Oregon Coast BWD Wavesailing Camp 2013

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

Making a reservation for Thursday evening. Coming home the following weekend.
Give'R
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

May try to take the last ferry Wed night and make some headway South.
Poultry in motion
windsurf247

gorge trip

Post by windsurf247 »

We're making our first ever :oops: trip to the Gorge next week. Pretty stoked. I just checked the Weather Network long range forecast though and they're predicting temps close to 100F all week (Hood River). Is that going to kill the wind? Is there a better forecast page to use?
Thx
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

classic, gorge heat wave means head to the coast. ive done this, i sat cooking in HR when i should have been down in Florence.. also toured the Newport aquarium in the rainy/fog when i should have been up at the gorge. That said, i did find some puffy sailable wind at dougs beach in the heat. good to check what Temira's call is at gorgeismygym.com.
windsurf247

forecasting

Post by windsurf247 »

There seems to be some discrepancy in the long range forecasts (go figure) :roll: Weather network is predicting close to 100F all week (July1-6) while a few other sites are in the 80's- low 90's. Is there a preferred site to use? Temira's seems to be more short range.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

i see what you mean, accuweather is totally different from wunderground.. pick the one you like and go!! :lol:
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

yep 100F in hood river = Florence/Oceanside. Pretty much nothing worse than 100 in Hood River....I guess you could find some shade and drink beer all day. : )
Give'R
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

However, with little ones in the back seat, family play in the sands at Doug's beach can be quite a nice way to allow a 100 F day to pass - Staying in the gorge or going to the coast depends on how bad the wind-worshippers need a fix. I look at Intellicast, checking the forecast for the Dalles versus Hood River, but that is only a general indicator of weather, not wind.
windsurf247

gorge??

Post by windsurf247 »

We're not necessarily committed to the Gorge, although we are looking forward to checking it out. We have 10 days to go somewhere (with kids) and wind is definitely on the agenda :D Coast? Nitinat? Nimpkish? Gorge? Also have the option of kiting or windsurfing, although we don't really have the luxury of packing everything so it would be kinda nice to know where we're heading and pack accordingly.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

The forecasts into the end of the week are too dodgy to really tell what is going to happen, but there is a solid SW swell forecast that would be terrible to go to waste. Thus I am heading to seaside wed/thurs to surf then coming home and going to tofino until Monday. At least I know ill score waves that way. Hopefully you guys get what you're looking for down here. While this years trip wasn't quite what I expected, it has still been a lot of fun. Maybe I'll try again July/August.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

downwind dave wrote:good to check what Temira's call is at gorgeismygym.com.
hmm, yeah, no, her forecast is either based on the blatantly obvious (dogs being blown off their chains and she states "it should be windy today") or she misses the key indicators on an iffy day and is not on :roll: windspeed is more reliable, sorry. Missing Bingen Bart & Inflictor's input :idea:

As for the heat, generally this is true but even the coast can be shut down on those hot coast days. The MM5 model is pretty reliable to give you a clue.

As for staying cool, some of the hikes toward Mt Hood in the forest, or up the hill from Home Valley, not sure what hte road is called but some lakes and trails up there, also camping......Hanging in the grassy shade at the Hood River Marina grounds where kids can play in knee deep water and you can shop til you drop nearby in town. There is also a free frisbee golf course by the city hall, fun for the whole gang with a couple of frisbees, if you want the golf discs, Doug's on the main drag carries them. Or park by the railyard or somewhere near windance and go for a dip in the Hood River.

GOTTA CATCH THE FIREWORKS AT THE MARINA!! Have the BBQ, frisbee, football etc and a spot ready and picked out!

Avoid Portland, Salem areas on those hot days....your previously reliable vehicle can be not so reliable all of a sudden, real drag with kids to be stuck on I5 with steam pouring from your rig, dripping tranny fluid etc. :!: :!:
Last edited by KUS on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Wind alert is only showing 13g18 for most of the weekend on the coast but there will be a good SW swell. What happened to the pistol of two years ago that would fire constantly and consistently ?
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

i can do that, i got my sup with the mast plug. but yeah i hear ya! :lol:
i agree w/kus, lots of good family options at HR, wind or no.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

It's raining and not super warm in hood right now. Suggestions?

To add fuel to the fire I just checked some of the forecasting information I use for work and the consensus there was this low would stall out offshore until Thursday then slide south and onshore into the weekend setting up southerly flow. So who knows? Junuary is one thing but julyuary?
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

i was thinking hot and no wind.. rain and no wind, grab what you came for and head home via maryhill w/fingers crossed?