Nitinaht update!

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: the bear

Post by KUS »

emearg wrote:The fact that he smelt that steak and went and ate it is not the bears fault and yet he is the one that is going to get shot.

perhaps it is time for proper bear proof food containers at the campsite....not a cheap option.
old story :roll: u need to write a note to Min of Forests or nothing's gonna happen....at all....ever....at that place..... that you cannot even rely on for TP to be in the outhouse despite people paying and getting paid. It is a shame and yes, you guys with that unsecured cooler that "fed" him the steak are responsible, directly responsible :!: for the eventual bear's death, don't forget it! :!: U r probably mourning the loss of your crappy steak, I'm mourning the loss of a beautiful wild animal
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Vik

Post by Vik »

When we were there this weekend the bear was stuck up a tree and every time he tried to climb down and get out of the campsite he was chased up another tree nearby by one of 10 or so unleashed dogs.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
emearg

Re: the bear

Post by emearg »

KUS wrote: old story :roll: u need to write a note to Min of Forests or nothing's gonna happen....at all....ever....at that place..... that you cannot even rely on for TP to be in the outhouse despite people paying and getting paid.
true enough.

vehicles it has to be then; until they learn how to break into them.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Vik wrote:When we were there this weekend the bear was stuck up a tree and every time he tried to climb down and get out of the campsite he was chased up another tree nearby by one of 10 or so unleashed dogs.
I see that as mostly positive, hopefully it will discourage him from coming into or even near the campsite. -- Aversion therapy!
Randy

Post by Randy »

How is the campsite looking for room? ... and is there any campfire ban (yet)?
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

left today. There is room. No campfire ban yet. Wood shortage though.
I wish my TOW was longer!
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

the unleashed dogs are not all good, my pooch got attacked twice this weekend. one was a reserve dog and the other a campers. My pooch is a very well amnered boarder collie, not a trouble maker. other than that, good vibe at the lake this weekend. good to see some of the old faces. Zurn, Bernnie, Perti, Tom, Carol, Lyn, Randy and thanks for thge sauna Herman.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Not to mention the Shitfest. Lots of dog poo around especially near the BB entrance.
Randy

Post by Randy »

Thanks for info. I'm leaving today for 6-7 days.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Is it just me or does Nitinat wind seem wimpy this year? I was there for 8 days ending yesterday and mostly sailed a 6.0. One day on a 5.5. The sun and fog were there but the wind seemed anemic compared to other years. Also, the wind was really only strong for an hour in the mid-afternoon with a little golden hour puff.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I haven't been yet this season, but I think you may be right MTM. I only had the patience to go through last years sailing logs but over almost 10 days I didn't use my 6.0 once, 2/3 was on 5.3 and 1/3 was 4.7, and I'm 185-190 lbs and on a 91L board.

Bogus!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Maybe a lot of people are just gaining weight....hence the larger sail sizes. :lol:
Why aren't YOU out there?
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I'm pretty sure there just hasn't been the temp diff inland to coast to bring on the turbocharged thermal - and the fog bank has only been there a couple of days. I thought last Sunday was pretty much like the "old days" though even then it only blew strong for a half hour or so. Get rid of la Nina and the northern jet stream, bring back some big clearcuts on Cowichan and the upper Nitinat like were there in the late 80s/early 90s (greened up cutblocks don't generate nearly as much heat; I'm pretty sure this has had an effect) and we'd have strong wind most of the day again.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Well last year the cutblocks were likely just as green, and it blew stronger, so I am thinking it is more Jet Stream/La Nina/PDO or the like.
Don't forget to bring a towel!