2004 kites dangerous?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
HiyoSilver

2004 kites dangerous?

Post by HiyoSilver »

Hi kiters of BWD,
I thought there was a discussion here somewhere about old kites (pre 2010??) that were dangerous because of the lack of depower-abilities... ?
But I cant find it anymore...
What was the scoop? Can you point me to that discussion or give me your opinion?
So I have a couple of Naish kites I bought years ago to try kiting - but only did a few times - and now I'm wondering if it would be safe to do so again with these kites. Or sell them.
Thanks!
OtLunch

Post by OtLunch »

Please don't sell those kites, instead donate them to someone like Kalena who will turn them into clothing, bags, etc....

1- these kites are not safe
2- anyone who would appreciate them for their performance is now using gear that outperforms those kites.

-Todd
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

Okay, I won't sell them - I promise!
And consider donating.

I guess I should try use them either, eh!? :shock: Unless steady, light wind maybe??

So when did kites become safe(r)? Was it 2010?
OtLunch

Post by OtLunch »

Some kites as far back as 2006 would be considered safe but for the price that you will pay for a used kite, don't bother looking beyond 2010. As a general rule, they will be much easier to fly, better quality, and safer.

What's your budget?
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

I'm not really looking to buy any kites right now... just hoping I could give it a try some time :)
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

Don't do it. You'll have a lousy time, won't be able to stay up wind and you'll have a hard time getting a launch as no one will want to be the one that puts you in the hospital.

I hear we live in a town with a kite designer. Never heard of this Naish, but you might like Ocean Rodeo!
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

Haha :lol: Thanks!
GregK

Post by GregK »

Hiyo - second and support all the previous warnings. While a 2004 Naish kite was a great kite back in 2004, kite design has come a long way in terms of safety and performance. 2004 Naish kites are likely basic 4-line deep-C shaped kites with :
- very narrow wind range, won't fly well with too little wind and very limited depower within and beyond that wind-range, to the point of being very dangerous
- very challenging to re-launch form the water

I have tinkered with 2004-era C-kites to try and make them more user-friendly, added a 5th line for improved safety + slight re-launch improvement and a leading edge bridle to improve the depower ( which did help the depower ) but even with all this I was not happy with the kite handling. The newer designs have much better upwind ability, so much better water re-launch, they make learning to kite so much simpler. It really isn't worth the effort trying to modernize these old C kites, they are better off becoming a hammock, jacket, or shopping bag.
Comox Kite Repair ( retired )