ideal surf vehicle

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Vik

Post by Vik »

KUS wrote:Sportsmobile's claims for mileage: Ford: V8 - 15 mpg • V10 - 12 mpg

Pure dreamland :roll: A fully decked out 4x4 loaded MAY get this only with a diesel, on a highway, a lot of their conversions are still regular gas. The Chev Vans have always had better mileage, both have questionable at best trannys.

I think you can do a lot of cool things to a new $30k van for $70+k, a 4x4 conversion runs usually around 12-15k but who actually uses the 4x function? Ever? I had one, I know I was always aching to use the thing and hardly EVER did. It just looks cool is all :roll: ....Just go posi rear end, wide tires and carry chains, a winch at most if u must, voila!

My Ford was great for camping and windsurfing but it had horrendous fuel economy, almost as bad as my motorhome (combined 22 vs. 26L/100km) and that old 454 Turbo 400 tranny combo was the best there ever was in reliability.....still carry the RV BCAA tho....and now that I have jinxed myself 8)
The fuel economy is for sure an issue given that one of my regular destinations is Baja which is an 8,000km round trip and I don't have $100K+ laying around...! :) My camperized pick up will do for now and if I need more for a specific trip I may buy a used trailer of some sort.

I would like a van, but I don' have the $$ to invest at the moment so I can wait for electric vans to hit the market. Once we move to motors in the wheels 4x4 won't be such a huge deal.
Last edited by Vik on Fri May 27, 2011 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Vik

Post by Vik »

KUS wrote:
I think you can do a lot of cool things to a new $30k van for $70+k, a 4x4 conversion runs usually around 12-15k but who actually uses the 4x function? Ever? I had one, I know I was always aching to use the thing and hardly EVER did. It just looks cool is all :roll: ....Just go posi rear end, wide tires and carry chains, a winch at most if u must, voila!
I think the thing is if you are going to buy a $100K 4x4 high clearance travel van are you going to worry about the mileage a lot? Assuming of course you didn't struggle to buy the van!

I think the 4x4 and high clearance aspects really depend on the user. Where I've camped in Baja I've used both regularly and with a very heavy van the 4x4 will come in handy more frequently than a lighter 4x4 pick up. Keep in mind the 4x4 systems offer you very low gearing which is critical if you want to go down steep terrain with a heavy van and still have some brakes left.

You are correct in pointing out that most people don't go anywhere you need 4x4 and if you give up some mobility you can get by with 2WD. It's an interesting question because for a trip to Baja I don't need 4x4 for 7900kms, but it makes that last 100K possible into campsites that I couldn't get to without a great deal of hassle.

If you just roll down to La Ventana and park in the campground for the winter there isn't much point to the 4x4. If you want to explore the coast in Baja and get away from folks I think the 4x4 option is totally useful.

Can you get everywhere with a 2WD and winch/chains/anchors? Probably, but it would be a hassle and I think most people would just give up and stick with easily accessed terrain.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Vik wrote:if you are going to buy a $100K 4x4 high clearance travel van are you going to worry about the mileage a lot?
I think the 4x4 and high clearance aspects really depend on the user.

You are correct in pointing out that most people don't go anywhere you need 4x4 and if you give up some mobility you can get by with 2WD. It's an interesting question because for a trip to Baja I don't need 4x4 for 7900kms, but it makes that last 100K possible into campsites that I couldn't get to without a great deal of hassle.

If you just roll down to La Ventana and park in the campground for the winter there isn't much point to the 4x4. If you want to explore the coast in Baja and get away from folks I think the 4x4 option is totally useful.

Can you get everywhere with a 2WD and winch/chains/anchors? Probably, but it would be a hassle and I think most people would just give up and stick with easily accessed terrain.
yes, exploring is cool and not having to worry about getting stuck...thinking about ski touring around here and seems you really need a 4x4 to do it right. But for that one to three day deal I'll get those chains and winch or rent/borrow a vehicle

Will I worry about fuel costs even if I had the money for a $100k rig? Yeah, it slaps me in the face every time I fuel up, not just money but knowing I am doing the earth harm, rather pay a larger lump sum and not get these mortgage payments all the time :x I make sure my rig travels are well planned out, gets the best mileage possible (even if its still poor), stays are longer and fewer in number.

Does transmission type depend on the user? Well, I see your point about Baja but that is probably one of very very few destinations where they will even LET you get into potential trouble by driving onto a beach. Also if you would just pay the campground fee instead of priding yourself on living on little money each day u could save yourself the 4x4 cost or just change your tires, much cheaper and non-permanent in terms of maintenance. I do like camping by myself too and exploring but I wouldn't in Mexico, even some areas in Oregon close to civilization I wonder if my rig and name could appear on the front page of the local rag "windsurfer axemurdered and robbed while sleeping at trail head". As far as access, I have learned not to even bother with Nitinat anymore for example, the abuse from the road is not even close to worth it, driver, gear, fuel and vehicle. :evil: Just cleaning the dust off and out takes me a couple of days afterward. So many great places with pavement almost all the way there, Renfrew or Nimpkish is a for instance. And no wear and tear on fragile ecosystems. Also, one broken axle/leafspring set repair and towing charge will get me to California and back in fuel.....how do I know this :?: :oops: Tons of places in Oregon where u can park on the beach and NOT need a 4x4.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Another maybe marginally cheaper alternative to 4x4 on a van, questionable carbon footprint I suspect, is to just trailer a used UTV. Use it to get over places a 4x4 won't go and still carry boards/sails/camping gear/any amount of kiting stuff. My Ranger has a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton rating, I can't remember which (its never close unless you fill the dump box with rocks). Only major disadvantage is finding a secure place to park the van while you take off on the rough tracks. Where's the "Mad Max" photos of me with boards loaded? I looked on here, couldn't find them.

Edit, found them, there's a few here:
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/gallery/displ ... p?pid=8820
Vik

Post by Vik »

KUS wrote:
Vik wrote: Does transmission type depend on the user? Well, I see your point about Baja but that is probably one of very very few destinations where they will even LET you get into potential trouble by driving onto a beach. Also if you would just pay the campground fee instead of priding yourself on living on little money each day u could save yourself the 4x4 cost or just change your tires, much cheaper and non-permanent in terms of maintenance. I do like camping by myself too and exploring but I wouldn't in Mexico, even some areas in Oregon close to civilization I wonder if my rig and name could appear on the front page of the local rag "windsurfer axemurdered and robbed while sleeping at trail head". As far as access, I have learned not to even bother with Nitinat anymore for example, the abuse from the road is not even close to worth it, driver, gear, fuel and vehicle. :evil: Just cleaning the dust off and out takes me a couple of days afterward. So many great places with pavement almost all the way there, Renfrew or Nimpkish is a for instance. And no wear and tear on fragile ecosystems. Also, one broken axle/leafspring set repair and towing charge will get me to California and back in fuel.....how do I know this :?: :oops: Tons of places in Oregon where u can park on the beach and NOT need a 4x4.
I've spent most of my decade of Baja adventures traveling to remote beaches and camping either solo or with a buddy or GF. I've never had a lick of trouble and I've left my whole setup alone for days while off sea kayak touring. Same in the western US. I've been traveling and camping all over and only met nice people.

I'm not worried about paying the campground fee in La Ventana. First off the free arroyo is 2WD friendly and second it's a heck of a lot more fun and less like a suburb than the campground. The reason I like 4x4 in Baja is you can get to amazing beaches and camp there by yourself. I love that.

I keep an older 4x4 pick up around largely for the run to Nitnaht. With nice floaty tires it only needs an air filter change with each oil change and it's good to go. I don't clean it between uses due to dust as it ends up going up to NN once or twice each week. It's paid for so I'm just out the $400 insurance each summer.

I want to check out Nimpkish this year as I hear it's pretty great, but NN is a lot closer and I don't find that road an issue for me. I also think the wind and camping at NN is pretty amazing so I'm happy to deal with the road.

I'll make my way around the island to all the spots you can kite from and see what I think. I'm always open to other options.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Vik wrote:I've spent most of my decade of Baja adventures traveling to remote beaches and camping either solo or with a buddy or GF. I've never had a lick of trouble and I've left my whole setup alone for days while off sea kayak touring. Same in the western US. I've been traveling and camping all over and only met nice people...The reason I like 4x4 in Baja is you can get to amazing beaches and camp there by yourself. I love that.

I keep an older 4x4 pick up around largely for the run to Nitnaht.
many people have experienced this, good for you. Some, albeit only a few, have been not so lucky. When u travel by yourself or with kids this is not something I am willing to gamble on. Having my cousin be spared only through coincidence and in her absence her two friends butchered in their VW van by some crackheads who stole their cameras and clothes in Spain makes you consider smaller probabilities.
Having a Nat vehicle and kite gear that doesn't get damaged bouncing around is a serious plus...if you can afford to have one sitting around just for that, must be nice and I suppose that works and wouldn't be worth it for me.....there is more to it than insurance. Parking space alone would deter me :? The idea is one does it all....mostly. There will always be compromises that become unacceptable over time, like driving a 4x4 or expensive automatic transmissions :evil: god I hate automatic transmissions :!: Another industry accommodation to the ineptitude and/or laziness of your average American driver...I recall growing up and seeing American cars at the US bases....they had no gear shift stick and all you had was a gas and brake pedal....they had huge engines and 8 cylinders....2 more than our average semi truck, like the luxury Mercedes u rarely saw.....none were diesel..faster off the line than our BMW's....they were twice as long and wide as our VW's and Fiats, ..especially the station wagons...their gas tanks fit 5x the fuel.....it was soooo weird, like an invasion of the big people
Wish less, sail more!!

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Always liked this model, too bad lots of k but pretty decent shape by the looks of it, fiberglass unit w/ diesel and great layout, 23' perfect length 8)

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- ... e_14939839
Wish less, sail more!!

rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

I've always been partial to these types of units for the nitnat drive. Great for local sailing too.

http://www.usednanaimo.com/classified-a ... l_14937312
Why aren't YOU out there?
Manuel

Post by Manuel »

Ideally, something like this...
4x4 to go anywhere, room for two adults, kids and gear.
Room to sleep in it too.

j_dog
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by j_dog »

According to this vid all you need is a van,

How to live in a Van: Surf Sufficient:
"Rent goes away but so may the opposite sex"

http://vimeo.com/22674336
cguygo

Post by cguygo »

Ideal being relative...

2009 Kona, Jake the Snake

Cargo...

12m naish cult
9m naish cult
L/force proof
wetsuit/towel
hot coffee togo
6pack o' fine ale

runs on fat and saves you money :D
Attachments
280383_10150695647505227_524355226_19408354_5946631_o.jpg
280383_10150695647505227_524355226_19408354_5946631_o.jpg (119.31 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
JL

Post by JL »

Nice 'C' dude ... You should have green kites 8) I like http://www.suttonrv.com/2008-airstream- ... OR-i380939#
Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
Vik

Post by Vik »

cguygo wrote:Ideal being relative...

2009 Kona, Jake the Snake

Cargo...

12m naish cult
9m naish cult
L/force proof