Crossing Straits / downwinders

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
abetanzo

Crossing Straits / downwinders

Post by abetanzo »

I'd like to attempt a crossing of a strait with a kite or at the least a long downwind event here in Victoria. I've heard the legends and tall tales and would like to have one of mine own.
The Georgia was done in just over an hour and I've heard Port Angeles is about the same. Logistically making a border crossing with your kite /board /dry duffle bag could prove to be difficult but it could happen.
I'd like to gather info and any stories about making it happen and try to organize some boats to assist.
If the conditions permitted I'd really like to kite across to Port Townsend which is a port of entry, or alternatively kite from Port Renfrew or Gordon's to Cook St!!
Let me know what you think and I will do my best to organize a fleet and a couple support boats!
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

As long as there is a chase boat I am in!
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

a guy in sooke did a crossing of the Strait last year with a couple of those hobie kayak sail boats, and a support boat. I can try to find the info if interested.
otisdadog

Post by otisdadog »

I'm definetely interested in a doing a downwinder, especially if there's a support boat. I'll chip in for fuel for the support boat too.
Ryball

Post by Ryball »

Definitely interested. Keep me in the loop for sure.
gabe

Crossing

Post by gabe »

It was done early Sept. but not where you plan to do lots of info about it here:
http://kiteboardbc.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... ilit=CROSS
cheers
Gabe
Enjoying both wind and kitesurfing.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

cheers gabe... seen that one and was surprised at the time... 34km is awesome.. hats off to the guys but I totally would have sailed back!
when you think about it if you can average 15 knots or 28km/hr you can cover some distance...
sailing my sailboat from Vic to vancouver was 2-10hour days one way with early mornings to catch the tide... only going 6-8knots at the max!
the juan de fuca blows fairly consistent in a good thermal and if you timed it well with working tides and support boats you could easily have a wicked day on the water!
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

abetanzo wrote: hats off to the guys but I totally would have sailed back!
Would probably feel good to even things out a bit anyways! (I suspect one of the biggest challenges is pinching in one direction for so long, like a long traverse on a snowboard)
abetanzo

YEAHMONs log

Post by abetanzo »

"o.k got my kite out of the freezer bag,and thought hey lets do a 53km downwinder found neoprene and head out with Phil to hit it, yyeeaaaahhh, we left late but we left, down we go,our safety gear was 2 kiteboards, 7knots at gordons shore hhhmmmm, only have the one kite in this country, Phil on 15 me, niner ,but out was nice, we had a mini conference off that beach 6 miles down and said we are good, so down ,dwon,down, really killer swell off beechy head, porpoises off pedder,close behind Phil at one point and he disappeared in a big swell what a cool view, wind pumped up 26 ish 4 miles before race rocks and i thought wow race could be cranking ,poor Phil could be airborne and requesting clearance in seattle airport but he had total control of his ozone monster in that 26 knots and did not head into the ozone with his ozone, so once we got to race we knew this was the sketchy area, and sketchy it was, wind backed wwaaaayyyy off and once we waved goodbye to race we were commited,late in the evening a bit in the lee, a little voice said go back up and land on race, but a little bigger voice said no this is more risky and good for the heart rate, all the way down only 1 boat, are all the fish gone,anyways a lot of looping 1hr worth, fell off board half way from race and said hoolllyy kelp batman,thereno wind yyiiikkkeess, must of been 9 knots and we are 12km off, go for it, 2 ships out loading pilots, once i could see the cruise ships i felt like ok i can swim from here, anyways thanks to the great soverign of the wind we made it, Phil beat me, next time Phil and there will be a next, real soon, nice to have a welcome from Danger Dane and his buddy and Chris of course, big thx to her for my launch and the driving and great dinner, all I can say is more please but lets go from jordan to island view, actually i am going in swiftsure this weekend on a 72 footer and had to do a current check at the 40 fathom line 3 miles off beechy head, so guys lets get together and same course ,race, what you think, oh yeah what a #69 log this is,sorry if i went on tooo much blah,blah,but i am still totally stoked"
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

wanted to post Yeahmon's log from yesterday! I was packing up at the beach when Kayakdoc launched and saw them head out when leaving the parking lot! amazing story!
This is a trip I'd like to attempt and try to make a friendly race! Kayak obviously beat him due to keeping a hold of that 15m but he probably wasn't that far behind!
I'd feel happy with a shore crew to keep an eye out and have a boat or two at the ready in Pedder bay or following along... but it just goes to show how easy it is!!!
imagine the stoke to have this as an annual event people!!!!
KayakDoc

Gordo's to Cook

Post by KayakDoc »

As far as beating Kenny home we really stayed fairly close to keep an eye on each other. I have posted and my trip log covers some of the next goals and gear. Cheers, Phil.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

gear essentials:
pfd, vhf, gps, spot tracker (or similar gps/becon/emergency button), cell phone, food/ water...

otherwise having a chase boat ain't a necessity I'd say but having one ready to respond within a half hour would be nice!
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

I was thinking the same thing except on my SUP. I could easily cruise at 10 plus knots. Plus have lots of deck space for safety gear. The hard part IMO with crossing the straight in the summer is the large variation in wind speed direction and wave size.
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

count me in...

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

If I'm here id like in on this...
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Would not having a safety boat be bad for possible future ban if rescue is needed(Coast Guard)? Not saying if there is one rescue in 4 years, but let say these huge downwinder start to happen more often, averaging one or two rescue a year, any danger of putting a ban on kb/ws? Especially if rescue happens between Renfrew and Sooke, that would be lots of gas $$$. Helo? Rhib?

To cross the strait to the states to, no boat standing by?

Also, there are a lot of places around the trek where even if you have 5 kiters when one kite goes down (blow up/unrelaunchable/spreader bar/harness/etc...) the 4 kiters wont be able to tow back the 5th one because of wind shadow (just past race rock for example, or Sooke Bay). Or it would take a very very long towing downwind, risking braking a line due to extra weight.

Or worse, if wind dies, 5 kiters way up ??? Coast guard arrive, they wont be impress...

Just wondering.

There is a whale watcher going from Victoria to Port Renfrew for Tall Tree Music Festival (upwinder). I am wondering if they are going to Drive/Tow it back to Victoria or they are going to make the treck back on water?

If they are going back to Victoria on water.... Well, lets hope that the 1st of July will have some westerly!!! I am pretty sure if we all spit ??$$$ they will agree to do it. The more the better.

Not sure exact return date of the whale watcher boat (Renfrew Ogden Point), but will inquire, or Todd and Ned will.