Help keep kiting access at Goose Spit

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
GregK

Help keep kiting access at Goose Spit

Post by GregK »

Most kiters come to Goose Spit to ride the flat water of the lagoon, but some see the wind-swell rolling in on the Baynes Sound south side and want some of that too.

If the tide is middle or higher as it often is during the windy season, launching & landing on the south side of the Goose Spit park is sketchy - it's zero margin-for-error, with power lines, cars & roadway downwind and very close, well within one kite-line length.

However, if you walk a few minutes west along the beach, out of the Goose Spit park and in front of the HMCS Quadra cadet base, then no more power lines, and the road in the base is farther inland and much less frequently travelled. Note that like everywhere in Canada, below the high-tide line is public access, so the beach in front of the base is open to the public. Still a zero-margin launch in front of the base, just significantly less risky.

Now I know there are excellent kiters that never have a launch or landing go bad, but why risk it when there is a safer launch/landing spot a few minutes walk away ? If the good riders are launching and landing on the south side of the park, soon enough a not-so-good rider will try it, and some dog-walker will snap a picture of the kite in flames on the power lines or wrapped around a car ( hope he hits the safety or horizontal lofting ) and it'll be on the front page of our local paper, and kiting access at Goose could be history.

A two-minute walk is not much to ask. Why risk it ? Stay out of the red zone, launch and land in the green zone.

Comox Kite Repair ( retired )
Aboba

Post by Aboba »

Or just go around the spit off the back?
Your upwind should be good enough if you are planning on going out front anyways.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Thank you Greg for posting that, I have witnessed many close calls on the outside over the years and often thought to myself that is going to end badly, fortunately it hasn't for those I watched, but your 100% right, no matter your skill things can go wrong, and if/when it does, your immediately in danger and definitely place others in immediate danger as well. Those that read this post I feel should man/women up and comment to those that are practiciing this unsafe habit as more than likely they do not read these forums, it seems only those that really are passionate for what is going on and what happens to their area do, so these words only fall on ears/eyes that chances are already practice/fly safely. SO I CHALLENGE and ask all of us to approach others that may not be "practicing" safe habits and at first politely "inform" them. Should they continue to disregard the advice, then take it where you will, I tend to get a little blunt but not all are comfortable with that. Anyways, my two bits

Dale
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Alternatively, if you insist on launching in the sketchy zone, bring your windsurfer.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
JL

Post by JL »

Great points ... I hope this has been added to the wiki :idea:
Thermals are good.
GregK

Post by GregK »

JL wrote:Great points ... I hope this has been added to the wiki :idea:
Excerpt from the Comox Spit BWD Wiki :

Launch Area: Narrow beach on lagoon side beside parking area. If heading out south into the open water, DO NOT launch kites in the first parking lot beside the bluff OR on the park beach in front of the power lines. The parking lot is used frequently by dog and beach walkers. Instead park just before the entrance to the Quadra cadet base, walk down the beach in front of the base and launch your kite there, away from the power lines and cars. When tides are below 2 meters, there are large sandy areas in front of the cadet base to provide a roomy kite launch area

It's been there in writing for a while. Guess I need to add the picture ...
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

am i the only one alarmed there seems to be a rifle range next to the sailing spot? :shock: never knew that before.
GregK

Post by GregK »

There's a lot of neat stuff on the cadet base, a military-style obstacle course, a huge meeting / indoor drill ( marching ) hall, a sailing club, and more. But it's a ghost town most of the year.

Never heard a round fired at the Goose firing range, whereas the CFB Comox range is popping rounds off all the time, not far from AFB.

Being the military, straight shooting is the only thing allowed, so no need to worry.
Sandy Beach

GS kiting access

Post by Sandy Beach »

GregK, sounds like it was super busy at Goose Spit today, along with a film crew shooting too. If anyone catches news footage, pls share. Would love to see the wild action. Thanks!
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
GregK

Post by GregK »

I think Brendan and Dennis caught lots of yesterday's action on their GoPro.
Riderinthestorm

Post by Riderinthestorm »

GregK wrote:I think Brendan and Dennis caught lots of yesterday's action on their GoPro.
I will put them up as soon as i edit them!