Oregon Wavesailing Trips 2012

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

Windsurfish

:)

Post by Windsurfish »

Hopefully good "Table Scraps" leftover then, Eh Moo. .... LOL.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

bring out the aloe, you got BURNED :twisted: :twisted:
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Sounds like we are all table scrapping now.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Nanmoo - 1st to the 5th, then on to Portland Blues Fest for an awesome lineup!! :D :D :D See you there.
We windsurf - life must be good!
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

more force 4 wrote:Kus, you mention a couple of times in logs that you or others played it safe and 'jibed on the outside'. Ummmm - what other realistic options are there? (I remember dunking in to do a controlled flip and waterstart on the other tack, but I doubt The Boss would do that under 65 knots or so.....). Or are you just talking about jibing without bothering to immediately catch a wave, or chicken jibing before the outer bar?
Just follow the old adage: "When in doubt, goiter out."
Poultry in motion
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Last Coho on Wednesday night until the 8th if I last.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Yeah I'm thinking the same if the long term forecast improves a bit.
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

more force 4 wrote:Kus, you mention a couple of times in logs that you or others played it safe and 'jibed on the outside'. Ummmm - what other realistic options are there? (I remember dunking in to do a controlled flip and waterstart on the other tack, but I doubt The Boss would do that under 65 knots or so.....). Or are you just talking about jibing without bothering to immediately catch a wave, or chicken jibing before the outer bar?
on the outside, as in ride the macker in, do the outer bar ride, check over shoulder and dare to cut back inside for a longer ride or abort half way and get TF out of the way of the freight trains arriving and the outer bar closing out in a 30' wide sea of hurling froth :shock: which you will NOT make it across despite full planing run :idea: Fun times, roll the dice, saw a couple of guys lose badly. :oops: :?
Yesterday was epic, huge but not suicidal. The day prior was probably a day better not sailed but we did anyway :lol:

Thx Mike Tsaw and morewind the forecaster, looking forward. :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

morewind wrote:...I'll try to describe a good forecast in words, then add a graphic when a decent forecast shows up. For the south OR coast you want N wind, so you need low pressure in N California, combined with high pressure to the north-west, out in the Pacific -- this creates the N->S pressure gradient, which makes the N wind on the S OR coast (sometimes way too much as in Kus's latest adventure :shock: ). Now to the map -- what you look for are the isobar lines. You want to see 2-3 isobar lines at roughly the Oregon-California border, and oriented parallel to this border. Parallel is key. Closer together = stronger wind. Tight lines can indicate a blowout ==> go north to Bandon or Florence where the wind may be sailable.

Right now the isobars run parallel to the coast, hence no wind on the coast, but possibly good for the gorge.

Hopefully that makes some sense. I've watched this pressure model for years, and it's a remarkably good predictor of OR wind a week out.

The following pressure model is guaranteed to deliver ZERO wind for the S Oregon coast :( Unfortunately, that lines up with Wed of next week.
Thanks for that! Very easy to understand! :D 8) :D
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Re: outside jibes, finally figured out you were talking about jibing early on the INBOUND run -- du- oh!
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

It is looking like I might have an opening in late July/early August. Anyone else going during this period?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Forecast has turned again, looks like some wind midweek, but then another low screws things up. What the heck! For the last three years this period (late June) has been perfect.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Interestingly the Waddell Creek forecast looks epic next week.. and only a 7 hour drive longer! But that much windier and sharkier!

I doubt anyone is interested in going that far... are they?
morewind

Post by morewind »

The planned OR trip is on-hold for me, waiting for the coast forecast to improve. Tentatively, I'm looking at heading out Friday evening. Days 8 and 9 of the pressure model are looking good for Pistol :D :D Some hope.
Keen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Keen »

I'd say my trip is toast this year... this was my week and it's clearly not happening. Will be hoping for some good local sessions to somehow ease the pain!