Port Authority and Kiting

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

LOL i think earning the name Camp Gestapo was enough for me in one lifetime, happy to be just one of the "users" now
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
smokedvw

Post by smokedvw »

Hey guys I was planning to come up to PA at the end of the month to stay at my cabin on Sproat and come into the harbour to kite.

I'm just curious if anyone can explain the rigging areas and riding area.

I have read a few posts but I havent found a specific post for riding / riding out of the Harbour. I messaged Canal beach but they said thats mainly for SUP/windsurfers and not kite launching.

Can someone point out the rigging / riding area on a map? I would like meet a local rider and go out together as well for my first time on the spot to get some knowledge as well.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.230712,- ... a=!3m1!1e3

Thanks

Aaron
Sandy Beach

HQ-Centennial Pier

Post by Sandy Beach »

Update: The Port Alberni Port Authority (PAPA) are in the process of hiring a new Habour Master for PA.
The manager who gave Dale a hard time no longer works in Pt Alberni.

As far as kiting from HQ-Centennial Pier, bring your kite to end of pier, plus something to secure it while pumping up and laying out lines, since it's windy and the concrete pier has a slippery smooth surface.
Have a buddy launch you and jump off the end.
It's smooth, flat water leeward of pier and perfect vantage point for spectators and cameras. You can land at the finger docks (on leeward side of pier) to adjust and also to bring your kite down.

Generally, there's a few kiters most evenings enjoying the thermals. The comox kiters frequent Port Alberni and would be a good group for you to get to know
<a href="/http://comoxvalleykiting.ca/" target="_blank"> Comox Valley Kiteboarding Association </a>

Some more info available <a href="/http://www.bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.php/Harbour_Quay " target="_blank"> HQ-wiki </a>
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Fun place to kite Aaron. I will be on Sproat too 2nd week of July, maybe kite with you if you're still around. (and I am bringing a big kite to hopefully kite Sproat successfully too...last year's 12m attempt failed)

One thing to be cautious of on HQ...if you feel underpowered, DO NOT jump in to try it out. Because as soon as you get downwind of the pier, you are screwed ... no friendly downwind areas.

As for getting out, you have to tack into the bay behind the quay, then do an upwind tack back towards the canal, but sit on the quay finger docks as you pass by. It may take a few tries. May be easier to body drag upwind to them if you have trouble (took me a half dozen tries, til Jacob showed me what to do).

You can then walk your kite up onto quay and have someone land you, or you can eject to 1 line and reel it in.

Fun launching off the little ramps at the edge of the pier...only feet from the tourists. I had some semi-drunk fishermen hooting and hollering on every jump. :lol:
smokedvw

Post by smokedvw »

Thanks for the link on HQ-wiki hopefully I can post up on here and find someone to go with since ill be by myself.

Ill be up there July 3 to the 10 or 11th. Ill probably post up in a separate area to see if anyone would like to hit up nitinat as well while I am up there.

Thanks

Aaron
smokedvw

Post by smokedvw »

Hey so I checked out the Quay last time I was down there. Do you guys just pump up/setup lines, launch and then jump off the pier?

Where do you land? I'm assuming not climbing back up it somehow.

Thanks ill be back up there for another 3 weeks starting this long weekend.

I also found a place via boat to launch up Taylor Arm I'm going to try.
Sandy Beach

PA-HQ kiting

Post by Sandy Beach »

smokedvw wrote:Hey so I checked out the Quay last time I was down there. Do you guys just pump up/setup lines, launch and then jump off the pier?

Where do you land? I'm assuming not climbing back up it somehow.

Thanks ill be back up there for another 3 weeks starting this long weekend.

I also found a place via boat to launch up Taylor Arm I'm going to try.
Great to hear. Most of the kiters have been pumping/rigging their gear at the end of the pier. Ensure that there is something for weight to hold down your kite and secure your kitebag, etc, since the cement is slippery, especially if the waves are crashing onto surface.

Have a buddy launch your kite and move quickly to end or leeward-end side of pier and keep kite over water while jumping in to inlet.

The kiters have been using the leeward fingers off the main wharf for a place to come in and adjust. Keep kite high and walk up to main pier to land the kite in a controlled fashion.
Some kiters will drop their kite to their buddy on end of big pier for landing, and then take lines off kite, roll up and climb up ladder.

It is an advanced kite launch/landing area, so, keep that in mind with your kite adventures at Harbour Quay in PA. Windy most summer days though:)

Maybe we'll see you next time!
OtLunch

Post by OtLunch »

To add to what Sandy Beach just mentioned about advanced launch and landing...(not trying to sound like a dick)

If one has any doubts about staying upwind or can't read when the wind is starting to die off, this is a spot that should be avoided as the places that you will drift downwind towards are dangerous and risk having this spot closed to all kiters.
Sandy Beach

PAPA- kiteboarding in Alberni Canal

Post by Sandy Beach »

We're still away in Mexico, but because all this 'sh!t hit the fan' and kiting ban at home in PA, since the day we flew out of BC, I thought this is a relevant thread to resurrect.

Jacob Hansen, Alicia LaRue, Dale Moffatt, Rob Gentleman, plus the owners/operators of the Swept Away Inn tugboat met in September, when the PAPA indicated that they wanted to augment a safer launch at Centennial Pier for kiters and bystanders. The group of us drew up some simple designs for an extension-type runway off the downwind side of pier. It would be reasonable, safe and inexpensive. This kiter-only access, plus education, awareness, signs, potential waivers, advanced-level card-members only could be a solution to this situation, instead of an outright ban at this awesome Harbour Quay spot.

I sat beside Zoran (CEO-PAPA) at mayor's breakfast in October (I was presenting with work colleagues about healthcare issues) and after the meeting, he recognized me from the waterfront and stated that the PAPA would like to help the kiters with a launch at Centennial Pier for the upcoming summer. I was encouraged. I followed up in early November with a visit to his office to book a meeting and he was in India on a trade mission (trying to attract LNG and other big PATH projects to PA). I hadn't heard anything from him, until news hit PA about a kiteboarding ban off Centennial Pier.

We truly appreciate that Dale and others are trying to protect access, and help develop a new launch spot (at Lighthouse marine museum), but we strongly believe there's more that can be done to prevent a ban at Centennial Pier. The Harbour Quay merchants are up in arms about losing the kiting scene there, plus positive interaction with public at the Centennial Pier. I reiterate the Centennial Pier's purpose was for 1)recreational access to Alberni inlet, 2)public access 3) economic diversity at waterfront.

There's a lot more to this ban than meets the eye and it's much more apparent from afar. We need to satisfy not only the kiters, but public and businesses, who have been benefiting from the growing kiting scene at HQ with signage and other measures.

We are looking forward to this upcoming windy season (coming soon!), plus all of the important work ahead.
AC

Post by AC »

Where do I sign ?
jim mckenzie

Post by jim mckenzie »

It's sounding like you need a rescue boat/kiter control service; someone retired with a jet ski and a bull horn. Call him the Harbour Master.
Sandy Beach

Port Alberni Port Authority and kiteboarding

Post by Sandy Beach »

Today's front page news in Port Alberni indicates the public and local Harbour Quay merchants' overwhelming support to maintain the attraction of kiteboarding on city's waterfront.

<a href="/http://www.avtimes.net/news/local-news/ ... -1.1757442" target="_blank"> Alberni Valley Times: kiteboarding site can be found: PAPA </a>

This provincial media release helped put a big spotlight on the issue.
<a href="/http://globalnews.ca/news/1799929/port- ... ular-pier/" target="_blank"> GlobalTV : PAPA don't preach :)</a> . Side note: Gillian Trumper (as shown here as the spokesperson for PAPA is NO longer chair of the board).

Here is the proposed new launch spot before the dock moving has happened. <a href="/http://www.bigwavedave.ca/webcams.php?cam=11" target="_blank"> BWD Harbour Quay webcam </a> It's the water-level floating dock (just left of centre) in view of the BWD Harbour Quay webcam. Currently, since spring 2014, this lower-level dock has been closed to public access for repairs.

Windy season's fast approaching!:)
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

We have started a FB page that will keep everyone posted on any new information....apologize but dont know how to post this as a link..

https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Po ... 917?ref=hl
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
Sandy Beach

South Port Kiteboarding collaborates with PAPA: new launch

Post by Sandy Beach »

The access to our windy inlet continues it's evolution. In the local Port Alberni newspaper today, there's a positive article on the collaboration of Port Alberni Port Authority and South Port Kiteboarding Group.

<a href="/http://www.avtimes.net/news/local-news/ ... -1.1784089" target="_blank">Alberni Valley Times: Launch Site in the Works</a>

Local kiters kitesurferDale and winddivaAlicia were present with the re-positioning of the docks for preferred wind angles at the new launch location this week. Awesome work to all involved.

We are excited about the progress and turn of events !!:)

Plus, a huge perk is that the Harbour Quay webcam in Port Alberni points right at the new launch, which will be awesome this upcoming windy season! <a href="/http://www.bigwavedave.ca/webcams.php?cam=11" target="_blank">HQ webcam</a>