Fast vacation in January (9 days) - suggestions?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Another Kook

Fast vacation in January (9 days) - suggestions?

Post by Another Kook »

I have a 9-day reprieve from my children in January and would love to go somewhere warm to sail. Cheap is good, conditions suitable for novice/intermediate windsurfer (only this summer behind me - but have been in footstraps and harness - not able to waterstart), friendly because I plan on going alone (safe too - I'm female) . . . will need to fly because of limited time available so will need to rent gear (probably could bring tent) . . . Any suggestions?
Bryan

Margarita

Post by Bryan »

I was in Margarita last year at the end of January and it was great. I was there for a week and the distance was doable. I flew Vancouver Toronto and thenToronto Margarita Island and I stayed with Vela. I made the flight there in a day I think I landed on the island at 2am and I was sailing at 10:30. The area is great for begainers to experts with something for everyone. I will definately be going back Vela is fantastic with great gear and no hassel. You will have no problem with safety and you will meet a ton of new friends. :lol:
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Bonaire is an excellent choice although the return airfare from Vancouver probably isn't in the "cheap" category, at least according to my wallet.

Bonaire is a quiet safe place to visit and there is a very nice place to stay close to the windsurfing beach (Kon Tiki). There are two equipment rental places at Lac Bay. The water is warm and waist deep for a km or so from the launch site so it is a great place to work on waterstarts and jibes. The package deal we had included car rental (highly recommended as the main town is about 10 km or so from the sailing site), unlimited equipment rentals, and a one bedroom apartment for a week. It was very reasonable, about $630/person US. The scene at Jibe City was very laid back and friendly.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Maui. Spreckelsville.
morewind

Post by morewind »

Hey Bryan - what airline offers a direct flight from Toronto to Margarita?
bean

Post by bean »

BAJA! La Ventana is close(ish), safe (onshore wind into a sandy bay and not big ocean swell), cheap (mexico), and has reliable winter wind. There are several places to stay that include gear rental and you'll have people to sail with. I stayed at Captain Kirk's last year and it was great.

Post by Bryan »

To reply to morewind The airline charter from Toronto to Margarita is Air transat.
morewind

Post by morewind »

yeah - thanks Bryan!