Oregon Wavesailing Trips 2011

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Waddell Creek is where the contest is at! Santa Cruz (at the point) is beautiful, wickedly local scene, and amazing wave - but not often for windsurfers, and certainly once you see one person flushed into the cave :shock: ... !! There may be sailing off the beach just north of the real point break. Waddell (sailed it back in 1986-1987) is fantastic, but it's a long, long drive, great jumping and riding. Kite crowded last time I was there (2008).

KC7777s - 4/3 wetsuit in answer to your question, booties not needed, you're fine for sailing there - GO FOR IT! Have your 3.5 thru 5.8 and 70L and 95L available. Unless you're Shaggy and then a 78/5.0 is all you need! How does he do that?

I'm also planning for Wave Bash and afterwards and then cycling to/around Crater Lake if anyone's interested.
We windsurf - life must be good!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I made due with my 91L and only used 4.7 and 5.3 last summer. The gorge was a different story. Booties aren't needed in the same way they aren't needed at cook street in July. Cold as hell but at least there are no barnacles!

Glad to see so many people are already stoked for summer!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Namoo got lighter winds than I did! I was blown off the water once on 4.0 and had to borrow Jelly's 3.7. and sailed OP much of the rest of the time. But I highly recommend the experience, KC777777777; I didn't think I could do it (I felt very out of shape and no wave experience) and was convinced by Kus and Jellyfish. Even the tiny amount of ToW I actually sailed seems to have helped me break through to a higher level of sailing elsewhere.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Yeah I think we had really ideal conditions, head to mast high on the biggest days, and not too windy so things were not so messy.
morewind

Post by morewind »

It looks like you should be pretty competent in the outside jibe dept for sailing Davenport, Waddell, Santa Cruz, etc -- apparently "stumpy" calls this area home.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18539
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

oh oh, mikey, that's the wrong post for Nanmoo :shock: :lol: :lol: hey, I get nervous to say the least every time I fall in the water at Flo or the Cape, never mind the Rock, I practically see the soles of my feet kicking. U get really good at saving gybes with a little pressure :idea: :lol: all that kicking and splashing, not a good plan :lol: 8) and loudly swearing, well I'm off that since the sea lion pursuit at CB :oops: now I'm "just a log, floating by, just a log.." :!:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Sharks don't attack logs. Good plan.

If anyone is interested in further freaking themselves out, tonight at 8pm and 9pm there are shark documentaries on National Geographic channel dealing with the area in question.
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Sharks make for good gopro video

I'll try to make it down sometime this year...is that specific enough? I love the OR coast, and the great company. Just picture yourself here...

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

gee thanks 4J, so no rooster sign above water whatsoever in any of these shots.....I dunno what I expected, maybe a fin or some view of it coming up or SOME sorta warning.....great....I don't EVER wanna look underwater in Oregon now :roll: DAMN, I think I'd die of an anxiety attack if I ever had a mechanical way out or lost my rig before I even had the chance to swim into shore :oops: :shock: I recall swimming for 10 minutes once after my gear and all I could think of was "logs don't splash around" :!:
Wish less, sail more!!

xmyxlife

Post by xmyxlife »

Just moments later...
Attachments
next run.jpg
next run.jpg (80.19 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
Turn Down The Suck!
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

That's likely the least funny photo I've seen on the web. Do you know how terrified of sharks I am? I think I peed a little...
Poultry in motion
xmyxlife

Post by xmyxlife »

My bad Doc...
Attachments
edit.jpg
edit.jpg (80.71 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
Turn Down The Suck!
Windsurfish

Pee

Post by Windsurfish »

I hear that sharks are actually more attracted to pee than blood, for what that'd be worth. Maybe a drysuit IS a good idea after all? :roll:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I cannot think of a good reason for doing either while wave sailing and I dislike cats but am not scared of them....soooo, good, I guess I will be okay :roll:

How'd we get on this?? Ah, it was Morewind's fault....Stumpy... :lol: Anyone else coming down to face their fears, whatever they might be, or enjoy waves, wind, bbq, beer, good company etc. :?: :twisted:
Last edited by KUS on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!

Windsurfish

OR Coast

Post by Windsurfish »

And there is no place like the OR coast when it is on. 10+ Sailing with waves. Period. We'll be there a few times this summer.... :D :D :D