Oregon Wavesailing Trips 2011

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

morewind wrote:I'll be catching the evening Coho on Thurs June 16. Maybe start at Flo or the gorge? then, Gold Beach if the wind gods permit.
Better to finish at the Gorge don't you think? Don't want to waste all your energy and then go get beat up in the waves, but it could be fun to get beat up in the waves then go spend some relaxed days in the Gorge. Anyways, that is my plan (with a few days of work inbetween)!

Ewart - It definitely feels safer sleeping at one of those trucks stops when you know your screams will be heard by someone! There is a decent rest stop just north of Eugene that is slightly more off the highway than some others.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

nanmoo wrote:Also - What is the route everyone takes from I5 to the coast, I know last year the vets were telling me I had not chosen the quickest route.
If I'm driving straight to GB I take the Umpqua Hwy 99/Hwy38 to Reedsport then S101. It's the exit about 5 miles S of Cottage Grove on the I5.

Google maps suggests the more southern route to Bandon but that is a slow road to the coast, but you do stay on the I5 longer. Both are about 10hrs from PA but the Reedsport route is a bit shorter in distance and Hwy 38 to the coast is fast.
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
morewind

Post by morewind »

nanmoo wrote:Better to finish at the Gorge don't you think? .
Hoping to stay on the coast the entire trip. The gorge is planB in case the coast has no wind at the start of the trip.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Thanks Dave.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

bwd wrote:
nanmoo wrote:Also - What is the route everyone takes from I5 to the coast, I know last year the vets were telling me I had not chosen the quickest route.
If I'm driving straight to GB I take the Umpqua Hwy 99/Hwy38 to Reedsport then S101. It's the exit about 5 miles S of Cottage Grove on the I5.
Google maps suggests the more southern route to Bandon but that is a slow road to the coast, but you do stay on the I5 longer. Both are about 10hrs from PA but the Reedsport route is a bit shorter in distance and Hwy 38 to the coast is fast.
I took the 42 west from Roseburg last year, it was just fine and few hills....at the end tho you have to either backtrack a bit with 42 or use 42S to Bandon....the 42S was a single lane opposite banked racetrack littered with farm animals and grandmas, it was hell in the rig and I just about wiped a few things off the road :oops: to try to keep from flipping off the turns into the everpresent ditches. The 38 was a nice drive but the additional trek along the coast makes the 42 and 42S worth taking nonetheless, IMHO, just go slow at the end there.
This time I am going via Flo so it's coast highway at night all the way, nice and mellow behind all the other rigs with Marley on the box and a (single :!: ) cool IPA between my legs 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Is that legal in dem parts?
TrunkMonkey

Nanmoo

Post by TrunkMonkey »

Give me a shout before you head down 604-803-4860 that sounds like a plan. I'll be leaving early Tuesday but have suff to do in Seattle so could work nice. I camped on a pull out once and had some wild animal try to claw thru my windshield...So safety in numbers!

Ewart
PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Add one more to the list heading down from Vancouver. Looks a little light on the weekend so I was thinking HR to start and GB by the 14th. Hope to see people out there.

Peter and Rhonda (out of commission, though)
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

hate it when Rhonda is out of commission :?
Wish less, sail more!!

morewind

Post by morewind »

Pack yer small stuff for OR

COASTAL WATERS FROM CAPE BLANCO OR TO PT. ST. GEORGE CA OUT 10 NM- 852 PM PDT FRI JUN 10 2011

.WED...N WIND 25 KT...RISING TO 30 KT. OCCASIONAL GUSTS UP TO 45 KT. :shock:
WIND WAVES 8 FT...BUILDING TO 12 FT. SWELL W 4 TO 5 FT.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Damnit, I was hoping for light 4.7 and head high at best. Now I have more things to be worried about than the sharks.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Wish less, sail more!!

rkwave

Oregon Wavesailing Trips 2011

Post by rkwave »

I'm entered in the Pistol River Wave Bash and will taking the Tuesday morning ferry to Port Angeles and driving down to Gold Beach.
Latest Forecast looks pretty good for wind.
I'll be posting a blog on my website:
http://www.rkwave.ca Pistol River Wave Bash 2011

http://www.islandnet.com/~rkashino/Pistol2010.htm
RK
RKWAVE
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Those photos in the first link look frightening, if it's like that I am sticking to the cape!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Nanmooo, checkout windsurfing mag winter 2010 PG 31 for pic of 13 year-old Fiona at last years pistol shootout. Wuss :wink: