New intro for old member

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
windaddiction

New intro for old member

Post by windaddiction »

So I know some of you know me but I think it may be a good time to start fresh after my long leave of absence. So where have I been and what have I been doing. Well I ended up selling of all my gear probably back in 2006-2007. At the time I didn't realize it but I was struggling with some mental health issues that were causing severe anxiety. To the point where I was literally terrified to do a lot of activities that I enjoyed. Luckily My now wife came into the picture, and even more luckily she stuck around and was the driving factor in me getting better and seeking the help that I needed. As part of this whole process unfolded over many years I made the decision to leave the military as it did not fit in with.... well anything.

So good news now I am doing very well have a small boy a new job and am very happy. And really missing the water. I will be picking up another board of sorts.... a BIC Jungle!! I know I know but I think it'll be great as I currently live a few blocks from Esquimalt lagoon. Plus it gives me a perfect entry board to teach my wife to windsurf. ( Got to get her hooked ). I am also excited at the prospect of trying to wave sail it and just being able to get back in the water in any form.

So here is where i need some advice. Sails and rigs, I want to be able to plane in 10-15 knots no problem and then be able to use the mast and boom to rig a smaller sail for the waves and to teach my wife the basics. Does anyone have any sizing suggestions? as well and old sails and rigs that are collecting dust I'll be interested in.

I am really motivated to get back into a sport that brought me so much happiness. thanks guys !
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

Hey is this Dave!? Welcome back!! I have a Starboard Trance that you might want to use. 84 litres.
curses - foiled again!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: New intro for old member

Post by KUS »

windaddiction wrote:I will be picking up another board of sorts.... a BIC Jungle!! I know I know but I think it'll be great as I currently live a few blocks from Esquimalt lagoon. Plus it gives me a perfect entry board to teach my wife to windsurf. ....Sails and rigs, I want to be able to plane in 10-15 knots no problem and then be able to use the mast and boom to rig a smaller sail for the waves and to teach my wife the basics. ...!
thx for sharing your personal stuff and welcome back :)

sorry to say there is no such rig that serves all those needs
what you describe is what everyone coming into the sport is looking for and is an old story.....I need ONE set to do EVERYTHING for multiple people....like a pair of shoes fits everyone in your family for all seasons of the year :roll:

good luck planing the jungle in 10-15 knots....you may wish to consider a 12m sail, sorry but you are likely dreaming :idea: it will be great for SUP paddle and learning. For sailing suggest you will need another board....and a different sail and mast...
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

Yes it is Dave!!! I might take you up on the offer to borrow some gear, the only thing I kept is my wetsuit! You really think I'd need a 12M sail to get that thing planing? Eeek um well then lets focus on what size rig to grab maybe to just teach my wife the basics and get the board moving in a decent breeze? It is hard with limited money to spend on toys I thought this board should give the most family fun for the money and hopefully spark some interest in the sport for my wife.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

hey dude, welcome back! as someone who took an extended break 95 to 001 i can say its pretty fun coming back in and gearing up again with a new perspective. great move picking up the sup, i am a huge fan of sup sailing.

what id like to say though is when i sail my sup i pretty much forget about trying to get planing and instead have fun sightseeing and goofing around with the heli tacks, 360s, lee side etc. To get serious about planing in light winds you need a huge rig and a light board/giant fin. The sup is all about having fun so that is what to focus on!

My recommendation if you are building a quiver from zero is to get a 400 mast and a 30cm extension, then you can pick up a few sails from 5.9 (ish) down to 4.2. you are pretty much all good. :D skinny mast if you can afford it but otherwise don't worry about it much. just lowball some stuff off the buy-sell (or get the good stuff from Kus) :wink: and go get wet! :lol:
JL

Post by JL »

Welcome back :P Light wind :idea: Consider kite surfing 8) No lugging around slalom gear for those light wind sessions :idea:
Thermals are good.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

Hey Dave - Take you wife camping at Nitinat and that will spark her interest for sure!
curses - foiled again!
livetheocean

Post by livetheocean »

Hi,

Welcome back to the sport - the Jungle will be a great board for finding your feet again, and it'll be fun to paddle in the waves too (and sail in subplaning winds out at JR.) I find that having a sailable SUP has tripled my time on the water (although that's not saying much these days!)

If you're looking for a decent priced quiver I have a 4.7 North Rave, 5.3 Simmer Vision and 5.8 Severne Freestyle, as well as a Chinook alloy boom, regular 430 mast and skinny 430 that I am more than likely replacing so would be willing to part with for a decent price. They'Re all circa 2004, in fair condition, except the 5.8 which needs a repair. The only thing you'd need would be an extension and a base. I plan to post the ads on the site soon - let me know if you want a sneak peek beforehand though.

Cheers,

David
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

thankgodiatepastafobreaky wrote:Hey Dave - Take you wife camping at Nitinat and that will spark her interest for sure!
Yes it's the whole tent camping with an 18 month old.... lol maybe we'll stop in for a visit next time we are out your way!
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

So have the board and a rig! Had it out for a paddle and surf in Tofino this weekend. Very impressed there is lots of rocker in it and lots of volume. Can't wait ti rig up the sail!
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

So little update for you all,

First it surfs good, had it in tofino in 1-2 foot waves and it carves well and will catch anything! Had a hard time paddling in the waves however. My brother in law took it out for a paddle with no wet suit on, and never being on a SUP and managed to stay dry.

I just took it out in esquimalt logoon today in verrrrry marginal conditions. around 5-7 knots of wind at the most on a 5.7 and it was great! moved along well pointed good ( with the giant dagger board in) and for the first time ever I was tacking and jybing!

This was my first time out in years and it was awesome can't wait to get it out in the 10-20 knot range and just cruise.