Light wind launching at clover point?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
skywalker

Light wind launching at clover point?

Post by skywalker »

Folks,

When I first arrive at vic, I didn't know where to launch. My first session was in light air, 10-15. It seemed natural that the grass at clover point would be the launch spot.

A year later, and many sketchy launches at cook st. I don't understand why we launch there.

IT is directly in a wind shadow, and littered with debris, narrow launch, and sharp branches in the hills. Seems like the most dangerous, and expensive, place to launch, particularly when the wind shadow is working.

why aren't we launching at clover point?
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
dangerdane

Clover

Post by dangerdane »

Launching at Cook on a SE is not bad since you can walk down the pavement ramp. On a W I think Cook is the better option..much safer. Any problems ie: gusty contitions is sketchy for inexperienced kiters. Ensure you have selected the right kite size! Lots of traffic on Clover Point to watch out for too.
blackdogvan

Post by blackdogvan »

Cars, Dogs, people, light poles, sketchy walk to the water with kite in the air, cars, dogs and people are all I can think of for reasons that launching at clover by a beginner is about the worst idea they could possibly have. Leave Clover to the storm riders & go to IV.
cguygo

Post by cguygo »

can someone break the entrance to clover so the city can chain it up for the summer :?: :P
skywalker

Clover point...not convinced its all that bad

Post by skywalker »

blackdogvan

the light poles aren't connected by power lines. They must be better than a cliff covered in spiky plants no?

If its strong enough for us to kite it seems pretty clear of civilians.

Maybe lets keep our eyes open and keep an open mind during light W winds
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

I'm with Blackdogvan on this. Clover is an ultra sketchy launch. While Cook st. has its share of hazards, my opinion is that Clover is ripe for a serious accident during launching or landing. Wet grass, light poles, cars, pedestrians/gawkers, etc present potential dangers. I see tons of people gathering at Clover when it's windy as it's a spectacular place to watch the action. I'll take the spiky plants at Cook st over the dangers of Clover any day. Dane and Marty kite Clover relatively often, but it is definitely not a place for learning or even intermediates. One unlucky episode of someone launching at Clover, lofting into the air, kicking some kid's ice cream out of his hand during the flailing and finally smearing themselves across someone's windshield will likely get us banned from both spots. Even a light wind day there could turn potentially nasty if a cell moves through and overpowers a newby's kite. If you're learning, Island View is the place on a SE. Save Cook and Clover for the experienced kiters. These are "double black diamond" launches. When you've watched a kitemare unfold first hand due to inexperience, your perspective on what's safe radically shifts.
Poultry in motion
BK

Post by BK »

Well said..!
AC

Post by AC »

Launching at Clover Point and getting into the water from the point is dangerous and has many hazards and things that can go wrong.
cguygo

Post by cguygo »

In light W winds you get flushed into Dane's bay remember Skywalker!? Not only does the reef/barnacles suck to walk over (and drag your kite over) your walk of shame could potentially start at Trial Island :? I'm sure if Clover was ideal the old schoolers would have been launching there a long time ago.
JL

Post by JL »

We (windsurfers) used to launch @ the bottom of the spiral staircase 8)
Thermals are good.
blackdogvan

Post by blackdogvan »

I doubt you want to be the guy who gets all kiting activity nuked in Victoria. Don't think it can happen? Try to kite in Vancouver. Just not worth it for a marginal light wind session in my opinion. Good stoke tho!
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Just for information: Trial Island Does NOT connect to Victoria. (Someone thought that it was connected in the past, just want to make sure it doesnt happen again).

So if you are new to Victoria, dont think you can do the walk of shame from Trial Island.... Unless you are Jesus, obviously.
cguygo

Post by cguygo »

Isn't there a ferry Teabag? Same one that goes to Kelp reef island?
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

FFiiiiiinnnne. No clover point.

I agree cook street is a double black diamond launch. So sketchy. I guess we'll will just have to play it as safe as possible there.

Yes, kite mares suck. I can see how one could unfold at clover, or cook for that matter.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

there have been many at Cook.....almost regularly. People that don't listen or don't even ask :evil: .....The difference is at least in the cooler months it is only the user and other water users that get maimed/involved. Skidding into kiteflying granny at Clover Point and taking her for a ride off the 7' concrete outfall embankment while Japanese tourists take pictures with their massive cameras might not go over too well 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....