Getting more range on a big board?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
TDerk

Getting more range on a big board?

Post by TDerk »

I have a Techno 2 148L 264cmx75cm with a 48 cm fin. In these stronger weather systems I've had some scary moments sailing it with my smallest sail ( 5.8 ). If I get a smaller fin what kind of upper wind range could I get out of the board? Could I use it with a sail smaller than 5.8?
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

Well, while as a beginner sailor having tried a 95 L slalom board in 4.2 conditions and first time at Doug's beach before might qualify me to provide a response, oh and that experience was terrifying, but note that Dale Cook loves that kind of condition for monster distance jumping. You could most certainly sail a smaller sail and fin on the techno, but the cost of an older freestyle wave board in the 90- 100 L range is not a lot more expensive than purchasing another fin, the smaller board will be way more fun, your skills will improve, and the board is still floaty enough to be safe.
Last edited by firstonlastoff on Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winddude

Post by winddude »

Yes a smaller softer fin would generate less lift and make a smoother ride making the board easier to control in stronger winds. Also down haul, out haul, mast track, stance and harness lines, foot straps will give you more range. However a big board will always be big and make certain conditions scary.

If you want to improve make the move to a smaller board.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

If you can't get a smaller board, go to a smaller/flexier fin, move the mast step forward in increments until the board settles a bit more, have the booms low enough that your weight is more on your feet instead of the rig (better control), and finally, make sure your harness lines are long enough that you can keep your body hanging out/away from the rig. Hang like a gorilla on the boom to really weight the mastfoot in overpowered conditions to prevent tail walking. Sheeting out in the puffs will make tail walking worse. Hang like a beast and head upwind in the puffs and stay sheeted in.

The Techno's width, flat rocker and wide tail conspire against you in high wind, so you need to use the "tricks" above. Upper end of that board with a 5.8 and small fin will be around 25 knots unless you are a real beast.
Poultry in motion
TDerk

Post by TDerk »

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. Sounds like a lower volume board is on the menu.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Pretty sweet Quad 92 in Buy and Sell...$1100
:twisted:
Poultry in motion