Wam 2014 vs Wam 2015

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
fonkypigeon

Wam 2014 vs Wam 2015

Post by fonkypigeon »

Hey Guys,
Maybe some of you tried both and would be able to help me out.
I'm about to buy the Wam, but I don't know between the 2014 in 6ft (only size they got in stock) and the 2015 in 5.11

It's going to be my first surfboard. My concerns are the following :
the 2014 got the option to ride in tri or quad fins. but the side is a bit big I think.
the 2015 is a bit more expensive and doesn't have the 3/4 fins option, however they have the size I want : 5.11

I'm 178cm and 85kg. What would you recommend me ?

Thanks a lot.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

One inch is hardly going to make much of a difference, especially if it is your only board you won't ever know the difference. Just about any surf board will work, you could even surf a piece of plywood if you wanted. Go with the cheaper one, no question. More fin placement options is better, but I doubt you'll find yourself changing it around much, again, just about anything works well. You'll probably end up loving whatever you buy, until you try something else, and then you will want that. It's the nature of the sport.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
fonkypigeon

Post by fonkypigeon »

nanmoo wrote:One inch is hardly going to make much of a difference, especially if it is your only board you won't ever know the difference.
Thanks for your answer !

regarding the size though, It's what I thought as well, but regarding TT, But When I ride a 136 or a 140, there is a world between the boards. But I don't know at all about surfboards, maybe it doesn't make any difference...
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Way more volume in the surfy so the marginal difference as a percent is substantially less dramatic compared to the TT. Also, if you're strapless you have the freedom to move around to leverage volume and conditions. Inches to inches Width makes a way bigger difference then length in how the board handles, then fins, the overall outline then length imho (of course drastic differences will be more obvious).
Don't forget to bring a towel!
fonkypigeon

Post by fonkypigeon »

Thank you a lot for your informations.
So just after reading you, I was about to take the cheaper one and that's it, but in between they sold the last 2014... At least I had no choices !

Thanks again for your technicals advises. As you say, I'll love the board tell I try another one ;-)