Maui Beta

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Nov 25 - Dec 2 for me. Quick trip. SUP and windboard ready to go! Can't be much less windy and wavey than my last near skunkage...can it :lol: ?
Poultry in motion
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

Bart at Kanaha Kai is great for gear rentals, they were one of the few shops that would let me drop off my sailboard after sailing and let me take a sup until the next day, then trade back for a sailboard, some shops want to charge you for a sup and windsurf rental for that but not Bart.
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

Kona winds for a few days at least. Might be shut down all the way through to next weekend. Ah well. Snorkel, snorkel. Trades look like they'll be back next weekend. Just in time for WDoc....
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

Found a board at secondwind that I'm thinking of buying and taking back on the plane with me. 2014, light cosmetic damage from a photoshoot, super good deal. Anyone have any experience packing boards on the plane from Maui? Cost with AC? Will the board get blown apart by the baggage handlers?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

G-Daddy wrote:Found a board at secondwind that I'm thinking of buying and taking back on the plane with me. 2014, light cosmetic damage from a photoshoot, super good deal. Anyone have any experience packing boards on the plane from Maui? Cost with AC? Will the board get blown apart by the baggage handlers?
AC does not take surfboards or any windsurf gear so that solves that issue for ya, one of the many reasons I never fly with them....and not the least one :idea: :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I shipped a photo shoot demo board back a few years ago with a freight company. Cost $75 or so, hard to remember exactly. Second wind knew the broker that took care of it all. A lot less hassle than trying to get it on a plane if you already have a lot of stuff.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

Hmm.. wish I knew the broker you used Moo. Kevin at Secondwind will look into options tomorrow, but nothing sounded that cheap and easy. I'll go for the board if I can get it back to the island without crazy hassles. Smokin' deal...
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Keep in mind this was in the heart of the recession so they seemed very open to reducing the price until I said yes. Things are probably more expensive again. I think I grabbed the board for a grand too, which was half price and it had only been in a windless beach shoot and wasn't due for release for a year! Good times.

Good luck!
KayakDoc

Shipping board form Maui

Post by KayakDoc »

G-Daddy, There are a few ways to get boards off the island. You may have to negotiate, but if you can ship to Seattle, Bellingham etc. and then arrange for pick up you should be able to get the price down (if not too much hassle picking it up). Try Fed EX next to Neil Pryde in Kahului. This will at least get you a base price and as long as you ship it on the “slow boat” it can sometimes work out. Next try Neil Pryde (next door to Fed EX) and ask what they will ship it for (this could go either way-good or bad). I would then head up to the cannery in Haiku and ask a few of the board manufactures (including Kazuma’s next to the cannery). They sometimes can be pretty cool guys. Good luck.
saulman

Post by saulman »

if you're going to try shipping to the US to keep costs down, think about shipping to a place called TBS in Point Roberts. Don't know if they do surfboards but they are pretty inexpensive and it's pretty easy to skip over on the Duke Point boat to grab it.

Let me know what you do in case I catch the same syndrome.

S.
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

Still looking at options. Thanks for all the tips guys. It's a smoking deal for sure, that would;d be hard to beat elsewhere. Kevin at Secondwind is looking into shipping options so that I can compare to options like Bruno at 2Rad since he's the major Fanatic/North internet based distributor for NA.

Dead calm on the North side of the island today. SUP'd from Taveres to Ho'okipa. Pretty cool to see the layout of the area from out on the water and get a feeling for how it all works. Would love to see the pros in action there some day.
saulman

Post by saulman »

So Kus, this is what it says on the AC website. Where's the catch? Won't they treat it as a surf board?

edit: Dohhh. Probably the length and length+width+height.

Surfboards are accepted on a space available basis only and should be pre-registered at time of booking. Each surfboard counts as one piece of baggage towards the maximum number of checked bags allowed by your fare type.

Maximum linear dimensions (length + width + height): less than 277 cm (109 in)
Maximum length: 203 cm (80 in)

Waivers/Charges

No oversize charge applies to surfboards, provided they do not exceed the maximum length and linear dimensions stated above.

Surfboards are subject to a handling charge of $50 CAD/USD (plus applicable taxes) for carriage on Air Canada and Air Canada rouge flights, as well as on Air Canada Express flights operated by Jazz, Sky Regional, Air Georgian and Exploits Valley Air:

The handling charge applies per surfboard to one-way flights and for each way of travel on round-trip and multi-segment flight.
Two handling fees apply for two (2) surfboards packed in the same container.
A single fixed handling charge is waived for Latitude and Executive fare customers for travel within Canada, and between Canada and the US. Additional checked baggage rules still apply.

If your baggage count (surfboard + number of bags to be checked) exceeds the maximum number of items allowed by your fare type, additional checked baggage charges will apply, in addition to the fixed handling charge.

Packing instructions
The following will be accepted:

Surfboards packed in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping.
Surfboards packed in a soft-sided container. *
Surfboards not packed in a container: Air Canada will provide a plastic transport bag.*

* Air Canada is not liable if and to the extent that any damage results from the inherent defect, quality or vice of the baggage.

Important: Paddleboards, although similar to surfboards, are not accepted as checked baggage due their length. Most paddleboards are in excess of 304 cm (120 in), which is over the maximum allowable length of 203 cm (80 in). Paddleboards must be shipped via Air Canada Cargo.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I just booked a little over two weeks starting Feb 21. Maybe some other people might be around too?!? Looking forward to it.

Two tickets round-trip from YYJ with Alaska for ~$750 all in, staying in studio suite in Haiku.
downwind dave

Post by downwind dave »

nice! we will be chillin there up to the 27th so i'll see ya on the beach.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Nice! Where are you guys staying?