Shipping stuff from the Gorge

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
BFC

Shipping stuff from the Gorge

Post by BFC »

I recently bought a fin, harness and a few bits and pieces from Big Winds. A few people were curious about what shipping, duty etc. would cost (and I was curious myself until it arrived) so I thought I'd share my experience in case its of interest. Overall, I'm happy. The stuff wasn't in stock so I ended up waiting 3x the estimated 10 days, but that was the only problem. Shipping by USPS was 10% on a $300 order and there was a 12% uspecified charge that I assume was HST. No other costs.

I recently bought through mail order some chain rings for my bike that didn't fit (who knew Race Face used two 5 bolt patterns). Because of the error, I ended up paying more than if I'd bought them here. So be sure you avoid any similar errors. The article in this month's windsurfing mag about Windsurfing Direct is interesting and makes a good case for supporting local retailers. Bruce
Last edited by BFC on Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Good thing you had the stuff shipped via USPS. Their brokerage fees are relatively minor. I learned to avoid UPS because of their exorbitant brokerage fees (I was charged ~$40 brokerage on an item of $40 value if I recall correctly). UPS is presently subject to a class action lawsuit
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

This is familiar territory and I think you got very lucky with brokerage and taxes. It seems duty and ridiculous brokerage fees are applied on a whim, sometimes fully, sometimes not at all, I have not been able to figure it out. Shipping can also be reasonable or nuts :shock: I have found UPS to be the worst :x
It has been a frustrating time for me in my endeavor to offer windsurfing equipment locally and try to pass on deals. My idea of convenience of beach delivery and sharing wholesale pricing by being able to secure distribution pricing has failed. I have always offered wholesale pricing with minimal markup on all stuff and still people are willing to haggle or take up tons of my time (emails upon emails, phone call tag, no show appointments, requests to haul selections to the beach) only to order stuff online and then realize they will pay more. I especially loved it when people dropped by, had me unwrap every item in the garage, get their windsurfing 101 lesson cuz they don't know the first thing about the sport.....then leave to order thousands of $$ gear online, usually 2 year old stock of the wrong stuff for them and their ability or sailing type.

The price listings on the net are of course without HST, brokerage, duty and were in US dollars for the most part in the past (when the US dollar was high) so those people compared apples to oranges when they turned to ordering online instead. Also the low priced blowout items online were goods from 2-5 years ago (windsurfing direct always does this), which of course didn't play into the equation when they asked me for this year's pricing of the newest gear :roll: And they didn't include free delivery to the beach 8)

What I found curious tho was that it wasn't so much the brand of goods or customer service but pricing that seemed the determining factor. No wonder China, Walmart etc. is where it is at today and we bitch about low quality or no availability at all after all the local suppliers have been put out of business.

Like me....

Thanks to those non-penny pinching customers who have had some faith in my pricing, advice and products, I can still special order you items as needed but I won't have much in stock any longer and have lost most of my distributor pricing.

BTW- BFC I sell "fins, harnesses and bits and pieces" :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
gorge_r_and_d

Post by gorge_r_and_d »

KUS wrote: It has been a frustrating time for me in my endeavor to offer windsurfing equipment locally and try to pass on deals. My idea of convenience of beach delivery and sharing wholesale pricing by being able to secure distribution pricing has failed.

What I found curious tho was that it wasn't so much the brand of goods or customer service but pricing that seemed the determining factor. No wonder China, Walmart etc. is where it is at today and we bitch about low quality or no availability at all after all the local suppliers have been put out of business.

Like me....

Thanks to those non-penny pinching customers who have had some faith in my pricing, advice and products, I can still special order you items as needed but I won't have much in stock any longer and have lost most of my distributor pricing.

BTW- BFC I sell "fins, harnesses and bits and pieces" :idea:
....uh "distributor" pricing is for distributors. Wholesale pricing is for shops. Not quite sure where you fall but it seems you have things a bit turned around! :twisted:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

....uh "distributor" pricing is for distributors. Wholesale pricing is for shops. Not quite sure where you fall but it seems you have things a bit turned around! :twisted:
well, if you don't know I would suggest don't assume 8)
I am (or was) a distributor for some brands, a retailer for others. Because there are really very few shops in Canada, esp out west, I have not been able to move sufficient volume to maintain distributorship....and because Canadians always figure it must be better and cheaper down in the Gorge or via mailorder,...well, that's how outlets die off and a distributor really has a hard time getting things off the ground, doesn't he? And online outlets or stores that actually get distributor pricing charge full retail most times regardless unless they have one of their "blow out sales events" where they concede they bought too much stock and agree to "only" make the distributor margin. Again, by buying from them u kill the local guy and then you have no local supplier and you get to whine about it....when u need that little something NOW.
Anyway, this is the Walmart syndrome, nothing new. There are very few new windsurfers so this is I suppose not much to worry about in another 10-15 years...[/quote]
Wish less, sail more!!

kookkiller

Post by kookkiller »

Looks like not everyone gets to have there opinion on this site!!!!! Keep up the good work
morewind

Post by morewind »

Hey guys ...

I'm pretty sure this is not the Karma we're looking for on BWD :? So, I did a little pruning on the topic.

note: let's not start debating the censorship thing ... we know where that all leads... nowhere

Morewind
kookkiller

Post by kookkiller »

Nothing was wrong with my initial comment. Guys selling stuff out of vans and garages drove out the shops. No overhead flooded the local market. This is why mail order and buying from the gorge increased in volume.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Thx Morewind, totally agree with you, sorry, I'm an emotional person and it got the better of me....again.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion but the baiting using personal info and mounting a personal attack wasn't warranted.

I started my stuff because there was no local supplier actively pursuing any sales and what bit there was I tried to support. I think now even with minimal overhead and lots of personal service on my part (which I thought was a huge plus in my favor), given the mailorder and the proximity to the Gorge, such a venture here is to bound to fail. It is unfortunate.

Happy Easter, tho, there is something very positive :D
Wish less, sail more!!

kookkiller

Post by kookkiller »

I don't even know you so how could it get personal. People want gear and they want it cheap, that's the bottom line. There will always be someone selling stuff cheap, online, out of a van, or garage. It all depends who is the cheapest at the time you need something. No one considers warranty replacement at the time of purchase and then when something goes wrong wonder why there is no shop to help them. Now we are only left with internet sales and garage operations. Duty charges and shipping will always be inconsistant. The cheapest way to ship for me has always been DHL and it is very quick over ground in Canada and the USA.

ps Was involved in the windsurfing business for 15 years locally and in the UK. Never had a trust fund, married with kids, would write more but have to go to work. wink wink
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Thanks for the pruning, Morewind. I saw the exchange developing and thought 'time for a moderator to step in'!