School me on flatwater SUPs

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
KC7777

School me on flatwater SUPs

Post by KC7777 »

OK,

I really like my Fanatic Allwave SUP 8'10x31". This will be my go to for SUPing in waves and SUP sailing.

I think I have sold my 10'x34" Starboard Whopper.....just waiting on the guy to pay me (stay tuned it may come up here).

As I do spend a lot of time in Chilliwack and at Hornby Island (flatwater) I am thinking I need a flatwater SUP. I don't think I would ever race but who knows. I will probably just use it for 2 - 3 hour jaunts around Hornby or Harrison/Cultus lakes.

I can get some pretty good prices on Fanatic SUPS from Gorge Surf Shop and have looked at:

Fanatic Ray SUP 12'0 ($1,550)
Fanatic Fly Race Wood SUP 12'6" ($2,100)

I am leaning towards the longer, narrower, racier, sexier all wood Fly Race. It is $550 more than the Ray.

OR I just saw a 2011 Naish Glide 14' carbon for $1,399 at BigWinds?

I know some of you are experts on flatwater SUPs.....I am pretty clueless on these. Thoughts or brand/model recommendations? Or flatwater SUP boards for sale!

Thanks,

Here are pics the 2 Fanatics:
Attachments
Clear-Wood_800x450.png
Clear-Wood_800x450.png (237.12 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
Ray_12_0x31_75_800x450.png
Ray_12_0x31_75_800x450.png (217.08 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
Last edited by KC7777 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

I would look for something you can use in rougher water and downwinders too. I'm not sure how heavy/fat you are but that will determine width and if you look at 14s. I would say if you are over 180 then a 14 would be better for speed, glide and tracking.

I don't know much about the Fanatics but they look sweet. I would take the Fly Race over the Ray on performance alone. The Falcon would be my top choice though, especially if you ever want to race.

For downwinders the Naish glide would be really good. Not sure how they are in flat water. There is lots of info here:
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php

I'm Starboard biased so I'd pick an All Star 12-6 or 14x27 which you can race, are fast in flat water and you can use for downwinders. Also the older Coast Runner or Surf Race would be good too. Check with Warren at theeasyrider.com:
http://www.theeasyrider.com/palladium/w ... Plist1.jpg
http://www.theeasyrider.com/palladium/w ... Plist2.jpg

In reality you will likely go through a few boards if you get hooked on downwinders, racing and distance paddling like I did. So just demo a bunch in the Gorge and pick one that you like :)

There should be some team rider boards up for sale in Sept/Oct too.

Dave
KC7777

flatwater

Post by KC7777 »

Thanks Dave,

At 180 lbs fat on a not so lanky 5'7" frame, thinking 12'6" - 14" length but what width?....I see from 26" - 30" for flatwater SUPs?

PS - if ever in shape I am more likely 170 - 175 lbs.

Keith
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

For length, if you have no issues storing or transporting a 14 then it will give you better speed, glide and tracking. For a 12-6 you will probably have to go a bit wider to get enough volume. It's always a tough call on length. I started with 14 and now I'm mostly on a 12-6. For long distance racing the 14 is the most popular. For just cruising around or training, or for short course racing, a 12-6 would work. Downwinding will work on both.

Width is tricky since it not exactly comparable between brands. The Starboard All Star has a sunken deck so a 27" wide is as stable as a 29-30" higher deck. For the regular stand-on-top decks of the Fanatics or Naish's I would think you'd want 28" at least or 30" to be comfy. You really have to demo them if possible to see what works.
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

It's important to measure the chair you think you'll be using too.. :lol:
Attachments
Image 21.jpg
Image 21.jpg (238.5 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
Why aren't YOU out there?
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

Ray you should get the cool green Fanatic, it has your name right on the deck. Your RRD does have a nice motor though. :lol:
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Haha I'm curious about the thought process behind deciding this would even work.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Fearless

Outboard

Post by Fearless »

Outboard 9.9? Love it! S&L
livetheocean

Whopper

Post by livetheocean »

KC, pls PM me if your Whopper deal falls through. I have one already and love it, and I'd like another one for my in-laws at the lake, which will save me lugging mine over to Salt Spring all the time! Cheers!
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Not sure how serious "I" was when "I "suggested doing this but when someone says "Oh this I have to see! Let me get you a chair." you kind of have to go through with it. After or during happy hour anything is possible!
:D Sadly...one unfinished Gin and Tonic was spilled during the photo shoot. Next chair needs rear cup holders! :lol:
Why aren't YOU out there?