Nitinaht Sauna Authorized!

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Ridelikehell

Nitinaht Sauna Authorized!

Post by Ridelikehell »

Attached is the letter of authorization from the ministry to build the sauna at nitinaht. If anyone is interested in building it please print the letter in case anyone gives you any grief. Note that the sauna plans must remain the same or very close to the plan that Herman had approved (There had to be sufficient outs for fire escape and there must be a spark arrestor on the chimney). Note the dates- it must be down by the end of sept.

I was told it would be fine to build it on a trailer so it can be towed on and off the beach easily and stored in the village. If anyone has a tandem axle trailer like an old rv trailer or something that'll take the weight please feel free to donate it! In this case the sauna would have to be narrow enough to fit through the trees at the beach access.

Honky
Attachments
Nitinaht sauna letter of approval2 of 2.png
Nitinaht sauna letter of approval2 of 2.png (268.33 KiB) Viewed 3914 times
Nitinaht Sauna  Letter of approval 1 of 2.png
Nitinaht Sauna Letter of approval 1 of 2.png (112.94 KiB) Viewed 3914 times
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

This is the picture on Google Earth.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/88037465 ... google.com

[/url]
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Some more pics
Attachments
Sauna5.jpg
Sauna5.jpg (115.16 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
Sauna4.jpg
Sauna4.jpg (75.84 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
Sauna3.jpg
Sauna3.jpg (59.6 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
Sauna2.jpg
Sauna2.jpg (106.32 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
Sauna1.jpg
Sauna1.jpg (105.6 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
Nimpkish-Bill

Post by Nimpkish-Bill »

Guess that means there's some work to do this weekend?
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Chris and Pat might try to "make a trailer" by ripping off the rv. (I understand the go pro requirement now :) )

Luke/Brandon/Marty/Dennis etc (or whoever).... will be pulling out Sauna stuff and lay it on the beach, maybe build it if its still good, maybe salvage it and take measurement to build a new one later.

Once this is done then could be a group decision on what would be best:

1: Re build the old one if not rotten

2: If Rotten, salvage anything that can be save, door/window/stove?/fastener etc...

2a: If Trailer Chain Removal RV successful, take measurement to build a new one on the trailer? (Or at least a part of it) Second,smaller part could be store in forest every winter (stove/door area)

2b: If decision is made to not use the trailer, take measurement/drawing to re build a new one similar size to the old one but simplier, lighter and unfortunately uglier but oh well, at least it will be easy to assemble / disassemble. No shingle, thinner walls whatever.

3: Once we have the plans, couple of volunteer gather week evening in Victoria, get supply, pre cut stuff, make it happen within the next 2-3 weeks?

Im ready to put in about $200 towards it (I think $400-$500 would cover most of the cost since Luke alrdy purchase a new stove). If, obviously a new one has to be built.

Just my 2 cents. Im pretty sure lots of people wouldnt mind to help and to spit in small contribution if construction of a new one is needed. Just need to know if a new one has to be build or not, which you guys will know this weekend.

Lets hope for the best, maybe the old one can be rebuild.

I have commitment to Renfrew this w-e, cant be there but im willing to help whenever I can. (under direction, I know nothing in wood working/construction)

As Luke mention on the other post Anyone going to Nitinaht this w-e willing to give a hand it will be apreciated.
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

I'll pick up some tarp and try and find some replacement shigles too.

Thanks to Pat for the stove. He gave us an awesome price on it.
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I'll be there sat-sun and will help between wind. I'm fairly competent building things and also breaking them.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
winddude

Post by winddude »

I might bring the chainsaw just for fun!! Maybe a hammer and any other tools? But I'm hoping there's wind!!
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

skywalker wrote:I'll pick up some tarp and try and find some replacement shigles too.

Thanks to Pat for the stove. He gave us an awesome price on it.
I wont be able to make it up for this.
A free source for tarp: go to the lumber yards, the tarps that lumber gets wrapped in for shipping is usually thrown out/they give it away for free. It's heavy duty stuff too and holds up to UV better than canadian tire tarps. You'd just need a staple gun (there's no eyelets for tying it down).
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

I posted some pics of my "MobileSauna" in the gallery section.

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/gallery/thumb ... ?album=944

It's no done yet but it is functional.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Tks Joostio for the pics, nice work you did!!!

Update on Sauna:

Huge thanks to everyone helping out and Brandon for the tools. The carpenter from Vancouver and Poey for taking the lead.

Unfortunately lots of piece were missing for the Sauna, and not knowing that the door was going on an angle, (as seen on Sauna # 1 and 2 picture) it made for very weird angles...

To top it all, the 8 foot wall on the outside (west/wood side) now has a "6ft addition to it.... That was to accommodate our mistake of putting the door parallel to its left wall as oppose to on a ~45 degre angle as seen in #1/2 pics.

And the piece that f##k us all up was the back wall... We all remembered that was the back walls because of the door in the back that Herman would put the stereo in and some wood. But none of us remembered the triangle on top of it, and we all thought that who the h??? will put a triangle on it just for fun. Its got to be this way... Thinking of it now I think that that top triangle goes there but incline maybe, which would make the back roof? But it was put straight for storage?

So it went up like this.
(pictures later)

Bottom line: The Sauna frame/shape is now WAY TOO HUGE. (way too much volume compare to Hermans sauna, wont be able to achieve much heat even if extremely well isolated). We didnt know till seeing the pictures...

Anyway, if some experience wood workers want to take charge, please do so. You ll have lots of people that want to help, and follow what you say.

Peter think that it would be better to use the old stove and keep the new stove for a possible future, much simpler Sauna. (rectangular, with roof higher on the back, lower on the front). Like this less job to do.

If anyone with wood working experience want to step up / take charge, feel free. You ll have lots of hands willing to help out, even if we dont have much experience we can still screw stuff, hold stuff, bring this, bring that, etc... We could "unbuild the roof structure", put the door on an angle like the old one and improvise a simplier roof, much of the height on the back, going straight down. Using scalvage stuff and super cheap plywood sheets since
this would be the last year using Hermans wood/setup. No "Beauty needed", just make something work since much the wood will be scrap afterwards.

Unless we have someone like Herman in future years, if the Sauna happens again it should be rebuild from scratch in a smaller, simplier, uglier and idiotproof design. So 2-3 person could put it together in a few hours. And secure it easily in September.

I guess thats it.
(Marty and Dwayne have all the lath, tarp, and other stuff to cover the inside if ever the sauna is done)

*** -> Easy, cheap, quick and dirty solution? Would that work? -> ***
Keep everything like it is right now, lets just use remaining plywood for parts of the roof and tarp the roof, ugly but oh well.

Then put "tarp walls" inside to reduce volume inside. (some 2 X4, not even a wall, put the tarp on it with the lath). There would be a void space, no twilight, but who cares, at least there will be a sauna.

Hopefully the Sauna last for July-Aug. Have a last night Sauna on the Friday Labour day weekend. Start and complete salvage of it on the Saturday/Sunday asking for volunteer to help out. Burn whats not salvageable, store what is salvageable.

My 2 cents :(
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Some Pics of the situation...

Anyone with building experience willing to "take charge" and try to do the best out of this situation?

(you ll have lots of people wanting to help out!!!)

Pics:
Attachments
QuickAndDirtyFixMaybe.jpg
QuickAndDirtyFixMaybe.jpg (911.39 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
BackWall.jpg
BackWall.jpg (986.37 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
ExtraWall.jpg
ExtraWall.jpg (897.96 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
Angle.JPG
Angle.JPG (907.82 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

Call me crazy but maybe we need a big ass sauna for 20. The new stove will pump out tons of heat and we just need to make sure it's insulated well. I can certainly chip in to buy materials but I am definitely not a builder (except for boats). I can follow random instructions from random construction supervisors pretty well but that's about it. I'll be at the lake next week so let me know what we may need.
albertaboys

Post by albertaboys »

Teabag,

The sauna had 4 triangle roof parts, the cutouts in the walls were for the roof to slide into. I attached a pic when we were helping Herm...

Yes you are correct, the door went on at 45deg, there was also a small triangle section over the window...
Attachments
sauna
sauna
sauna.JPG (886.49 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Greg, Chris said that the last year, in 2012, Herman made the sauna larger, (which would explain the back), and there was not enough heat. And this was with Herman fixing it 24/24 7/7....

What we need:

1: Accept that no one is there full time with a passion for wood work anymore, with missing pieces, etc... It has to be a quick and dirty Sauna, smaller improve roof than the other ones....

(in an evening, 2-3 persons), only drills needed:

1: Deconstruct what has been construct
(i.e the entire new roof frame has to go) (~ 1 hour someone with a drill)

2: Remove extre wall on the west side (tree side)

3: Remove door/stove shape thing from walls

4: Reconnect door/stove shape thing on an angle on both walls

A second evening:

5: Take spare 2X4, plywood and build a simple roof on that now almost rectangular shape Sauna... "A la Homer Simpson Built" Roof. (might just be tarp, we dont have enough plywood, not worth to buy any new material for this sauna since it is too hour intensive to build properly without Herman there. (and with all the missing roofs/pieces).

6: Tarp the entire inside best possible, there are lath available and tarp at Marty and Dwayne. (and exacto knife and the cement glue).
Place old stove in it, might still be good for one more season.
Secure new stove in wood properly for future years if enough interest to build a simpler 8-12 people Sauna as oppose to 16-20.

7: If nothing of that is done by first week end of July, burn the whole thing, dont think we will see a Sauna at the lake till someone retire and have his whole summer at the lake and have a passion for Sauna and wood working experience.

8: If its done burn the whole thing on the Saturday of the Labour day weekend, hopefully people will help out a little in the day to unbuilt/scalvage whatever is good from it.

Busy next 2 weekend, cant go to the lake.
Not sure if Brandon/Poey still willing to brin tools and help out, not sure how many people do want to spend 3-6 hours of their time...

There seem to be lots of indian, unfortunately not enough chief :(