Beachdog Skimboard

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Vik

Beachdog Skimboard

Post by Vik »

http://beachdogskim.com/

I tried one of the Beachdog skimboards that Mark at Elevation had a hand in designing this summer and really liked it. So I used the cash from my Mako 150 sale and bought one.

It's well made and super fun to ride. Seems like it will be ideal for those less than epic days where riding a sufboard feels like you brought a chainsaw to a knife fight... :D

Unlike my surfboards this skim is very robust and can be ridden in shallow water without concern for thrashing it. Traveling with it is easier as well and it's got great lightwind potential.

It was a lot easier to ride than I thought. I'm looking forward to spending a good chunk of time on it in La Ventana this winter.

I've seen a lot of these boards at Nithat this summer and everyone seems to be enjoying them...nice work Mark! :D
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Martin

Post by Martin »

I have now had the Beachdog skim out for a few sessions here in LaVentana.
It just gets better and better.
Can't get enough of the thing!
It prefers a bit of wind and then tracks like it is on rails.
You can really power through the turns on a wave.
It is light, flexy and smooths out the chop.
Try it you'll like it. Trust me! :D
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Thank you for not logging your sessions Martin, that's too painful to take.

When you get back and those spring thermals start, maybe one day I can try out your skim? Sounds fun. (and of course I break it or lose, I buy it ;-)
jhans

Post by jhans »

yeah i was interested in a board but had a hard time connecting. What's the cost? Is it still possible to get one on the island? Any around for demo?
Vik

Post by Vik »

jhans wrote:yeah i was interested in a board but had a hard time connecting. What's the cost? Is it still possible to get one on the island? Any around for demo?
$495 w/ a nice bag. You can buy them online here:

http://elevationkiteboarding.com/gear-a ... th-boards/

Mark keeps his stock in Port Alberni so getting one on the Island is no problem. I had a friend who was passing through PA grab it for me.

I'd let you demo mine, but it's unlikely I'm going to make it to the beach before I leave for La Ventana.
Last edited by Vik on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Vik

Post by Vik »

Glad you are having fun with it Martin... :D

I'm bringing mine to La Ventana. I've used it on a light wind day at Nithat and it rides great with limited power as well. It seems very versatile and pretty easy to ride. :D
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Martin

Post by Martin »

Lovin it!
Can't wait for a good El Norte' to set up some waves at the "generals"
martin, on the beach with his Beachdog Skim!
Vik

Post by Vik »

Martin wrote:Lovin it!
Can't wait for a good El Norte' to set up some waves at the "generals"
martin, on the beach with his Beachdog Skim!
I'll be camped just below the General's so I'll see you there! :D

I'm driving this year so I can bring my quiver of boards and a 6m kite for the epic days.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
jhans

Post by jhans »

thanks vik. would love to try it before spending $550 on a skim board. I have one of the nobile ones but want to try something with a little more surf feel.
Vik

Post by Vik »

jhans wrote:thanks vik. would love to try it before spending $550 on a skim board. I have one of the nobile ones but want to try something with a little more surf feel.
I don't blame you. I felt the same way and only decided to get one after someone lent me their skim to try. So I figure I should pass on the karma.

I also checked out some other kite specific skims and the Beachdog was the clear winner.

If you are down in La Ventana I'll have mine available to try and Baja Joe's will have a skim to demo. I'll be back on the Island in Feb and we can work out a time to meet up so you can try it in the new year.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
jhans

Post by jhans »

thanks vik. appreciate it. should be able to enjoy the surf, skim and TT i have for now.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

jhans...it was too bad you wwere not down at the spit today (if you were so I did not meet you) as I would have let you try out mine. Ruben gave it a go and could probably comment on it for you. I personally like it as well...super fun and playfull. BTW I am the guy who has them in Port Aberni and am working in Cambell River for a time so I could possibly lend you mine to try out.... Also if you need north, mystic or ion gear we can hook you up as well.

Cheers
Dale
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
jhans

Post by jhans »

sweet dale. appreciate it. I'd be stoked to try it out/borrow it for a couple of sessions. Give me a shout if you are rolling through. I live on the old island highway in royston. looks like there should be some wind towards the end of the week.
Jacob - six.04.240.703eight.