Why kiters have a bad rep

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

GWIND has never been spotted this far south, it is out of his natural range which is historically defined within the area of a line drawn from Pipers west to Long Beach and North To Columbia Beach.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
GWIND

Ya Moo,

Post by GWIND »

Got a string tied to my leg. Sailed Kook when masts were one piece, then I got wind of the poo thing. Now I'm all whipped up T, my 2014 hit list will include all your sexy beaches. K spot, G spot, Poo spot, JR ( secret ) spot. I will be looking forward to mentally tormenting as many of you Southerners as I can and then returning to the great white North :!:
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
KC7777

this thread

Post by KC7777 »

Wow,

Been off this site for a few weeks.....very lame thread. I thought the guys over on teton gravity were dicks to each other.

Wdude........you have to chill. Kiters are fine.

For example, when at Nitinat I regulary sail straight at Dale and give him the finger (for fun), cause he then chases me around the lake and sprays my face when I miss my jibe and even tries to pull on my clew. He would not f' around like that with me unless he knew what he was doing.

What I am saying is that any kiter who is good enough to jump you is good enough to jump you. They will make it.

PS - seeing that picture of Kus's bare ass makes me think of all the fresh white snow at Baker ....they are remarkably similar in colour.

Kus - FYI there is a "pants on at all times" policy posted on the wall at the Baker cabin.

K
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

I blame JR itself bad vibes in that spot ever since I started surfing 12 yeras ago always felt wierd..... hmmm maybe the place needs more free hugs!@! Now PR on a big NW bliss for surfing!
GregK

Post by GregK »

Any kiter considering jumping hard objects who doesn't get why it's so risky should watch these three videos :

First Ruben Lenten in Tarifa jumping a narrow road - first two attempts he clears it easily - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMkv-SksOIc

Third attempt he sends it, hits a lull, and somehow managed to tweak just enough out of the kite to miss hitting rocks & road by inches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BJJurjBqjQ

Now have a look at Dimitri Maramenides jumping Stiltsville in Key Biscayne Florida, same deal, clears it a few times, then hits a lull after launching another jump and slams into the house - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ohwunDx-k

Should now be obvious - to get the height and distance required to clear the obstacle you have to have sufficient wind, and you can't tell ( no-one can see a lull ) if you 've got it until after you commit to the jump - a Russian roulette deal - reckless if you make it, dumb if it's just you that suffers, irresponsible if it puts others at risk too.
Comox Kite Repair ( retired )
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

GregK wrote:Any kiter considering jumping hard objects who doesn't get why it's so risky should watch these three videos
yeah, but is winddude really a hard object? I can maybe see a case for thick or dense ... but not so sure about hard.
(and I figure there's got to be some kinda joke there involving windsurfer poles, nude rear ends, and really cold weather, but ... Just. Can't. Go. There. I left it up on the tee if any of you want to take a whack at it)

Hey, just joshin' y'all, slow night around here :lol:

[but seriously, that Dimitri M video is sickening....that moment of impact, recorded first person....ugh...coulda been killed for sure]
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Ouch that Pile jump looked mega painful. Which reminds me, I still don't understand the appeal of transition-less parachutey jumps, why not just go para-sailing or skydiving or something?
JL

Post by JL »

Good point 8)
Thermals are good.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

That was just for you, and maybe MartyD and 240 too. :lol: :o :D
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

nanmoo wrote:Which reminds me, I still don't understand the appeal of transition-less parachutey jumps, why not just go para-sailing or skydiving or something?
while we are in question mode, I have a couple.

why do people try do to aerials on a SUP? why not just surf?
:twisted: :wink: :lol:

or for that visiting pro windsurfer doing his incredibly skilled but kinda goofy spinny moves....if you want to wildly gyrate, why not just kite? [smilie=beer.gif] [smilie=axe.gif] [smilie=devil-laugh.gif]

[and like my colleague used to sign her emails, "all said with a smile"....with love and hugs and kisses for all my windsurf and kite and sup friends]
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

how about we cut the banter and just let this stink of a thread just die already? it's embarrassing for the whole community imo.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Well said, thread closed due to lameness.