Where should my wife take lessons at the gorge?

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
BigD

Where should my wife take lessons at the gorge?

Post by BigD »

We are going to the Gorge Labour Day long weekend and she has never windsurfed before. Neither of us have ever been to the Gorge. Where is the best spot for learning? Who is the best instructor? Who rents the best gear for learning(Start board maybe?)? Where should we camp? Hook a brotha' up 8)
chewy

Post by chewy »

Big D
, I am no expert on the Gorge as I have only been there once this spring. However I talked to BigWinds and they hooked me up with lessons before anyone was even offering them yet, I went in late April. There is a really good place for learning/beginners called the Hook as it is shallow and an on shore wind. I learned to waterstart in 50mph winds, probably the only time I will use a 3.2 sail. There are two main campsites, one just West of town, I belive it was called Tucker. And one South of town by the Hood River, don't remember the name but it is where the wife and I stayed, I highly recommend it. Just ask any shop out there and they can tell you the name. We are tring to get down there soon as well and my wife wants lesson too.
I am sure most people on this website can help you out more but this was my experince there.
Make sure you go to the Mexican Restuarant on 12th st. Best Mexican food I had since I moved here from San Diego.
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

There are two windsurfing schools at the Marina; one is Brian's Windsurfing and another , I think, is a Big Winds outlet, I don't know about prices, but Marina is good for beginners, because it's shallow.

Also you can check Windance, they may have something, and, I think, I saw some trailers at Hook ( good for beginners as well, especially when it's really windy ) and Event site. All those places are right in town.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

if youve never been there before you might not know about the swap meet - sunday down by the expo centre. have a good trip!
Naomi

Post by Naomi »

I was just at the Gorge this weekend, and was hoping to take water start lessons. Unfortunately, not enough wind for this class, but I got some info that may help you. Brian's was recommended to me by several people before I left. They have a trailer at the Hook for beginner lessons, and at the Marina for waterstart lessons. The beginner class is 3 hours, includes dry land, and on the water, and costs $70 (incl rentals). You can call ahead to book a class at 541.386.1423. His website: http://www.brianswindsurfing.com/
BigD

Thanks!

Post by BigD »

Thanks everyone for the info! I hope the weather is good for the weekend! See you next week!