Right of way rules

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
eric

Right of way rules

Post by eric »

Hey everyone,

I found this article and thought it was worth posting. It's got some good points on how to share waves and who has the right of way in almost any situation..... And how to avoid pissing off locals in Maui.

Enjoy!

http://www.mauikiteboardingassociation. ... rules.html
JL

Post by JL »

Thank you 8)
Thermals are good.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Most of that looks good but I really take issue with the "kites always give right-of-way to sailboards and sailboats" section. The port-starboard, windward-leeward and other established rules should apply no matter what the type of wind propulsion, they work as well between sailboard-kite as they do between kites. Its going to create real confusion if we start messing with this, especially in crowded spots (like Cook by the stairs on a low tide :!:)

I'm pretty sure if I was sailing a sailboard fast on port tack, and met a kite going fast on starboard, and we both tried to avoid each other, and crashed into each other with bad injuries, the kite would be mostly at fault for not having kept the right-of-way and maintaining a steady course.

That said, its always better for the kite to pass downwind, but if I'm on a port-tack sailboard and can only easily avoid the kite by ducking downwind, I'll do that, and really appreciate it if the kiter keeps his kite high for a moment. Of course, if the kite alters course to pass below me with lots of warning, thats also appreciated, and up to me to keep upwind.

We CAN all get along :lol: Here's a vid of kiter and windsurfing playing together - breaking most of the rules in the link, probably, but looks like huge fun.
http://youtu.be/fEOmny12apc