Ideal surf vehicle???

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.

Post by 240 »

Dodge RAM 4X4 Diesel. Wide tires for the sand. Front end will sink if not. You can throw anything on it or in it, drive over most of the vehicals others have discussed. I have driven to Mexico 4 times in one. One of my bro's down there has driven his back and forth at leaste 10 times. $1500 to the bottom of the Baja and back with ferry cost included. You should have the Scull and cross bones on the back to scare the cops away too!! Does not work all of the time though
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

It is not yet available, but it promises to help alleviate the guilt some of us feel when driving vehicles that are big enough to haul our large amounts of gear.
http://www.brightautomotive.com/vehicles

Plus it looks cool, for a van...
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Know some of those guys, ex-RMI folks - think all they needed to do was/is raise $250 million or so to go from the idea to production (it's probably actually closer to a billion as the vehicle is aluminum and the paint shop alone accounts for about the first figure!!!) :o Not holding my breath.

Really smart (expensive too) team on the Bright, but realistically (based on the long-distance driving performance where you're on gas anyway) likely all you need to do to alleviate the guilt is to ride your bike to work every other day.

Still cannot for the life of me understand why we don't just open US/Canada to the European diesels and 5-speed manuals??? A no-brainer, almost automatic 50% increase in efficiency!
We windsurf - life must be good!
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Exactly! Diesels are great! And better for long distance fuel economy. A plug-in hybrid van would have the most advantage for driving to the local sailing spots.

Speaking of diesels and surf vehicles, Ozy's veggie-oil van is a great surf vehicle set-up. Joostio's Delica is/was pretty slick too...
JL

Post by JL »

Last edited by JL on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thermals are good.
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

JL - checking out the specs that VW is sweet! Would be lovely to package that drivetrain into a carbon fiber minivan at half the weight; forget the full hybrid - add a couple electric rear wheel motors for city-only dedicated driving - there's my ultimate windsurf vehicle!!

Noted that it's speed is electronically limited to 206 kph in Canada. Awwww!

Retirement project!
Geoff
We windsurf - life must be good!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

JL wrote:You are so right Geoffy !!! 8) http://www.vw.ca/ca/en_ca/models/TDI/golf_wagon.html
I can attest that this vehicle not only gets amazing fuel economy, handles like it is on rails, holds all my gear and sleeps two plus two dogs - but you look good while doing it.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Now there's two of us that have a woodie!!!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
MikeH

Best of the best

Post by MikeH »

blackdogvan

Post by blackdogvan »

I think a 1991 2wd lifted vanagon with a tdi would be perfect. 7l/100km, a queen bed & tons of room.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

blackdogvan wrote:I think a 1991 2wd lifted vanagon with a tdi would be perfect. 7l/100km, a queen bed & tons of room.
Where the heck would you find such a rare, dream-like vehicle? Sounds AMAZING.
Poultry in motion
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Yes, and at 6.5 mpg, 37 litres/100 km, it really is SO environmentally friendly! Just because its bio diesel doesn't make it good. Their little 'good for the planet' trip will probably consume enough what-could-have-been-food to feed a many villages for many years.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

more force 4 wrote:Yes, and at 6.5 mpg, 37 litres/100 km, it really is SO environmentally friendly! Just because its bio diesel doesn't make it good. Their little 'good for the planet' trip will probably consume enough what-could-have-been-food to feed a many villages for many years.
interesting vehicle but my thoughts exactly....seems everyone needs to tag on some positive human or environmental spin on their very self centered pursuits to make them palatable to others or themselves....me, I love windsurfing and wanna be warm and comfortable at times so I burn a ridiculous amount of fuel sometimes :roll: I do try to pool and make it a multiday trip but at least I'm not singing the "gee, I spent all this money to make my hog more efficient, I'm an exemplary custodian of mother earth" song :oops: Oh if Fiat was only in the country
Attachments
Ducato.jpg
Ducato.jpg (42.5 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....