The Nitinat rules

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

WS vs. Kiter numbers aren't really the issue. The historical 'no launching/landing zone' is downwind of the small point and the most sheltered section of beach in the entire campground. A lot of families with small children choose to camp in that area for that reason, or at least use it during the day.

Expert kiters do occasionally launch in that area and it's generally no big deal. The bigger problem is beginners trying to land there. Folks on the beach may be to busy trying to keep their three year old from running at your kite and getting smothered to help you land it. If you're having a kitemare or whatever, try to drag through that zone and land in the small bay right after it. It's a bit of a wind hole in there and probably the safest place to exit, and it tends to be empty. No tonka trucks on the beach to get tangled in your lines.

That's all it is these days. A zone for families with small children. And accommodating families has always been important at the lake right from the start, so hopefully most folks can understand and appreciate that.
GWIND

Ya

Post by GWIND »

You are correct Downwind D. There are 600 kiters And when the wind blows over 25 knots( and by the reports most people don't know what 25 is )594 are on the beach, and 6 are givin er. What's with that ?
I really enjoy sailing with the 6 cause they know what they are doing.
The rest of them, scary.
Perhaps if the 594 tried 30 knots and six or 8 foot swells they would be a little more humble and learn some manners. Nothing like a good beating in surf. Hence the term. Kite Surfer

So why do we pay the 12 dollas anyway ?

Rules is for fools. " Mr. T "
Manners are for people.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

smartang wrote: In most places windsurfers ride upwind of kiteboarders, but that would mean they'd have to lug their gear up the beach. So the conveniently park downwind, and complain when underpowered or struggling kiters get in their way. .
I used to camp along the river trail and lug my equipment up the beach but there is no room for a windsurfer anymore on that beach. Too many lines strung along the beach. And bongos!

Some of the "struggling kiters" are our windsurfing friends who are learning to kite. To support their kids. To learn a new way to enjoy the lake.

The mustachioed windsurfers in their cutoffs that I sit with don't complain about newbies. We give them a wide berth and get that they are going to drag through. We help them land their kites. Once in a blue moon there is an incident of some sort but it is rare.

Dude you got a bad attitude. And what have you got against facial hair anyway?
I wish my TOW was longer!
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

I am going to chip in a little here as I spend a lot of time up there.

The main one for me is all the kites and lines all over the place.
Please only pump up the kite you are going to use.
On long weekends a lot of people(mainly out of towners) like to pump their whole quiver and leave it on the beach all day. I really dont get this one? Your kite gets UV damage, worn from the wind, and stuff crashed and tossed on it all day. Take the extra 5 mins and pump up only what you need at each time. If the wind in variable and you are changing often, stack your kites up against each other and wrap your lines. I repeat WRAP YOUR LINES. This seems to be a really tough one for a lot of people.
This season the area just upwind of the sauna has seemed to become the most favorable launch. Everybody is welcome to launch there, but it is a high risk zone just downwind of were students learn. Trainer kites coming down all the time, student entering the water mostly in control, but often times stepping on the hoards of gear people decide to park there. You can launch there, but it is very crowded and your gear might get trashed... so I would chose another location myself.
Smartang I see what you about the "Nitinat roll and shoot" but I am going to have to say I am not a fan of the onshore launch. If you cannot launch your kite without stalling and crashing it, then you need to go take a professional lesson. Period. I dont care if it is with us or them or anyone, just do it. This is a basic skill and you do not belong on the lake if you cannot safely do it. The trees are a good lesson for over confident noobs.
As for the windsurfer zone, I try to get my students far out on the lake and away from your crew. This is not always possible as we are dealing with students here. The majority of you are very reasonable, give a wide berth to student, and smile when you ride by. There are a few out there that like to cut very close downwind of a student, and some even like to yell at a student with a downed kite coming close to them or to shore(this one goes for kiters too) Remember that they are learning and you are in control. I am next to them on the boat to help if anything gets dangerous. At least these students are smart enough to take a lesson and learn to be safe so they dont hurt others.
Most of you are great (WS and Kites) but please cut the learners a little a slack and give them a wide berth, we were all kooks at one point too!

And to end my rant here. Unlike Squamish we are not paid to run a rescue service on the lake. Of course if anyone is in trouble we are going to help, no questions asked. But at the very least a thank you is in order. I rescued a lot of equipment this year only to have it taken when I was not around. Not so much as a thank you. I have rocked up to kooks with downed kites drifting down the lake and asked them why they are not self rescuing to hear " whats that?" then they bitterly storm off when I suggest a lesson as I drop them off. If you are ok, your gear is not trashed and can be used for a self rescue you might even think about compensating this person that went out of their way to rescue you when you were not really in trouble...
Vik

Post by Vik »

MartyD wrote: Smartang I see what you about the "Nitinat roll and shoot" but I am going to have to say I am not a fan of the onshore launch. If you cannot launch your kite without stalling and crashing it, then you need to go take a professional lesson. Period. I dont care if it is with us or them or anyone, just do it. This is a basic skill and you do not belong on the lake if you cannot safely do it.
When weekends are busy at NN I rig my kite and walk out into the water to launch it. Not because I'm worried I'll blow my launch, but because it's an easy way to avoid the chaos of lines/kites and kooks on the beach... :lol: :wink:
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
smartang

Post by smartang »

Ghsghkht
Last edited by smartang on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AC

":)

Post by AC »

Bla bla bla, Way to much time on your hands";
Last edited by AC on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CTK

Post by CTK »

I love how some people are deterring the land side launch, referring to the beach rocks and other people's kites as dangerous obstacles. How many other places have you kited? This is a very safe launch area with minimal obstacles. If someone steps on my kite by accident im not going to care. There are much worse things in life to stress about. You don't like the extremely rare case of this? Don't leave it there unless your heading out. Petsonally I find it more of a gong show watching people trying to get there lines over everyones kites and not getting caught up on the larger rocks in the shallows on water side launches. If a learner occasionally lands his kite in the windsurfers zone because they are having troubles and anyone makes a big deal about it. They need to give there head a shake and get a life. There is nothing wrong with how things operate at nitnat. If you want to launch waterside good on you. I just prefer launching beachside.
AC

ps

Post by AC »

The wind is really Bad at the River Smartang . You may want too depower the kite a little:) 8)
GWIND

Wow

Post by GWIND »

Wow
Please everyone stop this. Your making me to happy,
You are all starting to eat each other. That is what rats do
when there is to many of them in a confined space.

Think about it. :lol:
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
skywalker

Summary of the Rantings

Post by skywalker »

Ok, I'm going to summarize this, and hopefully these will serve as updated rules for 2012/2013.

Kiteboarders Rules:

1- Only inflate and leave 1 kite. Wrap your lines up until just before you ready to launch. Otherwise your gear will be donated to the village kids.

2- Launch and land with extreme caution well away from the WS area. Do not walk on gear. Non kiters/ kids/ dogs have right of way.

3- Give the school and students a wide berth, and remember we were all once (still) kooks

4- Stay away from windsurfers area on the beach and on the water. They are a critically endangered species. Only approach them if you are also wearing short jeans and sporting a stache.

5- Try not to mow the lawn near the beach area.

6-Don't jump/ ride near the beach when people are trying to launch and land. Nobody cares about your pussy loops and handle crashes anyway.

Windsurfers Rules

1- Understand that the occasional kite kook will have to float into the WS area due to lack of wind. This is a sign of respect to the windsurf upwind prowess.

2- Students body dragging thru your area are actually paying hommage to the windsurf gods.

3- Keep windsurfing. Kiteboarding sucks- Don't try it.

All People

1- Pay the camp fees, and don't bitch about it.

2- Littering sucks. Pick up your sh#$

3- Respect the sauna, and other attractions. Try to chop wood for them. Give beer to the people that built them.

4- Pick up litter once per visit...bring a plastic bag and clean to beach once in a while of all cans/ bikinis/ etc.

5- Try to keep the bongos/ partying down after midnight.

6- If you get rescued, it's $20.
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
otisdadog

Post by otisdadog »

For the most part I find the lake manages itself quite well considering the amount of people that are there. The only thing that that causes me a bit of grief or concern is when you occasionally see people walking their kites up the beach while the kite is still flying from the windsurf launch area. I appreciated that de-rigging and re-rigging your gear is annoying and you want to get back upwind and keep ridding as soon as possible, but if you've started at the normal kite launch area and you've been blown that far downwind you don't have the skills to walk a flying kite up the beach. Fortunately this isn't a common practice and as a community we should ensure that it doesn't become that.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Good job on the updated rules/guidelines. They should be posted at Nitnat.
8)
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Agree...good job on the rules.

Otis....could they be trying to get to where it's safer to land, with someone experienced to catch? Rather than risk self-landing below the windsurf area or worse in the windsurf area ... and the chaos that would surely result.

I don't know NN that well ... but walking it back upwind with lots of depower on could be a safer option?
bajabarb

The rigging area

Post by bajabarb »

Great reading on this thread.

My comment is to relax!!!! 2011 I barely wanted to go to Nitinhat because of what I called Kite Nazi's. So many ego's with their vision of what needs to go on.... I've kited all over the place and encountered some really different launches, go to Maui & check out that crowded launch, Nitinhat is a breeze!

SAFTEY is the rule. My usual kite spot is next to where a lot of downwinders start. Seen a lot of people do things they shouldn't. If you are learning be honest with your ability. Ask for help. If we see the need we volunteer. I can't tell you how many times, we've added a body to hold a harness, check someones power and be sure that they know how and when to abort the launch! Also ask if they have a landing plan!!!!! The gentle reminders while the adrenaline of a newbie launching is usually well received. I agree w/Marty if they are clueless, refuse to help and send them back to lessons!

Everyone has good and bad launches/landing so those on the beach may want to check out someones ablilty on the water before they ream into someone they don't know. I've had a fantastic 2 hour season up there, positioned my kite in the center of a large amount of landed kites, had a minor bobble on the actual grounding & endured a 15 minute tirade. Only redeeming thing that day was the next person coming in just about tomahawked the guy!

Lot's of people don't understand right of ways law's either. Simple for the windsurfer issue, anywhere you go, just try and stay out of their way. If you are going downwind, know it is their space and you will be through them soon. If you are upwind and they are with you, they really know what they are doing. As far as landing on their beach, stuff happens and they should see if it was accidental or unplanned. If it is a matter of a plan, gently point it out as to the better or preferred landing area. All kiters should understand that windsurfers EVERYWHERE have their spot to rig up also.

My Nitinhat mantra is pump up, get out, go upwind, have fun, land and wrap the lines then get my stuff out of there if I am done......

SAFETY, EDUCATE (not go ballistic) and relax, we were all there once and we all need help from time to time! Never forget to say thanks, 6 packs of beer & a $20 go a long way!