Nitinat cougars?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
clownboy

Nitinat cougars?

Post by clownboy »

I'm planning on camping up above the Caycuse River on my next trip (see kiters vs. windsurfers discussion). Last trip my buddy and I explored the site and it's pretty sweet. It's kinda lonely though and I couldn't help but wonder about the possibility of cougars. Not so worried about bears as proper handling of garbage will cover that, but cougars want to eat you. My question is, Are there cougars in the area or is it very unlikely? Maybe one of you Nitty locals would know. I wonder what the Dhitndhats have to say on the subject?
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

there are cougars everywhere, but you just don't see em ... it's very rare for a cougar to attack an adult, but if you're really worried bring a dog with you ... here's a couple links for ya

http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/wld/pub/cougsf.htm

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie=UT ... land&meta=

good luck!
clownboy

Post by clownboy »

Thanks pimpie; dosen't sound so bad. Just another hazard to know about.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

right...just what the two women on mountain bikes thought when they were pursued by two young cougars on the Caycuse road just up from there.....bring the dog 8) and no kids :shock: , it doesn't happen often but it does
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

In the five years that I lived at Nitinaht, there was only two cougars that were destroyed due to close encroachment near the village. Neither one of these had attacked anyone, but of course that was a chance no one wished to take. The chances of you getting into a fatal car accident is far greater that you being attacked by a cougar. However there is always that remote chance, as explained in the previous post. As with everything, the more you know about the animal the better. Here are a few hints should you encounter a cougar, first don't turn and run, make yourself as large as possible, make lots of noise, and should you be attacked FIGHT back as hard as possible. Children are far more at risk as they are more the size of a small deer which is the main prey for a vancouver island cougar. Anyhow, I personally think it is not something that should worry you as long as you take precautions with your food.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
Vic

Cougars

Post by Vic »

I certainly agree with Dale's response. HOWEVER, just a few years ago I did find an area of struggle, hair and blood-I think a deer, on the old bike trail, and trace of it dragged into the undergrowth. I didn't follow it ! Another incident several years ago on the trail just across the Cuycuse River bridge leading down to the river where we used to get our drinking water, were the fresh remains of a dog (wolf ?). This was assumed to have been a Cougar attack. I am sure there are Cougars around at times so be aware.
clownboy

Post by clownboy »

So there is some safety in numbers. Come to think of it, when the kids were little we used to watch out for bears and didin't let them wander off. Maybe bringing along some friends is a good plan. Right now, the weather is not looking so good for the rest of August and the crowds wil be gone so I'll probably leave it tll next year. Thanks for the input sailors.
3dkiter

Post by 3dkiter »

are there wolves in the area too?
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

I personally have not seen wolves in the area, however they have been steadly moving down the island and it wouldn't surprise me that they are in the area. Once again, this type of encouter is Highly unlikely as they shy away from human activity, just keep the food safely away from the camp as for bears. Safety in numbers is always good, and you have people to share your good times to boot!!
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!