Fines for SUPing with no life jacket?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

There's some good info here, thanks everyone. I should have realized that the "PFD or leash" idea made too much sense to be true. I don't get angry much, but this sort of over regulated crap really sets me off.

So if I'm doing a downwinder on a SUP with no leash and have a PFD strapped to the board then this is considered safe? If I fall off, all my flotation is gone and I have to swim for shore. But if I have a leash and fall off then I'd be fine but I'd also get a ticket. F'n stupid :twisted:

Anyway, like thelaw I don't paddle in the big city. I like the simplicity of SUP over kayaking and the lack of gear required. I'm not planning on carrying a pfd or throw line but I use a leash now since it doesn't get in the way and it makes more sense to me.
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

I paddled one in 2009 in the Gorge and was duly informed by an enforcement officer (tootling around on his Jetski behind Wells Island) that it was required but I would not get a ticket that time as they were just starting to spread the word. He also said enforcement would get tougher once season started and people were more informed of the law.

Might be worth a call to Big Winds to find out US policy, they stay on top of those rules for their rental fleet out of the event site and because they have organized events weekly with 30+ SUPs on water.

As that was my only SUP time, I haven't followed it since.
We windsurf - life must be good!
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Anyone know if SUPs under 10' are exempt from these stupid rules? I thought I remember that being the case at least in Oregon. I might sand the the gel coat off of my 10' in that case.
Poultry in motion
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

Hey Doc I think it is OK as long as you care an anchor. :D
Cancer must die!
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

And under Oregon Stupid Rules, more for you SUP'ers:

"Oregon Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Permit" :roll:

Required if your SUP is 10-feet or longer according to Big Winds Website because we just know that these marine species measure your board to see which ones to hitchhike on!

One of you guys should probably call Daryl down there to find out the scoop for Coast Trip paddling or it could become a major WTF - $ fine!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

well, in their defense....there have been a number of fatalities involving SUP's....a matter of getting a bit too far or too careless way offshore...too close to flipper or a wave, heart attack, who knows....no leash :roll: and bang, you r swimming ....for a while maybe only....wit da fishies. I think I recall reading they had a guy in Maui with a leash, but maybe knocked out on the rail, floating around still attached to his board :?
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
morewind

Post by morewind »

I googled this OR alien invader thing ...

http://www.oregon.gov/OSMB/programs/09LawsFAQs.shtml

What about Stand-Up Paddle Boards (SUP's). Do they need a permit?

YES. The USCG determined that stand-up paddle boards are considered boats for the purpose of life jacket requirements. Based on this determination, and if the stand-up paddle board is 10 feet or longer, the operator would need to have a permit.

maybe we can score a double-whammy -- life jacket and no permit fine in one go :roll:
Vik

Post by Vik »

KUS wrote: I think I recall reading they had a guy in Maui with a leash, but maybe knocked out on the rail, floating around still attached to his board :?
Having a PDF strapped to your leashless SUP would meet the regs and not be of use to you if you whack your head. Even if you did have a PDF on none of the ones a SUPer or sea kayaker would ever carry/wear have any provision to keep your face out of the water if you are not conscious....

Like the mandatory bicycle helmet law this is just safety theatre designed to make it look like the gov't is taking care of business when in fact they are just adding an additional hurdle to getting people outdoors and doing some exercise...

People die eating donuts, but so far there is no madatory safety gear req'd for a visit to Timmy's.... :roll: :evil: :cry:
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Like the mandatory bicycle helmet law this is just safety theatre designed to make it look like the gov't is taking care of business when in fact they are just adding an additional hurdle to getting people outdoors and doing some exercise...
Having a bit more (very direct and unfortunate) experiences than most on the bike side, these are different topics entirely. Bikes are around cars - pavement - pedestrians - dogs - etc. plus millions of kilometers ridden versus some SUP miniscule potential danger. Totally in support of a strictly enforced bike helmet law, totally against this SUP/watercraft crap.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Vik wrote:
KUS wrote: I think I recall reading they had a guy in Maui with a leash, but maybe knocked out on the rail, floating around still attached to his board :?
Having a PDF strapped to your leashless SUP would meet the regs and not be of use to you if you whack your head.
well, it was the life jacket requirement that would do it...mind u, your legs might be gone after a while of bobbing around GB or Maui :?
and yes, totally support the helmet rules, esp for mtn biking or in downtown traffic....kissing those opening doors on parked cars hurts :x
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Vik

Post by Vik »

Geoffy wrote:
Having a bit more (very direct and unfortunate) experiences than most on the bike side, these are different topics entirely. Bikes are around cars - pavement - pedestrians - dogs - etc. plus millions of kilometers ridden versus some SUP miniscule potential danger. Totally in support of a strictly enforced bike helmet law, totally against this SUP/watercraft crap.
SUPing is more dangerous than biking. Biking is one of the safest things you can do. It's safer than driving a car.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Geoffy wrote:Totally in support of a strictly enforced bike helmet law, totally against this SUP/watercraft crap.
I still disagree with this ridiculous law. Let a person decide when they feel the personal safety equipment is neccesary. When I go out to hit some jumps or trails I gauge the level of risk I am about to partake and gear up accoridngly, if I am hitting the skate park I rarely wear a helmet, but if I am doing big dirt jumps I'll usually throw on shin, ankle and knee protection, and often my full face helmet. In any of these sports, plus the conventional team sports, you are rolling the dice, and it's a calculated risk of injury vs. excitement. I've gotten multiple concussions playing soccer, yet not one on a bike - In one the law says I have to wear a helmet, the other I am free not to; seems odd. Plus, what about rollerbladers, skateboarders, razor scooters, those shoes kids wear with the wheels in them, high heels etc...

Of course then there is the leisure aspect, what if I am just going out for a casual peddle around the block, ultra low speed, zero risk of injury - still the law says I have to wear a helmet. Perhaps for someone with less experience this could be a dangerous situation, but at my skill level I am more likely to fall and hit my head during a night of drinking, yet another perfectly legal activity.

If we are forcing people to wear helmets, why stop there? Why not just make everyone wear a full padded suit in any activity that might result in injury? and while we are at it, let's ban booze, smoking, all legal drugs and fatty foods, exponentionally more people die each year from just one of those activites compared head injuries on a bike with or without a helmet.

It's all about personal responsbility for your own safety and health. We need encourage accountability not play babysitter.

That is all.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Cindy

SUP safety gear

Post by Cindy »

Being around canoes a lot, I can appreciate how the PFD can actually be a hinderance at times, especially in SUP where you might be required to dive down to get away from the board, the wave,, etc. However, if you want to work within the legal framework but don't want the cumbersome nature of a full vest PFD, there are alternatives...a bit pricey, but Mustang (and others) do have certified PFDs that are CO2 activated that will fit around your waist like a thin fannypack (they are even CCG approved). I know a few competitive paddlers that choose these because they find they don't interfer. Like most PFDs, they won't save your life or keep your head/face out of the water...they will just keep your body afloat.

What confounds the issue is that you will bring a PFD that is CCG approved, and not necessarily USCG approved. If they wanted to be real arse-holes, then they could nail you on that...but generally, my experience with marine regulators is they are often just happy that you have a PFD with some kind of government approval.

I also know that in Canada, an enforcement person can actually confiscate your boat, board, etc, if the mood strikes them.

BUT....if you are going more than a few feet from shore...always alway always, wear your leash. Your board is your biggest PFD. A few years ago, there was a surfski death in Washington and the bottom line is if he had worn his boat leash...he might not have died.

Have fun and stay safe

Cindy
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

heres an interesting thought, do the guys dirt jumping on the barge need PFD's?
Vik

Post by Vik »

nanmoo wrote:
Geoffy wrote:Totally in support of a strictly enforced bike helmet law, totally against this SUP/watercraft crap.
I still disagree with this ridiculous law. Let a person decide when they feel the personal safety equipment is neccesary. When I go out to hit some jumps or trails I gauge the level of risk I am about to partake and gear up accoridngly, if I am hitting the skate park I rarely wear a helmet, but if I am doing big dirt jumps I'll usually throw on shin, ankle and knee protection, and often my full face helmet. In any of these sports, plus the conventional team sports, you are rolling the dice, and it's a calculated risk of injury vs. excitement. I've gotten multiple concussions playing soccer, yet not one on a bike - In one the law says I have to wear a helmet, the other I am free not to; seems odd. Plus, what about rollerbladers, skateboarders, razor scooters, those shoes kids wear with the wheels in them, high heels etc...

Of course then there is the leisure aspect, what if I am just going out for a casual peddle around the block, ultra low speed, zero risk of injury - still the law says I have to wear a helmet. Perhaps for someone with less experience this could be a dangerous situation, but at my skill level I am more likely to fall and hit my head during a night of drinking, yet another perfectly legal activity.

If we are forcing people to wear helmets, why stop there? Why not just make everyone wear a full padded suit in any activity that might result in injury? and while we are at it, let's ban booze, smoking, all legal drugs and fatty foods, exponentionally more people die each year from just one of those activites compared head injuries on a bike with or without a helmet.

It's all about personal responsbility for your own safety and health. We need encourage accountability not play babysitter.

That is all.
+1000 - well said. If you look at risk stats and what injuries are clogging up emergency rooms and ICU beds...the bathroom is far more dangerous for head injuries than biking. Driving is far more dangerous from a brain injury standpoint than biking even with seatbelts and air bags due to the amazingly high amount of potential energy in a car accident. Yet we don't wear helmets in the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07o-TASvIxY

I do wear a bike helmet when I go to Hartland to DH MTB. I don't wear one when I toodle to get a coffee downtown.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com