Is bigger better..??

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Is bigger better..??

Post by Bobson »

I've asked Santa for a 9.0(ish) meter sail for Xmas. :?: I was wondering if there are any Formula sailorz out there that have any info on sailing bigger gear..?? My largest sail currently is a 6.9 and I'm looking at getting a 9 (ish) sail for lighter days and was wondering if that is going to be too big or maybe not big enough. I remember seeing some formula gear in the IV cam last January. If anyone has any comments or suggestions I would appreciate it..?? :P
windskipper#1

Is Bigger Better

Post by windskipper#1 »

Hey Bobson, if you are going to get into the cool world of formula, 9.0 is on the small side of the Quiver. The Big side is 12.0! Great formula racers such as Sam Ireland have to hold this sail down in up to 30 knots in order to place well! I would say if you want one of these sails, you should start with a 10.5 and go bigger.
Made In Russia Guy

Re: Is bigger better..??

Post by Made In Russia Guy »

Hey Bobson, try to talk to Mark or Paul from Bosun's Locker. They both sail formula and both look like pretty approacheble guys.
Chris

Nine - Ho

Post by Chris »

Hi Bobson,

I agree with windskipper, 9.0 is on the small side. On the otherhand, you may not need to go bigger than a 10.5 or so if you are more into cruising around in light air. You will still get the advantage of light wind planing and range, but you would miss out on the extreme upwind and downwind angles necessary in racing (with a 11.5 or larger sail).

Make sure you invest in a good carbon boom and good mast for the sail or it'll feel pretty noodly and unwieldy. Good fin selection for the big stuff will go a long way as well.

Hopefully some of the Formula Guys can chime in with some thoughts.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Is bigger better..??

Post by Bobson »

Thanx for the info. I am not going to start entering races yet(except against anyone out on the water that day). I'm mostly just looking to increase the days I can get out and plane. Just to add I'm 220 lbs. which probably makes a difference and only have a stock 54 cm fin. When should I start thinking about fin size..??
ps. I'm thinking Santa is getting a good deal on a used mast and sail but I don't think he can afford the larger boom needed as well. How much of a difference will I notice using an aluminum boom do you think..?
can651

large sails/gear

Post by can651 »

The 9.8m is the best all round sail for this area (I.V. Nitinat etc). At your weight a 10.4m would also be a consideration. Your problem will be, as the sail size increases so does the need for more specialized equipment. Mast, boom, board and fin become important. You will want a 75% to 100% carbon mast, 68cm to 70 cm fin, and a carbon course boom. Chinook does make an aluminum course boom and they must feel that it works but no one I know of has tried one. If you want more info let me know. The few of us that sail formula gear here in town are always willing to help someone new getting into it.
Paul.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Bobson,

On the boom issue, you will notice a HUGE difference in performance and feel between carbon and aluminum. This is true for any sail over 6.0 or so (especially with your 220 pounds). The aluminum boom simply deflects more (gets wider and shorter) in gusts and pumping. This has the effect of deepening the draft and shifting the center of effort at just the time you want it lean and stable. Even on your 6.9 Ezzy you'd feel a big improvement in performance with a carbon boom. A carbon boom should also better hold up to the stresses you'll be putting on it.

However, an $800+ carbon boom ain't cheap. You can rig a system (check the Gaastra forums for info on the design) that utilizes an aluminum boom with a taut length of line tied between the two arms. This line is actually passed through a small, reinforced slot in the monofilm when the sail is rigged. The line prevents the boom from deflecting in the puffs or pumping. One caveat with this system is that you MUST untie the line before derigging or you'll tear the monofilm with the line. This system can still be used with an adjustable outhaul as long as the length of the slot accomodates it. Cutting a hole in your brand new monofilm race sail probably isn't high on your list of things to do, but it works ok.

OR just get by on the standard aluminum boom and wait till you can get the cash together for a used or new carbon boom!

I personally have found carbon so much nicer in every respect for race sails that I can't go back to aluminum for sails over 6.5. Even at my 195 pounds I tend to break at least one aluminum boom a season (usually the starboard jumping side). I am no longer doing much racing, but when I was, this breakage issue was the same even without much jumping. My carbon booms tended to last much longer regardless of type of use.

Best of luck with all da stuff!
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Is Bigger better..??

Post by Bobson »

:lol: Hey I really, really appreciate all the suggestions and info people have shared with me. It all really helps. I'm pretty sure I'm going to start a bit smaller for the price reason mostly and to try it out to make sure it is something I like and will stick with. I'm thinking a 8.9 sail(I hear Santa can get a great deal on these) and a 520 mast(100% carbon) and super course boom(aluminum). This should help get me out on days with 10-14 kts of wind and hopefully get me planing which is what I'm really after....'the speed'!! If it's working for me and I can increase my skills then I'll think about the larger sails and the carbon boom. Oh ya, and if I win the flippin' lottery :shock: ...HA...HA!!

If the Fomula sailorz are going out sailin' around town please let me know so I can come and possibly learn from you(if I can keep up on my smaller 8.9 sail....HA! again!). If anyone knows of a 68-70cm fin for sale let me know as I'm guessing that will help get me planning without as much wind.

THANKS AGAIN!!