Board/Sail Combination

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
otisdadog

Board/Sail Combination

Post by otisdadog »

I was hoping I could get a bit of direction here on how to match my sail against my board. I recently picked up an 80L Naish Kombat Wave board, the only sails I have are Sailworks Retro, it seems every time that I waterstart with these sails the front end of the boards wants to submerge right away.

I've never sailed anything bigger than a 5.5 on the board, I'm just wondering if the sails put a bit too much pressure on the board starting at the beginning?

Any suggestions appreciated.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Board/Sail Combination

Post by winddoctor »

otisdadog wrote:I was hoping I could get a bit of direction here on how to match my sail against my board. I recently picked up an 80L Naish Kombat Wave board, the only sails I have are Sailworks Retro, it seems every time that I waterstart with these sails the front end of the boards wants to submerge right away.

I've never sailed anything bigger than a 5.5 on the board, I'm just wondering if the sails put a bit too much pressure on the board starting at the beginning?

Any suggestions appreciated.
The Retros, as you know, are free ride oriented rather than wave, but it shouldn't matter too much with regards to stuffing the nose. A 5.5 may be a little large, but it should still be ok with a large enough fin. Where do you have your mast foot positioned? Too far forward could be part of the issue. Make sure you have the sail down-hauled to specs. If you have it set too full, it will keep too much shape up high and will stuff the nose and feel very pitchy. Is this the first short-ish wave board you've owned? If so, keep your weight biased back a little more with more weight through the boom and down through the mast foot rather than stomping on the front foot. You want to hang your weight through the rig as you initiate planing and make sure you are bearing off enough. Sorry if these tips seem obvious; I'm not sure what your sailing level is.

Hope this helps a bit!
Poultry in motion
otisdadog

Post by otisdadog »

Thank you for the advice its much appreciated. I'm trying to drop down from a 110L to an 80L board and its a bit of a challenge. I might have my mast a bit to far forward thats due to the fact that I have a 2 bolt mast base so I'm limited on how far back I can place it. I think I'll look at getting a single bolt and see how that works.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I'd stick with that two bolt. The difference in track isn't going to be significant but the strength difference is. I saw three single bolts break this summer, and only two were on the coast, the other was at the lake.

Like Chris suggests, hang off the harness lines more, bear away and lean back.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

110 dropping down to 80 is a big step and will feel awkward at first. Are your booms high enough? This will help you to hang below them to keep the board flat as you work up to speed. If the booms are low the nose can dive (amongst other problems). I also found when I first began sailing a smaller board that it was way easier with loads of wind, maybe with a small sail, than trying to sail in a moderate wind with a big sail. I'd suggest not using a 5.5 till you have time on the board with a smaller sail..
winddude

Post by winddude »

Some good points above, with out really seeing your technique it's hard to comment on your water start technique.
1 - You might be to close to the nose when you are in the water and getting on the board. Try to stay closer to the tail, and keep the board slightly off the wind. When your'e ready to go make a smooth forward and up motion with the sail (kind of hard to explain in text).
2 - Too Much front foot pressure - If you've rounded up into the wind during your water start you might be using a lot of front foot or mast foot pressure to try and bare off.
3 - Underpowered/Not powering Up Soon Enough - also related to rounding up into the wind. A big sail and little board are a difficult combination.
4 - Any combination of these - it could be a mix of these few things.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

u never indicated ur weight...an 80L board is pretty small for most and will float only 80kg (175lbs), as opposed to a 110 which is on the other end of the spectrum generally

the board (all of it) will sink
-with your rig of probably close to 30+lbs
-straps/fin
-you with suit and harness
-force of the waterstart, full sail pushing the board first under before moving ahead...hence you need to stay back keeping the nose up and bearing off

Having said this boards are also rated"" for a general sails size and the smaller ones more geared to waves. The smallest board in a range of volumes is also geared toward the smallest person. An 80 is geared likely to sails ranging from 3.5-5.0 or 5.5, (Kombats made from 05-08? 85 shows 4-6m but they usually stretch the upper end)
http://2005.star-board.com/products/kombat.asp
So you appear to be a beginner sailor, not sure about your weight but u have the smallest board in a line of Kombats, are definitely on the upper end of the range (likely exceeding it) with a 5.5 and then being a powerwave or freeride on top of that will put way too much power onto such a small board in a very inefficient way, causing rails to catch, board to round up, nose to dive and generally feeling crappy underfoot even when it does plane up. A tough combo

Bigger sail doesn't mean faster or better. You could probably waterstart a chunk of 2x12 with a 5.5. Just sail your 110 down to 5.0 or 4.7 conditions for it, then switch boards
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

sinker board is sinky. keep trying!
btw Naish makes the 'Koncept' ; 'kombat' is a starboard. its konfusing. 8)
jim mckenzie

nose sink

Post by jim mckenzie »

It's possible you are just pointing a little too downwind. There is a fine line you can feel when waterstarting between pivoting up into the wind and turning down with the wind. Ideally, you feel that little area that is right between the two. When you have it, you can begin to load the mast with your weight, pull with your back hand enough to turn down wind just a little (not too much) and the nose won't sink. Now hold it there by constantly adjusting with your back hand pressure. Counter the downward mast force with your feet pushing straight down (not outward) onto the board in the footstrap region. Get the board under you while heading off the wind just a little and stand up. Be ready to sheet out a little so you don't get pulled right over. Now you can adjust your point of sail, generally upwind. Simply put; point too upwind and the nose flies up into the wind; too downwind and the nose gets buried into the water. It would be somewhat unusual, but you may be pulling too hard with your back hand or have it placed too far back on the booms.. That would turn you too downwind, overload the mast foot and sink the nose. Just moving that hand forward a bit could help. Good luck, you'll get it.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: nose sink

Post by more force 4 »

Yeah, it really is that easy :wink: :roll: Just remember, if you want easy, go kiting!
JL

Post by JL »

Waterstarting is to me like toe-side on a kiteboard. Some figure it out quickly , others (me) create a mental block & a lot of excuses. BUT once figured out is like riding a bike 8) Oh & good luck with your fishing MF4 :P
Thermals are good.
duckbill

small boards

Post by duckbill »

I have a 77 litre that only comes out in 25+ knot winds. for me that is 5.0 and below but mostly 4.0 and 4.5. are you trying to sail it in enough wind? obviously your weight is a factor. I'm 185lbs. just a thought.
like a duck to water