kye bay

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
paulie_aus

kye bay

Post by paulie_aus »

hey all, was wondering if anyone has had a chance of ridding down at kye bay and what they thought? at low tide big sandy beach and at hight tide, nice shellow loogoon, wind wraps around pretty nicre there but was hoping for some input on the spot and anything that should be avoided, thanks
SMACK

Post by SMACK »

Of course :roll: When it's windy.
Chase the day, not the dollar.
paulie_aus

Post by paulie_aus »

so have you tried kiteboarding down at kye bay, comox? havnt seen anyone kiting it yet so wasnt sure as to y?
Nimpkish-Bill

Kye bay

Post by Nimpkish-Bill »

the bay works well in a strong NW, kited there once.
solasurf

Post by solasurf »

Are you a new kiter in the Comox valley? I saw you had another post a few days ago with questions about where to buy a wetsuit in the area.

What's your skill level?

Kye Bay only works on a N or NW and can be quite gusty if you're too far to the point (the winds are on-shore and there is a big cliff). I wouldn't suggest riding there by yourself unless the tide is low or you are quite skilled at self-launching and landing.
If you are quite an experienced rider and just new to the area, I would suggest you come down to the Goose spit on any given SEwindy day and get the scoop from some of our local kiters. We're a friendly bunch! :D
Looks like a decent NW wind tomorrow afternoon and the low tide will be 3.36m at 4:30 (not really that low). I would suggest to walk a little towards the middle of the bay to launch or just go to Airforce beach where the winds will be a little more side-onshore. Good days there are few (as we mostly get SE winds around here)... I hope you score. :)

Cheers,

Sandra
www.InflowenceKiteboarding.com
paulie_aus

Post by paulie_aus »

hey sandra, so went down today to check out kye bay and helped a guy launch his kite, looked like a nice spot, as for my experience i kited for bout 2 yrs back in aus but havnt done it for bout 5 yrs. just bought a new kite and gear but havent been out yet (havent had a chance to pick up a wetsuit yet), its a naish park, little different then the boxer i used to ride so wouldnt mind getten the run down on it, thanks and have fun kitting
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

I windsurfed there for years. I lived at the Kye Bay Resort - second from the end - and was basically going twice a week - but it has to be north and if you go past the point be prepared to swim back if it is a frontal system. So stay in the bay. It can be quite fun and the waves and rollers are great for experienced people. Bonus - search and rescue helicopters are right there - suggest you don't tempt the fates though.