ALOHA BRAH!

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
clownboy

Post by clownboy »

One day I was sailing at Doug's Beach at the Gorge. Before jibing I happened to look upwind and spotted a guy who looked like he was about to jibe. Sure enough he began a nice arc that ended up putting the nose of his board right through my window. If I hadn't spotted him and watched as he piled into me at full speed he would have hit me in the spine...a last second twist of my body saved me. I was uninjured but a tad freaked out by the encounter and I used the "F" word with the fellow asking how he could jibe right into me? We sailed ashore and I was fairly pissed off.... "you didn't even look, man". The guy was sorry and offered to have my sail fixed. I suddenly realized I was being a hothead and apologized. Fact is, I was more offended than anything else; some how my space and pride had been violated. No one was hurt, my window got fixed and all was well. Made a new friend. No big deal. So why get mad. It's was just stupid. But it did give me an opportunity to grow up a bit. It sounds like some individuals (even hawaiians I guess) could grow up a lot. So the guy was an idiot...so what? Have a beer or a toke or whatever you do and get over it.
This summer I looked and jibed only to have a guy come from out of nowhere and go wizzing past my tail pretty close yelling "Look before you jibe!" The tone of his voice indicated he wasn't pleased. I yelled "Sorry" and waved as we exited our turns. He smiled and we tore off across the lake. No big deal.

kook st.

Post by Guest »

the first time i went to kook st. I got major attitute and left the island thinking that the kiters here suck...........after being there more i realized that it was just one asshole having a bad day BUT you can see how places get a rep.
TURTLE

Interesting topic

Post by TURTLE »

I wasn't able to follow the initial link. Perhaps it has been taken down?

Turtle
~ pimp hand ~

Re: Interesting topic

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

TURTLE wrote:I wasn't able to follow the initial link. Perhaps it has been taken down?

Turtle
the site must have pulled it ... i googled it and found it all over the place
TURTLE

Cultural Significance

Post by TURTLE »

Possible factors to consider...

1. Hawaii is a very small place (pressure on specific beaches)
2. Hawaii was colonized by whites as a result of political (underhanded) dealings of the Dole company to bribe a chief (of many?) to sign over Hawaii to the American Government.
3. Hawaiian (heretage) people (in general) are not profiting from the insane amounts of tourists who come to Hawaii. Many are servants of the tourist trade.
4. People who own large parts of Hawaii are not Hawaiian (and many do not live in Hawaii).
5. Colonialism... a factor?
6. Is the white guy is a tourist (surfer)?
7. Is this video about a backlash of 100s of years of domination?

I have read articles written by Hawaiian people telling tourists that they should stay home and leave our island alone. We don't want you or your money. The article stated it enslaves us, it does not help us. It was in a Kansai Time Out magazine about 4 years ago (published in Japan in English.).

I believe there is a lot going on in this video that this video does not address. It is more than just a couple of guys looking for the same wave.
Turtle
TURTLE

A working link to that video

Post by TURTLE »

Oh, I found this link worked. Thanks Pimp Hand

http://www.bullshido.com/videos/Hawaiian_Beatdown.wmv

Turtle
~ pimp hand ~

Re: Cultural Significance

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

TURTLE wrote:Possible factors to consider...

1. Hawaii is a very small place (pressure on specific beaches)
2. Hawaii was colonized by whites as a result of political (underhanded) dealings of the Dole company to bribe a chief (of many?) to sign over Hawaii to the American Government.
3. Hawaiian (heretage) people (in general) are not profiting from the insane amounts of tourists who come to Hawaii. Many are servants of the tourist trade.
4. People who own large parts of Hawaii are not Hawaiian (and many do not live in Hawaii).
5. Colonialism... a factor?
6. Is the white guy is a tourist (surfer)?
7. Is this video about a backlash of 100s of years of domination?

I have read articles written by Hawaiian people telling tourists that they should stay home and leave our island alone. We don't want you or your money. The article stated it enslaves us, it does not help us. It was in a Kansai Time Out magazine about 4 years ago (published in Japan in English.).

I believe there is a lot going on in this video that this video does not address. It is more than just a couple of guys looking for the same wave.
Turtle
nice Turtle ... makes you think about the big picture eh :idea:

did you happen to see the lengthy discussions going on at the Star-Board website about this? :arrow: http://www.star-board.com/forum/starbul ... 4111803615
TURTLE

Interesting...

Post by TURTLE »

Thanks for the link to the discussion.

I hadn't seen it the discussion you provided the link for until now. Thank-you for sending it. This particular post on that link regarding surfing in Hawaii hit home for me.
---------------------------------------------------
post number

date
11/15/2004 1:48:46 PM

Obviously, these two natives have trouble understanding anything at all. Should they be locked up? YEAH!!!! You always find this kind of people all over the globe, what strikes me wrong is the reaction of the people, that's fucked up.

Tom
------------------------

Without mentioning any names or places, lets hope this kind of power/capitalist struggle (aboriginal, colonial or foreign ownership) doesn't reach beaches we have come to know and love.

I like Dunkingguy's post. All we need is love!

Turtle.
Hoser

Rules are rules BRA

Post by Hoser »

I've been a sufer for many years.You fuck with the locals and you get fucked up.Void JR cause kooks can't be locals when it's -1 and the wind is blowing 26knots .Yes windsurfers are going to be sailing and the wave are to shit to go surfing.Goddamm Kooks"locals".
:?:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Lets close this off, doods! there's idiots everywhere

Post by KUS »

I've been a sufer for many years.You fuck with the locals and you get fucked up.Void JR cause kooks can't be locals when it's -1 and the wind is blowing 26knots .Yes windsurfers are going to be sailing and the wave are to shit to go surfing.Goddamm Kooks"locals".

I think on that insightful note we can put some closure to this horribly gone wrong thread.... :roll: As I recall everyone is someone else's moron! :!:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....