Nitinaht update!

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
BA

Post by BA »

Hey Keith,

I'm hoping to head to the lake for Monday- Tuesday...I'm not a big fan of the rinse cycle either. :lol:
I'd love to try out a SUP before the wind comes up and I've got some shirts for you.
8)
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Oregon

Post by downwind dave »

KUS wrote:
KC7777 wrote:I need a tune up in my sailing skills before the Coast
I am not sure sailing a flat lake will get you tuned up for the coast, the gym or the Gorge maybe....nothing like coast TOW or in the washing machine to be better for coast TOW :!:
:lol: theres a lot of stuff you can do at Nitinat to tune you up for the coast.
- dial in your jibes. make em fast n snappy. make a turn mid-lake! :shock:
- figure out FAST waterstarts. clew first, board backwards whatever.
- sail a small board; learn how to pinch upwind without a 30" pointer
- jam turns, throw spray. even cutbacks on swellettes. baby steps.
- wear your surfer hoodie, talk surfer lingo. it will all add up.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Oregon

Post by KUS »

downwind dave wrote:....make a turn mid-lake! :shock:
well, that's just absurdly risky Dave :roll: the three kites and two windsurfers immediately behind you will mow you down :!: BE safe out there
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
KC7777

Nitinat OSR

Post by KC7777 »

Hi,

Just sitting at the store using the wifi and sipping my first cold beer!

As of 5:40 pm it is cloudy bright, with one or two blue spots in the sky and it is spitting very light rain off and on. There was very little rain today, a bit of wind (inflow).

The campsite is ready and waiting for all the long weekenders, still lots of good spots left.

Bobson and Rob I. - I am camped just near the beach access sign.

BA - I have the cash for the hoodie...or hoody?

KC
Vik

Post by Vik »

Nice weekend at Nitnaht - got two days of kiting in out of the 3 we were there and we made some new friends as well as the usual suspects so our 1 day with no kiting was spent hanging out with some drinks socializing.

Weather looks nice this week. I'm hoping to get back there for a 3-4 day stretch over the coming weekend!
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
blackdogvan

Post by blackdogvan »

BYOTP!!
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

We were out to the lake on Tuesday and took a thorough look around since we're preparing for a 12 day stay at the end of the month. Things aren't as bad as they initially seemed earlier in the season.

-there is water readily available at the band office, front lefthand corner, no tools are necessary. I assume it's potable (was told yes).

-the hotel has reopened under new management, will be operating year round, and also sells a few basic supplies, most important, ice!

Apparently the band members are quite frustrated about not having the store operating. It will reopen under new management, possibly as early as next week. Sounds like initially it will just be the restaurant, and a few basic supplies. They are planning to have it fully running by about December. No more focus on windsurf/kiting gear, just straight up groceries and other essentials.

The campground is in very good shape. Most areas very clean, although as usual a few folks have already left piles of trash behind, arrrgh! Some new tables have appeared. There seems to be some kind of official numbering scheme slowly evolving. Plenty of TP in the toilets, but of questionable quality, wipe carefully.

No swing yet for the kids near the day use area! Bring some spare rope to set one up, they love that thing.

Both the Cowichan/Youbou and PA routes are in excellent shape. Logging road past Youbou is currently active. It was being graded the morning we went out and was in the best shape I've seen it in the last few years. Seemed slightly faster then the PA route.

Make sure to pack out your garbage, and leave the camp just slightly better then you found it. Water is warm. Wind was good. Yeah....

8) 8) 8) 8)
Vik

Post by Vik »

Fri and Sat were great days at Nitnaht...had an epic long session Sat as the wind ramped up nicely in the late afternoon and got really lofty. Sunday the wind started up strong, but dropped a bit around 3pm. I was so tired from Fri & Sat I packed my 8m and didn't bother rigging up my 10m. Instead I made a run for the city

Very light traffic on the water and nice chill vibe in the campground - great weekend... :D
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

G-daddy sums it up nicely. Was just out there last weekend and store still wasn't open but should be soon (waiting for their interac machine :roll:).
Roads have deteriorated a bit with all the traffic and the rain too, but still ok.
TP quality wasn't bad BUT still wish they'd leave more rolls out on the weekends.
Why aren't YOU out there?
UnusuallyLargeRobin

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

Is the store open yet? thx
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
elevationkiteboarding

Post by elevationkiteboarding »

yup store is open,but no gas so fill your tank up before you hit the dirt,everything elese pretty much the same as last year
Vik

Post by Vik »

We were at Nitnaht on the weekend.

Sat - light 10m wind for my 175lbs [ideal for 12m, but GF had it!!]

Sun - perfect 10m winds for me and very lofty...super fun.

Nice and hot & sunny as well which made the time hanging on the beach and camping really nice.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
AC

Its WIndy

Post by AC »

Its Windy All the time now:)
Can't jibe

Bears loose in Nitinaht campground.

Post by Can't jibe »

We were camped Saturday and Sunday on the beach at the North end of the campground. On Saturday a bear walked off with the neighbours' cooler and returned on Sunday to the same camp. Good idea to secure food in your car.
skipro

Nitinat August Long

Post by skipro »

Just checking to see if there is a fire ban on currently for the Nat area?

Doesn't sound like it is as busy as it has been in previous years, (weather related) wondering if i need the two story tent to save on real estate.

See you all this weekend! pray for wind, sun, warm water, cold beer.

Thanks.
Craig