Island View CRD

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
JL

Island View CRD

Post by JL »

http://www.crd.bc.ca/parks/islandview/d ... eb2011.pdf March 16 the CRD is having a meeting @ the Saanich Historical Artifacts Society
7321 Lochside Drive . Please read the pdf file & consider attending
Thermals are good.
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Checked out the CRD annouoncement. Glad to see kiteboarding and windsurfing recognized as valid recreational uses. Although a little concerned about one purpose of the planned review: "Identify the types of outdoor recreation activities, and where in the park, they will be allowed." The wind community should be properly represented in this planning process to avoid being marginilized by dog walking and birdwatching groups which are much bigger and organized to represent their interests.
jellyfish
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by jellyfish »

I agree.... Let's get organized and represent/advocate our interests!
Why not gather/meet and eat at the Praire Inn pre-meeting. Anyone interested?
Thanks for bringing this to our attention JL
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

perfect timing, smack in the middle of spring break....."lessee, we need to be seen as being consultative....even tho we'd rather not as this might conflict with our agenda.....pick a date when most people are away or would rather spend time with their families....then we get even less representation of active young people and potential opposition to our already mostly finalized plan of maintaining a mountain-biker-banished dog shit path network and wacko birdwatcher heaven..."

I hope others can manage to attend and be vocal!!, thanks from me in advance :twisted: thx JL
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

A strategy session @ the P.I. sounds good 8)
Thermals are good.

Post by 240 »

Hey Jim, Good idea. I do have to say that most of the bird watchers on the north end where I am, have guns. Do you know what they are attempting to create south of the camp ground. Are they trying to stop activities or dogs?
JL

Post by JL »

I don't even know who 'they' are ... That's why I will attend the meeting Jordan :shock:
Thermals are good.
blackdogvan

Post by blackdogvan »

I'd recommend deciding one a single representitive (not Kus :wink:) to intelligently and eloquently speak for the community & then have many in quiet supportive attendance but pointed out by the wind community representitve. It will give the impression of a organised and mature user community. Good opportunity to get a clear path from the launch to the beach opened up.

Post by 240 »

I nominate Jim. Well mannered, educated, aged, spoken dude. You have my blessing to maintain our ground. I just hope that it is not fueled from the people on the hill, there are some players that have heavy handed that area in the past, like the camp ground.
Sandy Beach

IV beach future plans: public input

Post by Sandy Beach »

I support Jordan's (240) idea that JL would be an excellent, eloquent wind community representative.

Good suggestions so far, and if there's any other input, please post here so that the wind community does appear to be unified and have a collective voice. Power in numbers.

I agree with Reuben (blackdogvan) that a clear path for kiteboarders from the grassy area to the beach would be very important if that's at all possible in the plan for the future.

Thanks again, JL for sharing this information.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
jellyfish
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by jellyfish »

So far, not an enthusiastic response to having a 'possible' input in this upcoming meeting. Perhaps the windsport community is resigned to whatever outcome others decide.
For those of you who would like to offer input but will be unable to attend the meeting and our dinner/discussion planned before, please post your thoughts and ideas here and hopefully we will be able to represent all of our interests.
If you are planning to head to the Prairie Inn before, let me know and I will save a seat for you.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

I'd like to go and I can nod enthusiastically when JL and Jelly are speaking :lol: I can meet at the Prairie Inn before the meeting on Wednesday the 16th.

Hopefully there will be more people interested in attending. I think the more people that show up the better.
Dave
Last edited by bwd on Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
Sandy Beach

Post by Sandy Beach »

I would also like to offer my enthusiastic nodding support at the IV meeting along with Dave, but am not available on Wednesday to be there in person. Thank-you to JL, Jelly and BWD for stepping up to go.
Last edited by Sandy Beach on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
monkeymanmike

For those unable to attend (like myself)

Post by monkeymanmike »

http://www.crd.bc.ca/_contact/?l=islandview_response

This is a brief questionnaire found in the CRD newsletter. It could really add some strength in numbers from the wind community.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Even though IV and I have a hate/hate/love/hate relationship, I could make it before as well and have some experience dealing with community planning.

Let us know time and place for sure whenever it is decided.
Don't forget to bring a towel!