Windsurfing Conditions & Spots

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Manuel

Windsurfing Conditions & Spots

Post by Manuel »

Hi Everyone,

Nice forum with lots of good info, I currently live in Denver and sail two main spots (Boulder Reservoir for west winds & Aurora Reservoir for everything else).
Both these sites are about 30 miles from where I live/work. I also sail Lake McConaughy which is a huge reservoir in Nebraska about 3.5hrs from my house.

However, I am looking to move somewhere to find more reliable winds closer to where I work.
My wife is Canadian and she has family near Vancouver.

Are there spots in Vancouver that are easily / quickly accessible in the evenings after work, does it usually blow then?
The water is pretty cold over here; we start the season with water temps in the 30's then in the summer for a couple of weeks we can sail with no wetsuit at all. Is it pretty similar in the Vancouver area?

Generally our spring is pretty good, where I can sail down to 77L and 4.2 sometimes (I weigh 160lbs).
Our summer is pretty bad and fall not so great. The combo I use the most is 105 / 5.3, then it's probably my Formula with 9.2.
Lake McConaughy can blow year round which is amazing. The wind is very good there, however in Colorado it's not as clean and often gusty.

The only wave conditions I get are at McConaughy when the wind blows 30mph+. Otherwise it’s 3’-4’ max chop.

Ideally I'd like to live close to where I work so I can ride my bicycle.
My wife and I want kids so it’d be nice to be pretty close to good schools .
We like old Victorian homes and “European-style” neighborhoods with restaurants and cafés.
I am a Web Developer.

Is there an area any of you would recommend we look into? Would it be easy to park a windsurfing mobile?

Thanks a lot!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Most of us live in Victoria (Tip of the south island: 500,000 in the capital region) or the Nanaimo area (Central Island: 200,000 in the Nanaimo Regional District or so). If you want to sail after work then your best bet is Port Alberni, but it is a much smaller city. Central Island is better for winter storm sailing, is a lot closer to the west coast for real waves, closer to Whistler and Vancouver, and about 45 minutes to Port Alberni, as little as ~20-25 if you live in Qualicum Beach. I sailed in board shorts in PA last summer, its almost like a Mini-gorge come late summer. Victoria on the other hand has more amenities, and is the better summer sailing spot with semi-predictable thermals in the afternoon from may-ish to september-ish within a relatively short or ultra-short drive. The water is cold as F down here though.

I'm sure others will chime in with more.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
MartyD

Post by MartyD »

You want Victoria!
A few sailing spots about 30 mins or less from town, many within 2-3 hours.
Spring through fall the evening thermal westerlies come in, usually at least 15-20+kn with some big gale force marine pushes. 4/5mm in the ocean and sometimes board shorts midsummer in the lakes.
Fall though spring we get the SE storms followed by clearing westerlies. These storms often top 40-50 kn, but are very gusty and unpredictable.
These storms will produce massive waves if you are brave enough to venture out to the west coast. Lots of surfing and possible wave sailing.
Victoria is an amazing city too! Big enough to have what you need, but not huge and big city like vancouver.

Check out our stats
http://bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/sailinglog_stats.php
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Since you are asking about Vancouver, you'll be frustrated with the lack of consistent wind. It's a great city, but not great for windsurfing. The Island offers many more opportunities to sail high wind gear. Squamish, about an hour from Vancouver does off consistent high wind thermals in the summer, but the water is glacially cold. I spent year chasing wind arund the Vancouver area. Loved the city, disliked the rare opportunites to sail and brutal traffic to fight to get to the beaches.

Victoria's a better bet IMHO. Nanaimo could work too if you don't mind a smaller town.
Poultry in motion
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

winddoctor wrote:Since you are asking about Vancouver, you'll be frustrated with the lack of consistent wind. It's a great city, but not great for windsurfing.
2nd that, Harrison Lake and Nicola Lake for slalom are within 2.5 hrs, you could try past Pemberton too. Jericho has some race sail type of wind in spring. Winter wave sailing at Centennial (weeds), Point Roberts (scary, mega current) and Jericho (Spanish Banks) is good but rare. Sailing in the Fraser at Mission is great til your pointer nails a net or driftwood :shock: The rest of the lake sailing available is not worth talking about.... :roll: I miss the mountains tho, one thing Vancouver and the Fraser Valley is awesome for.
Not sure there is tons of work for web designers in either city, I think the Gulf Islands has more than enough for Western Canada :? They hug trees and fish in their spare time :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Manuel

Post by Manuel »

Thank you for the great info. Victoria does look fabulous.
I looked briefly at jobs in Victoria and found a few which is always good :) !

Any neighborhood you would suggest I look into that's fairly close to work and spots?

To clarify "after-work" sessions, I'm talking about leaving at 3pm if it's really good out and to beat rush hour traffic, or later to sail an hour or two till about 8pm. It takes me about 1hr to be on the water from the moment I leave my desk today and that's fine although not as "green" as I'd like!

The water is about 50F right now over here and we are still wearing our warm 4/3's, when do you get to wear a shortie? Say a warm 3/2?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Manuel wrote:Any neighborhood you would suggest I look into that's fairly close to work and spots?
when do you get to wear a shortie? Say a warm 3/2?
Real Estate pricing will dictate this for you I bet unless u r a dotcom guy :roll: anyplace in Vic and area will be within 20 minutes of most spots, south west coast spots about 1hr max., 245-3pm is cut-off for beetling out of town to the west coast, otherwise for local spots it does not seem to matter much.
Except one person who shall remain nameless and whose sanity has been questioned, nobody wears shorties, a 3/2 rarely, most wear 4 and 4/5's year round as the ocean temp doesn't vary much, 9-14 deg., board shorts in mid summer up island tho :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!

Manuel

Post by Manuel »

Is Up island the north part of Vancouver Island?
I take it it gets warmer / drier there? I wouldn't mind a spot where we can ride with a smaller suit once in a while for sure!
But I'll take quality wind over warmer temps any day 8)
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Up Island usually refers to the Nanaimo, Parksville, Port Alberni and I suppose the Comox area would be included also. I live in Parksville and can usually count on wearing a shortie for July and August anyway. Port Alberni seems to have the warmest temps (water and air) in the summer months not to mention the most reliable thermals at the same time.
Why aren't YOU out there?
Cj

Post by Cj »

If you end up living on Vancouver island, Nitinaht lake is a short 2-3 hour drive form Victoria. Great camping, great wind, hot weather and lots of people in shorties through out the summer. I'm a weekend warrior, it's very fun there. There are lots of after work sailing spots locally. We have great mnt biking areas on the island too. Our only ski hills are on the north end of the island. Mnt Washington is an okay hill but the drive is 3-4 hour drive from Vic so unless you plan to stay up there it's a very long day trip. It sounds like your the kind of person that would really enjoy island life. The big city is only a expensive ferry ride away when you need to make the trip. Do you like the canucks?
somebody said " go fly a kite".
Manuel

Post by Manuel »

Thanks again everyone, it really helps. I'm more of a soccer fan than hockey.

I checked out the forecast for Victoria and it says 60's for the next few days.
Now do you sail with mitts and booties in the winter? What months can you start not wearing any? I use Dakine mitts and Atan booties which are very nice (I like the split toe version) but I still prefer the feel of bare feet and mitts can make transitions and moves more difficult.

I ran into a post online that mentions Fairfield, Oak bay and Saanich East as their favorite neighborhoods, would you agree?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Manuel wrote:I'm more of a soccer fan than hockey.
oh, we're sorry, you cannot move here :roll: all full
Manuel wrote:forecast for Victoria and it says 60's for the next few days
Atans rock, wear mine year round, lotsa people barefoot after May-Oct depending on where. You want temp readings they're on the net, I quit wearing gloves above 5 degree. you can sail to minus five and the spray freezes on the sail :roll: and...you're in Canada here and it says 17-20 degrees, 60's a bit too warm for most, eh?

What's yer favorite color :?:
Wish less, sail more!!

Manuel

Post by Manuel »

KUS wrote:oh, we're sorry, you cannot move here :roll: all full
Ha! I knew I'd get some heat from that comment, but I was asked :) !
KUS wrote:You want temp readings they're on the net
I read earlier that it's between 9-14C. I think that's the temp at which I can ride without booties with an air temp above 15C. The sun being out can feel a lot warmer too. That's why I'm asking.
KUS wrote:I quit wearing gloves above 5 degree
That's really good, the relative warmer water probably helps. I find that I need mine until about 10C but if the water is cold (below 5C) then even if the high is 15C, I need them.
KUS wrote:you can sail to minus five and the spray freezes on the sail :roll:
I've sailed in 2-3C but never below freezing. Fun to run a hot shower at home with the suit still on!
KUS wrote: and...you're in Canada here and it says 17-20 degrees, 60's a bit too warm for most, eh?
I see 14-15C.
KUS wrote:What's yer favorite color :?:
Depends on what? Cars, windsurfing board, house :D ?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Manuel wrote:I ran into a post online that mentions Fairfield, Oak bay and Saanich East as their favorite neighborhoods, would you agree?
KUS wrote:What's yer favorite color?
Manuel wrote:Depends on what? Cars, windsurfing board, house ?
exactly :!: eh :?: I prefer Oprah's mansion on the Maui North Shore myself, but Oak Bay's nice too...and so's a ton of other places around these parts 8)
PS: BTW, to really fit in you gotta finish every post with an "eh?", eh :?:
Wish less, sail more!!

Manuel

Post by Manuel »

KUS wrote: [...]Oak Bay's nice too...and so's a ton of other places around these parts 8)
I street viewed the city, it gives me an idea on what to expect. However, I don't see many homes for sale in Victoria itself. I used this.

Using this site's wiki, I browsed through all of the eastern windsurfing sites of Vancouver Island (incl. PA and Nat).
Pretty awesome source of information! Love to have webcams setup on the spots, pretty nice!

The two main things I grasped from reading were: use at least a 4/3 with booties & mitts (if temp is lower than 8C) and watch out for logs!

I also spent some time comparing the weather to other cities I'm familiar with. It's interesting to note that
Victoria is warmer than Denver from mid-October to mid-April which should make the beginning of the season a lot easier, eh?