Attention Dave!

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

Moderate Wind Mateo

Attention Dave!

Post by Moderate Wind Mateo »

Here is a really cool resource I came across thanks to suspicious observers. Have a look , maybe you might want to link to it
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wi ... ,41.38,409
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Attention Dave!

Post by more force 4 »

wow, that is a really cool view! Encourages us to "Think globally", although it might also encourage us to spend more carbon on travel!!

That is really neat to see how the wind patterns are all interconnected. And how some areas funnel wind like the Sea of Cortez and Gulf of Tehuantepec (windiest place I've ever been and its 'lit up' on that view right now). And how the storm hitting the maritimes now (nice cyclonic eye!) has weather all the way fro Cuba feeding it.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Hey, that is very cool. I can see checking this regularly, fun to watch where our storms and weather come from.

And cool to see the wind cranking in Gulf of Tehuantepec, straight offshore. MF4: have you chased wind down there before? My mother lives in Puerto Escondido, and I owe her a visit....thought about checking out wind around Salina Cruz, as I have heard of kiting down there....but not much info out there about it. For surf kiting, offshore wind is sketchy. I think they mostly kite in flat water lagoons around there (vaguely recall hearing about chasing the world speed record, somewhere in that area)
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I was chasing wind but not directly. I was trying to catch up with a Vancouver ketch that had offered me a ride. Bus kept being almost blown off the road. The ketch lost all but one stay on the port side during the crossing of the Gulf so I caught her up. I wouldn't kite on the gulf side! Lagoons sound like a much safer idea.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Don't forget to bring a towel!
Moderate Wind Mateo

Post by Moderate Wind Mateo »

That is the thin edge of it . Click on Earth that is the menus where you can change the all sorts of variables. Plus you can zoom in and out
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Works great on the iPad too. Very interesting to centre it in Antarctica. So many eddys.
I wish my TOW was longer!
JL

Post by JL »

Those vectors (1000 Kpa) are showing the planets surface winds. Awesome link. Click on 'about' for definitions & variables menu :P
Thermals are good.