WHEN TO KITE AND WHEN TO NOT

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

Couple Storm kites out today... The 7m Prodigy is good for me up to 40knots but I'm 220#s ... Short lines help as well and slower turning speeds too... Maybe try the 5m Prodigy / 18-20m lines??

Saw some 8m kites attached to kooks today... What do you say to these tools that hook someone's rigged lines in their leg while dragging off the beach then come back for their board after the malea only to launch himself with a kite overhead on the beach further down almost hitting a log!!
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

kooks

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

Abetanzo, I think you tell them what they need to hear.
superdave
Contributor
Contributor

Post by superdave »

Naish Ride 2's are incredibly stable. The 6 m is the most stable high wind kite I've flown in 11 years! Wind range is spectacular with good bottom end and top end is really limited by your size/fitness/ability...if your big enough and brave enough I don't think 50+ knots is out of the question. High wind kites are all about trust - if you don't trust yours stay on the beach or get some new gear. Just happen to be selling mine! PM if interested.
Last edited by superdave on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
JL

Post by JL »

Dave is that the kite Mr. Watson flies ? He replaced it with THE SAME MODEL a couple years ago 8) You Guys tend to enjoy sessions when most of us are cowering in our vehicles :twisted:
Thermals are good.
superdave
Contributor
Contributor

Post by superdave »

No, Watson's are a few years older (2010 Cults). Good kites for high wind for sure, but I'd rate the Bolts and Ride 1's as better for stability (bit punchy though) and the Ride 2's similar for control in gusts (smooths them out) and better for stability.
ambientrax

RENFREW?!?!?!

Post by ambientrax »

My question... when too kite and when not too?.... it is a bit of a drive, what conditions are prime for riding at port renfrew? knots/ wind direction? can I get a feel for that location through gordons or jordon river wind forcasts? my friends wanna go camping... but I dont wanna go unless I can kite...
ambientrax

Re: RENFREW?!?!?!

Post by ambientrax »

ambientrax wrote:My question... when too kite and when not too?.... it is a bit of a drive, what conditions are prime for riding at port renfrew? knots/ wind direction? can I get a feel for that location through gordons or jordon river wind forcasts? my friends wanna go camping... but I dont wanna go unless I can kite...
Big swell coming sunday... no wind tho
Osprey

Post by Osprey »

Renfrew will blow when the thermals kick in. It is generally a little lighter than staying in Victoria.

It's stunning there. Go for the camping and bring kites. Kiting is a bonus.