when piper's works best

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

~ pimp hand ~

when piper's works best

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

this is my own persnonal opinion/theory as to when to be there ...

forget about the NW clearings and fronts, the wind has too much West in it, hence it's too offshore ... but when there's a STRONG high pressure system over us, like when the outflows start working out of mainland inlets, the wind comes more out of the north which makes it more doable

i'm not saying you can't do fronts/clearing there, but ALL my sessions have been during a nice sunny high and in the am.

on every trip i ever made to piper's there was never a shortage of other sailors ... seems there are some locals that know when to show up there.

to be honest, i'd be looking back to vic or gordo's for fronts/clearings

someday everthing will fall into place and the conditions will be perfect(it can last for days) and you will be stoked
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

For fronts clearing, we've had success in Nanoose Bay. It works great on a WNW or even W I think, when it's too offshore at Oar Rd. It's super flat behind the breakwater for kiting.
Signature Block.
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

thanx for that Mattdog ... glad to hear there are some places that work on the frontal/clearing westerlies in the Nanaimo area