mr. Mystic rep for VI
Mike D

Dakine

Post by Mike D »

I just bought some Dakine pre-curved mits. I kited in them for 2.5 hrs straight at Columbia on the weekend...they were warm and worked perfect. No forearm issues and I had enough dexterity to adjust the power line on the fly. I got them in Vancouver from http://airtimeboardsports.com/ZenCart/ I think they were $45 if i remember correctly.
saulman

Post by saulman »

Dakine cold weather mitts.

They won't last as long as your other neoprene gear but they do the trick. No cramping etc and toasty warm.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Dish Gloves. Hands down the best solution. They don't give you any thermal insulation but that isn't whats needed, it's the wind on the wet hands that kills you, this fixes both of those problems. They ain't stylish, but it works SOOOO well (also useful for wearage when hand has 10 stitches and shouldn't be exposed to bacteria laden waters).
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

all of these cause some form of issue for someone, as per a very indepth thread or two on this ....every year probably :roll: .....and yes, my forearms cramp like mad using dish gloves and they fill with water and preserve no warmth, even on top of the hands.....same with dakines if i go out for extended periods of time, palm or not.
Strangely everyone seems a bit different but the thicker or more slippery the glove and the more grip strength is required, the more cramping of course.....that's why the kiters are less affected, as has been pointed out
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Best option is to grow hairy palms and hands - how you do that? Not sure. :D :shock: :lol:
Don't forget to bring a towel!
CTK

Post by CTK »

Dakine Cold Water Neo Mitt. Good bar grip, kept the hands warm. Can get them in town at Bosun's.
KJ

Post by KJ »

And for those on a budget Bushline Outdoor gloves - neoprene with rubber palms for grip. Usually last a season of WW kayaking in the icy cold Puntledge. I find them comfy and warm.

I think about $12 at Walmart last year.
xmyxlife

Post by xmyxlife »

CTK wrote:Dakine Cold Water Neo Mitt. Good bar grip, kept the hands warm. Can get them in town at Bosun's.
Not any more! Bosun's is gonzo. Unless they just moved locations?
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

I suppose I should just get a pair of mystic gloves, as I am the mystic rep for the island....still, it's nice to know what works for people....I think I'll go with the open palm. I've tried closed gloves before and they haven't worked spectacuarly well. Thanks all for the input.
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
SMACK

Post by SMACK »

A big ass camping cooler has two.........yes two functions. It keeps your beer cold in the warm months and you can fill it full of hot water in the winter to thaw out da didgits. Thanx Lee from Campbell River. :idea:
Chase the day, not the dollar.