Video Footage

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
TheeGrimmCreeper

Video Footage

Post by TheeGrimmCreeper »

If you are making a video. Should the people in it be allowed to choose what clips you use?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

That sure would make an already long and difficult process that much longer and more difficult. Everyone has an opinion, best to stick with yours unless you are wanting advice on which to clips to use. I think they call it; artistic license?
Don't forget to bring a towel!
TheeGrimmCreeper

Post by TheeGrimmCreeper »

nanmoo wrote:That sure would make an already long and difficult process that much longer and more difficult. Everyone has an opinion, best to stick with yours unless you are wanting advice on which to clips to use. I think they call it; artistic license?
I see.... Its just that I was told that I was gonna be in somebodies video and had no choice in the matter. I for one would like to know what the content of this video would be and whether it reflects who and what I am in a respectful manor.
JL

Post by JL »

I'm with Nanmoo on this. HOWEVER when I make videos @ surf spots I e-mail a link to the windsurfers/kiters/surfers individually rather than posting 'secret spot' footage here. :? No need for camera 'agro' ... We have a few paparazzi who's work is so exceptional that they are shared by all without mentioning location :idea:
Thermals are good.
MartyD

Post by MartyD »

I like your style TheeGrimmCreeper.
A non kiting friend offered to make up a video from my Margaret River footage. Great editing... but not a single sequence that I would have picked was on there :roll:
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

JL wrote:HOWEVER when I make videos @ surf spots I e-mail a link to the windsurfers/kiters/surfers individually rather than posting 'secret spot' footage here.
I feel like this is calling me out, so I will equate our difference of opinion to a generational thing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
JL

Post by JL »

Nothing personal intended young Skywalker 8) I respect those who have gone before ME :!:
Thermals are good.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

TheeGrimmCreeper wrote:
nanmoo wrote:That sure would make an already long and difficult process that much longer and more difficult. Everyone has an opinion, best to stick with yours unless you are wanting advice on which to clips to use. I think they call it; artistic license?
I see.... Its just that I was told that I was gonna be in somebodies video and had no choice in the matter. I for one would like to know what the content of this video would be and whether it reflects who and what I am in a respectful manor.
I think it is appropriate to get a feeling from you what you are into, and then screen it with you prior to it going public. But failing that, unless you are Tom Cruise, it's either a you are in in or you want out kind of thing. It already takes hours to sift through clips, it would take hours more if you had to coordinate that with each of your subjects every time. Personally I am just happy to end up in someones footage.

Now of course my view changes if they were making more of a documentary or something where they were actually profiling you, or your opinions.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

JL wrote:Nothing personal intended young Skywalker 8) I respect those who have gone before ME :!:
I am of the view that the world would be a better place the more people get on the water. Plus in this day and age of the Nanny-state, more exposure could help open areas up, which might benefit us all. Surfing will never be Skiing/Snowboarding/Mountain Biking, not only is it cold and wet, it can only be done where a very small proportion of the population lives on the very edge of the coast, so I think fears of videos blowing stuff up are kind of misdirected.
JL

Post by JL »

After a few surfers / windsurfers / kiters I respect asked me not to mention certain locations in my http://www.bigwavedave.ca/forecasts.php?page=8 I have personally gone along with their requests & will apply the same respect to pictures / videos. I share the opinion that if more of us enjoyed the ocean the world would / could be a better place :P
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

JL wrote:After a few surfers / windsurfers / kiters I respect asked me not to mention certain locations in my http://www.bigwavedave.ca/forecasts.php?page=8 I have personally gone along with their requests & will apply the same respect to pictures / videos. I share the opinion that if more of us enjoyed the ocean the world would / could be a better place :P
totally agree with both points...it would be great if more newbies would enjoy Pat Bay and Elk Lake :wink: but of course everyone wants to be a hero on the first day :roll: I am reminded of certain kiters at a certain location not more than a few days ago.....
I am starting to relate to the local surfer attitude, as embarrassing as that might be :oops: can't even imagine sailing at Kook St anymore, it feels like a beach in Europe :x I like company on the water, not a mob :idea: and there are precious few wave spots in BC so unless you wanna top-rope down to your favorite break with all your gear maybe keep locations out of the thread :?:

But this is about starring in footage....Randy or Mike always manage to post my most shameful moments and there is nothing I can do about it :lol: I am happy he gets the odd one where I actually do something right and I have a memento for that day :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
olaf

localism

Post by olaf »

As a new comer to this island, i do not have the time to learn the decades of local knowledge. So the tribe (windsurfers and kiters) do not want to share?! :shock: :(
Makes me realize that the whole community has evolved into something i don't even recognize anymore. I have been involved in many different locations of the tribe and Vancouver Island is the most narcissist. Too bad.
"In the old days" there would be messages of 'YOU NEED TO BE HERE!!!' Now its about the how 'I' got it and 'you' didn't.
O'well, times have changed, i guess need to adapt.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
nanmoo

Re: localism

Post by nanmoo »

olaf wrote:As a new comer to this island, i do not have the time to learn the decades of local knowledge. So the tribe (windsurfers and kiters) do not want to share?! :shock: :(
Makes me realize that the whole community has evolved into something i don't even recognize anymore. I have been involved in many different locations of the tribe and Vancouver Island is the most narcissist. Too bad.
"In the old days" there would be messages of 'YOU NEED TO BE HERE!!!' Now its about the how 'I' got it and 'you' didn't.
Not everyone is like that. If you go looking you won't catch me not sharing.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: localism

Post by winddoctor »

olaf wrote:As a new comer to this island, i do not have the time to learn the decades of local knowledge. So the tribe (windsurfers and kiters) do not want to share?! :shock: :(
VERY surprised to read this. From a surfing perspective, I'd agree with your sentiment. From a wind related one, this doesn't match my experience or many of the guys/women I sail with at all. I see the wind community here as very inclusive, especially on the windsurfing side of things (not many of us left-gotta huddle together :lol: ). It's unfortunate your experience has been the opposite.

Back on topic though, should people who are in a video you make be allowed to choose which clips you use?

Short answer is no, in my humble opinion. Would it be a respectful gesture, appreciated by the subjects of the video, etc? Yes. But unless you are in some contractual agreement with the videographer, why should you have any say as to what gets released? Are we talking about a 2 minute video of kite jumps being posted to youtube or a documentary that has a videographer telling your life story? You didn't say what kind of video you will be featured in. Are you named in the video? I believe it is perfectly within the legal rights (though not always well received) of a photographer/ videographer to photograph or film people in public places without consent. It would be a complete logistical nightmare and unreasonable to expect someone to allow you and everyone else to edit/choose the clips used for a video. Is the person profitting in any way from the video? Even if they are, they don't require your input, appreciated as it might be by you. I'm no lawyer, but I think you're out of luck from a legal perspective.

Couldn't hurt to contact the person behind the lens, get more info, and see if they'd be amenable to your input, however.
Poultry in motion